Coffee in Executive Lounge on Riviera

espmass

Currently on board Marina and Executive and Concierge lounge access is only open 8-12 and 4-8pm.   You are not allowed to go beyond barrier to get your own and someone  is stationed there to make your drink or give you pastry.  Same in Horizons and Terrace Cafe and Barristas lounge area.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slw207693 said:

Currently on board Marina and Executive and Concierge lounge access is only open 8-12 and 4-8pm.   You are not allowed to go beyond barrier to get your own and someone  is stationed there to make your drink or give you pastry.  Same in Horizons and Terrace Cafe and Barristas lounge area.  

Great to know. Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, Clutj said:

With 100% vaccinated and all negative at boarding, and crew presumably tested at least on embark day… why are hours limited and barriers up?  Plus surfaces aren’t really the COVID transmission risk…

You are so so correct! I am pro vaccine, pro mask, where appropriate, but many of the surface precautions go a little too far. Sticking with the science means enforcing where evolving science indicates, but also relaxing  "precautions" where appropriate to conform with the latest information. 

1 hour ago, Clutj said:

With 100% vaccinated and all negative at boarding, and crew presumably tested at least on embark day… why are hours limited and barriers up?  Plus surfaces aren’t really the COVID transmission risk…

Because the danger to the cruise line from even a single case of COVID is too great. That ambulance chasing cruiselaw attorney and various media have poisoned the perception, and now only 100% perfect is acceptable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because the danger to the cruise line from even a single case of COVID is too great. That ambulance chasing cruiselaw attorney and various media have poisoned the perception, and now only 100% perfect is acceptable. 

Fair point! However, my experience traveling Oceania over the years is that they tend to have an operating culture of bureaucratic rule enforcement without keeping passengers informed regarding the rationale. Specifically, a looong noro virus Transatlantic on Marina with a lot of discourteous barking at passengers...not just encouraging hand washing and other precautions, but speaking to us like kindergarteners as if it was all our fault. I continue to travel O and so so love the many positives, but a culture of non communication and less than friendly attitude, especially when some sort of adverse issue arises seems to be their operating style.

14 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I totally agree with you. It is a shame the situation exists as it does but we have to live with it. Never really have understood why much of the media seeks to demonize the cruise industry, even before Covid. 

May I also remind everyone that the cruise ships must operate under the rules of the area/nations visited.

Rational French! Is that an oxymoron? Doesn’t matter. If you’re sailing their waters, you abide by their rules. It might all be Schengen, but rules in France, Italy, Spain, et. al. vary significantly. For those of us that live in the USA, here’s a secret you may have missed, rules change as you cross State lines and even City limits. How rational is that? Science is often ignored right here at home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

May I also remind everyone that the cruise ships must operate under the rules of the area/nations visited.

Rational French! Is that an oxymoron? Doesn’t matter. If you’re sailing their waters, you abide by their rules. It might all be Schengen, but rules in France, Italy, Spain, et. al. vary significantly. For those of us that live in the USA, here’s a secret you may have missed, rules change as you cross State lines and even City limits. How rational is that? Science is often ignored right here at home.

I agree when it comes to masks and even vaccine rules But, are you saying you have knowledge that European country covid related  rules cover items such as the details of how food service is performed? 

Here we have cases where fully vaccinated people have come down with Covid 

so maybe  the cruise line is just being pro active

All  they need is for 1 case of covid onboard  & back to the port  they go 

JMO

I was surprised to see the restrictions in the Executive Lounge, but we last sailed in November 2017, pre-Covid, and so I do understand the what seem to us "extreme" restrictions. Better than getting sick ...

We didn't go into the Lounge very often on previous cruises.  Mainly if we got back from a land tour too late for lunch.  If sandwiches were gone, we'd order a snack into our room.

It's a new world since we last sailed ...

Mura

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Exactly...be pro active on what works...masks and social distancing and vaccinations!  We now know that Covid is almost never transmitted through surface touching so time, effort and credibility squandered on the irrelevant stuff distracts from effective measures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I agree when it comes to masks and even vaccine rules But, are you saying you have knowledge that European country covid related  rules cover items such as the details of how food service is performed? 

Yes, that is correct. I’m on the Riviera transatlantic and we’ve heard from folks currently onboard that as soon as we leave EU waters, CDC rules will apply. Meaning that prior to that point EU/specific country rules apply. 

I'd like to remind everyone critical of the sanitation measure in place that Covid is not the only pathogen cruise ships need to worry about.  Norovirus,  to name just one, is still out in the world and is transmitted via surface contact. 

A serious outbreak of any disease on a cruise ship could end this restart in a flash.  

• Like 7

We are on Riviera and safety and being able to continue to sail is Absolutely #1 and they will be doing all they can to make everyone safe. 
In the E and C Lounges and Horizon and Baristas there is an attendant available all the duty hours to provide service and no you can not touch food or drink. The attendant does it all. The Concierge’s have specific duty hours and availability. 

Just remember folks, any past rules and guidelines BC are just history and nothing applies. Every country and municipality has different rules that are applied differently. Our perceptions and thoughts don’t apply, not our rules, not our game.  FLEXIBILITY is the name of the game

Life on board is not difficult and whenever you choose to sail again, we all can do our part to make sure Oceania Cruises is sailing and remains our line of choice. This is our third cruise segment on Riviera and it has been GREAT. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great points! On our cruise this summer we weren’t allowed to touch food, or even breath near food. 

Mauibabes. Has Oceania finally put the glass all the way to the counter tops so people can’t stick their arms underneath to point!!!

No glass yet, just the thick Saran Wrap that precludes food touching. You may see glass come when ships have there retrofits. When I see the F and B Director in the morning, I will ask her what the plan is for the future. 
we know the Wrap always comes out if there is a Noro. Virus break out  but it seems like Covid precautions are destined for a much longer run than a temporary situation. 
Mauibabes 

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

I disagree. Being "pro active" in ways that make virtually no difference is feel good covid theatre. Takes credibility away from meaningful efforts. 

Edited by edgee
Clarity
  • Like 1