**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI CRUISERS !! We will be driving to New Orleans for cruise on Saturday, January 15th, and are planning on getting as far as Springfield on Wednesday evening. Our plan is to be tested Thursday morning in Springfield before we continue on to New Orleans. Yes, there are several CVS and Walgreens in town- does anyone have any info on any of these places for testing - good or bad? Or a suggestion of other places in town to test? It's stressing me out...lol!!

OK, I'm obsessing and am paranoid we are going to screw this up!  I've been searching/researching for TWO HOURS and I still don't know the following! HELP!

We have the BinaxNow tests.  I've read through the thread.  I've watched several videos.  My questions are: 

1) does the test have to be in view of their camera for the waiting 15 minutes? (I'm not counting the actual opening of the test, the sample extraction and activating the test - just the wait time, when they say you can walk away.)

and if so

2) how do you do this?  The videos I've seen had ppl have special tripods to hold the phone to show it. We don't have that.  My SurfacePro has a camera but I don't think I can angle it to show the card on the table.

Logistics.  That's what I'm worried about.  LOL.  We leave in 10 days...

Thanks!

8 hours ago, cpshaye said:

OK, I'm obsessing and am paranoid we are going to screw this up!  I've been searching/researching for TWO HOURS and I still don't know the following! HELP!

We have the BinaxNow tests.  I've read through the thread.  I've watched several videos.  My questions are: 

1) does the test have to be in view of their camera for the waiting 15 minutes? (I'm not counting the actual opening of the test, the sample extraction and activating the test - just the wait time, when they say you can walk away.)

and if so

2) how do you do this?  The videos I've seen had ppl have special tripods to hold the phone to show it. We don't have that.  My SurfacePro has a camera but I don't think I can angle it to show the card on the table.

Logistics.  That's what I'm worried about.  LOL.  We leave in 10 days...

Thanks!

No the test Does Not need to be in view of the camera during the 15 minute wait, just put the test down and don’t mess.

You can adjust the phone or tablet so they can see you, you can show them the QR code of the box and also your ID by simply facing those to the camera.Simply hold the phone vertical so they can see the kit as you open it etc. or have someone hold it for you or just prop it up.

When the test is complete, you can just put the phone down but be back when the 15 minute timer is over, it will have a beeping sound so that’s when you pick up. Then you pick up the test and show them the blue control line.

Then you’re done, don’t over think this as it’s a very easy process.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Thanks 1

Omg, thank you, Fred! 

2 hours ago, Wennfred said:

No the test Does Not need to be in view of the camera during the 15 minute wait, just put the test down and don’t mess.

You can adjust the phone or tablet so they can see you, you can show them the QR code of the box and also your ID by simply facing those to the camera.Simply hold the phone vertical so they can see the kit as you open it etc. or have someone hold it for you or just prop it up.

When the test is complete, you can just put the phone down but be back when the 15 minute timer is over, it will have a beeping sound so that’s when you pick up. Then you pick up the test and show them the blue control line.

Then you’re done, don’t over think this as it’s a very easy process.

Fred

14 hours ago, thymcruisers said:

SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI CRUISERS !! We will be driving to New Orleans for cruise on Saturday, January 15th, and are planning on getting as far as Springfield on Wednesday evening. Our plan is to be tested Thursday morning in Springfield before we continue on to New Orleans. Yes, there are several CVS and Walgreens in town- does anyone have any info on any of these places for testing - good or bad? Or a suggestion of other places in town to test? It's stressing me out...lol!!

https://health.springfieldmo.gov/5129/Testing-Information

• Like 1

I doubt it will be the proctored ones for cruising. It'll probably be the same ones you can already buy at Walmart for $14 for a two pack (BinaxNOW COVID‐19 Antigen Self Test) that are FSA/FHA eligible. Many of the "free" testing sites that are everywhere, already charge your insurance (if you volunteer that you have insurance) and those without insurance get billed to uncle Sam or state health departments. It won't be much different than it is currently. It'll just be one more option to make testing more convenient. Hopefully, this omicron doesn't upend everything all over again. Lots of countries already putting restrictions in place.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I doubt it will be the proctored ones for cruising. It'll probably be the same ones you can already buy at Walmart for $14 for a two pack (BinaxNOW COVID‐19 Antigen Self Test) that are FSA/FHA eligible. Many of the "free" testing sites that are everywhere, already charge your insurance (if you volunteer that you have insurance) and those without insurance get billed to uncle Sam or state health departments. It won't be much different than it is currently. It'll just be one more option to make testing more convenient. Hopefully, this omicron doesn't upend everything all over again. Lots of countries already putting restrictions in place.     

That was exactly what I was thinking. They will give you one of those cheap non proctored tests that cant be used for cruising. ...though I have seen some who put in to be covered by their insurance on proctored tests, so some insurance covers them.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:03 AM, Wennfred said:

Some people just don’t read the rules, these people unfortunately will be left behind today.

Fred

PS This couple did call Carnival and learned testing was required and were tested.  When they boarded the shuttle they told us.  I asked if they had something in writing and he said they had confirmation on their phone so it ended well.  👏👏

• Like 2

Question, and I may be missing something.  I see people are paying for the test.  It seems I can go to Walgreens and get the Rapid test for free.  Why wouldn't I?  It states that it's good for most travel including Hawaii.

So, am I missing something?  Can I just got to Walgreens and get the test in the drive though?  It's free and quick.  Plenty of appointments available

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

Question, and I may be missing something.  I see people are paying for the test.  It seems I can go to Walgreens and get the Rapid test for free.  Why wouldn't I?  It states that it's good for most travel including Hawaii.

So, am I missing something?  Can I just got to Walgreens and get the test in the drive though?  It's free and quick.  Plenty of appointments available

Thanks

When we went in late August, cvs canceled our test the day before it was scheduled. We scrambled trying to find somewhere to do the test before our flight. Finally found an urgent care that gave us a 10pm appt the day before we left. We got the results the next afternoon. 

Spending the money for the home test this time (wasn't an option the first time) is well worth the money! 

7 minutes ago, cpshaye said:

When we went in late August, cvs canceled our test the day before it was scheduled. We scrambled trying to find somewhere to do the test before our flight. Finally found an urgent care that gave us a 10pm appt the day before we left. We got the results the next afternoon. 

Spending the money for the home test this time (wasn't an option the first time) is well worth the money! 

Got it.   I was watching testing closely when we went to Hawaii as it was a requirement there too and this is the first I've heard of any testing being cancelled.  Good to know but I'll take the chance.  

12 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

Got it.   I was watching testing closely when we went to Hawaii as it was a requirement there too and this is the first I've heard of any testing being cancelled.  Good to know but I'll take the chance.  

Yeah, I understand. 

My thoughts, spending $35 for a home test and peace of mind is worth it. There were LOTS of CVS that canceled in that time frame. I haven't heard it happening since, but... I'm not going through that again. 

For this next trip coming up, I bought a 3 pack of home test for the hubby and me (reports of not enough of the activation liquid in some tests) so we have an extra. We also have CVS appt scheduled for next Friday. We are Also going to make an appt with Walgreens when the date opens up. 

If all goes well with the home test, we will cancel the others. 

You asked why ppl are buying kits instead of doing the free one. It's bcz some of us are a little gun shy of putting all our eggs in one basket. Ask Saint Greg. He was going on the same Mardi Gras trip as we did. His CVS appt did not get canceled, but he, I belive, had to do the test elsewhere as well bcz he didn't get his results until late. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, thymcruisers said:

Our Walgreens here in Springfield get pretty backed up for rX fills, etc.  I would definitely make an appointment.  

2 hours ago, cruisy-suzy said:

I have a question about the END of your cruise.  I am going on Carnival Sunrise Jan 20 to Princess Keys and Nassau.  When I debark I will go straight to MIA for my AA flight.  Are there any re-entry to US testing requirements?  Thanks!

None. Unless you are flying to Canada or other countries that require it.

off topic: 

On May 3, 2023, U.S. travelers must be REAL ID compliant to board domestic flights and access certain federal facilities.

This keeps getting extended, check your state requirements and their starting dates as it’s different everywhere.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Thanks 1

Sharing my testing experience here (first cruise post-COVID) 

The Walgreens in my state don’t offer rapid antigen testing. I made an appointment for 2:15pm yesterday for the rapid NAAT (ID Now) more than a week in advance online. Waited only a few minutes at the drive through, and the testing process was painless and free. I was not asked for insurance or the purpose of my testing. The tech told me I’d have results back within 8 hours (24h is the estimate stated online). 

As of 9am this morning, I still did not have results, so I used my backup plan and went to a health department site offering rapid antigen testing for asymptomatic individuals. They asked if I had symptoms and why I was testing, but didn’t otherwise comment. I got my negative result within an hour. 

I am heading up the airport now, and still have not received my IDNow results 24.5h after testing. 

Just wanted to share another data point! I am sailing Saturday so I’m sure the other results will come back in time, but I really wanted to know before I got on a plane.  Seems like most here are having great luck with Walgreens, but for peace of mind I’m glad I had a backup. I’m sailing again in April and will use the Heath dept as plan A next time. 

HTH!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruisy-suzy said:

Our Walgreens here in Springfield get pretty backed up for rX fills, etc.  I would definitely make an appointment.  

We will definitely make appt for as early in the day as we can. May try CVS too. Thank you for responding.....hoping we can get this testing bit done in Springfield in a timely manner so we can continue on to New Orleans! As a back-up, are there other testing sites in Springfield?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wennfred said:

None. Unless you are flying to Canada or other countries that require it.

off topic: 

On May 3, 2023, U.S. travelers must be REAL ID compliant to board domestic flights and access certain federal facilities.

This keeps getting extended, check your state requirements and their starting dates as it’s different everywhere.

Fred

Thanks, Fred! I got my real ID and also have my passport 😀

5 minutes ago, thymcruisers said:

We will definitely make appt for as early in the day as we can. May try CVS too. Thank you for responding.....hoping we can get this testing bit done in Springfield in a timely manner so we can continue on to New Orleans! As a back-up, are there other testing sites in Springfield?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gohealthuc.com/mercy-springfield/covid-19-test&ved=2ahUKEwjx0pHQmsn0AhUrl2oFHf4kBigQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1JudKfhXAe6Zfr1LPI_Qzm

We have Mercy health and Cox Health hospitals and urgent care. So yes, there are several options. Good luck! I have driven between Spfd and NOLA several times for cruises.

19 hours ago, LMBB said:

Sharing my testing experience here (first cruise post-COVID) 

The Walgreens in my state don’t offer rapid antigen testing. I made an appointment for 2:15pm yesterday for the rapid NAAT (ID Now) more than a week in advance online. Waited only a few minutes at the drive through, and the testing process was painless and free. I was not asked for insurance or the purpose of my testing. The tech told me I’d have results back within 8 hours (24h is the estimate stated online). 

As of 9am this morning, I still did not have results, so I used my backup plan and went to a health department site offering rapid antigen testing for asymptomatic individuals. They asked if I had symptoms and why I was testing, but didn’t otherwise comment. I got my negative result within an hour. 

I am heading up the airport now, and still have not received my IDNow results 24.5h after testing. 

Just wanted to share another data point! I am sailing Saturday so I’m sure the other results will come back in time, but I really wanted to know before I got on a plane.  Seems like most here are having great luck with Walgreens, but for peace of mind I’m glad I had a backup. I’m sailing again in April and will use the Heath dept as plan A next time. 

HTH!

Update: my results finally came in today at 11:40am (sailing day), about 40 hours after the test. If I had an early boarding time I wouldn’t have made it. 

I have read people going to do their at home tests only to find there was no liquid in the bottle...Are you able to open the test and check for liquid right when you receive the tests? Or can you not "break the seal" to check until you are live with eMed? 

19 minutes ago, mrak said:

I have read people going to do their at home tests only to find there was no liquid in the bottle...Are you able to open the test and check for liquid right when you receive the tests? Or can you not "break the seal" to check until you are live with eMed? 

No. You cannot open the box before you are on the video to test (from the videos I've watched.) that's why we bought 3 tests for the 2 of us AND have appts at cvs later on the day. 

Edited by cpshaye
  • Like 2