Has anyone answered YES to any of the pre-board health screen questions ... and did you get to board?

I'm looking for someone who had a negative covid test in hand but who had to say "YES" to one of the "In the last 72 hours have you experienced any of these symptoms" on the health screening test via the app.  Maybe you had an allergy flare-up because of sinuses and so had a cough and some congestion.  Maybe you had a bout of food poisoning leading to some diarrhea.  For whatever reason you ticked "YES" to one of those questions.  Did that automatically disqualify you from boarding?  Did they investigate further?  What happens if you say "yes" to one of those symptoms?

Be exceptionally careful answering YES to the one about being in contact with someone confirmed positive in the last 14 days. You won't get on board, or at least the several folks I've seen report that happening to them didn't.

Don't be too loose with the definition of "in contact" on that one.

19 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Maybe you had an allergy flare-up because of sinuses and so had a cough and some congestion.

The questionnaire I saw posted on this forum said "significant" symptoms? Not sure if it's been updated since. But perhaps the more minor situations you described would allow you to truthfully say "no".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Preziosa said:

I will never answer yes on any quistion. It s a Very Big risk

Everyone has to make their own decisions about these matters, but we're going to answer truthfully. So the question isn't "should we" or about ethics or what's the best strategy to make sure you are allowed to board (we are well capable of telling a fib - we just don't want to do that) ... the question is what happens when you DO answer YES to one of those questions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMark said:

... the question is what happens when you DO answer YES to one of those questions.

Denial of boarding?

Additional "interrogation"?

Temperature check?

Rapid test?

YMMV?

The answer probably varies from port to port, phase of the moon, etc.  If you don't want to chance any of the above, you should probably cancel your cruise.

• Like 1

There was a thread a month or more ago started by a woman who answered YES to a question for her daughter because she had an asthma attack, I believe, and even though she had info from the doctor they were denied boarding. They went up several levels of managers and maybe even a call to RCI and the answer was Sorry. Maybe search for “denied boarding” and you might find it. I think that was in the thread title.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Espn said:

There was a thread a month or more ago started by a woman who answered YES to a question for her daughter because she had an asthma attack, I believe, and even though she had info from the doctor they were denied boarding. They went up several levels of managers and maybe even a call to RCI and the answer was Sorry. Maybe search for “denied boarding” and you might find it. I think that was in the thread title.

Found it!  And yes, it looks like a single "yes" will result in you not being allowed to board:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'm looking for someone who had a negative covid test in hand but who had to say "YES" to one of the "In the last 72 hours have you experienced any of these symptoms" on the health screening test via the app.  Maybe you had an allergy flare-up because of sinuses and so had a cough and some congestion.  Maybe you had a bout of food poisoning leading to some diarrhea.  For whatever reason you ticked "YES" to one of those questions.  Did that automatically disqualify you from boarding?  Did they investigate further?  What happens if you say "yes" to one of those symptoms?

Because I cough multiple times a day every day, I read the questions as if it says "new or different" cough. If you are at your baseline, there's no sense to check yes because that just leads to unnecessary questions. 

• Like 2

A guy behind us (allure oct 31) had said yes to being more than however many weeks pregnant. Not sure if he did it by accident or to be funny, but last we saw as we were heading inside he was being pulled to the side with his whole group.    They take any yes seriously.   As they should. 

16 hours ago, cindivan said:

A guy behind us (allure oct 31) had said yes to being more than however many weeks pregnant. Not sure if he did it by accident or to be funny, but last we saw as we were heading inside he was being pulled to the side with his whole group.    They take any yes seriously.   As they should. 

The questionnaire is totally pointless because my guess is 99.9999% of the people will not answer honestly.  Being vaccinated and providing a negative covid test should be all that is necessary to board.

• Like 3

I answered the questionnaire truthfully and put 'yes' to the nose congestion question as I had experienced the symptoms in the previous two weeks.
I just got stalled at checkin, a supervisor had to be called but I was allowed to board (no symptoms anymore + negative covid tests + temperature check entering the terminal was ok as well). This was in Barcelona.

Another thread that just amazes me.  Far too many dishonest, selfish an unethical people that want excuses for acting that way.  You know what the questions mean, you need to answer them honestly, regardless of the consequences.  Get the tests, answer the questions honestly and follow the protocols onboard.  It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is.  If you are not willing to do these things, don't cruise.  And by the way, no you cannot share the drink package with your kids or anyone else.  Cruise critic boards do not have the power to grant you absolution, and just because other people may do things does not make it right.

• Like 2

I checked yes to congestion and cough 2 weeks ago as I was boarding Indy.  I caught a cold the week before and had the sniffles and a cough.  No one questioned me about it during check in and I was able to board.  Last week, though, I returned to my office with an even worse cough.  They sent me home with a laptop and told to work at home the rest of the week.  I took a Covid test (we hadn't used our Binax tests since we were able to test at Walgreens prior to the cruise) and it was negative.  Just a cold and the residual cough that always lasts longer than the cold itself.  If I'm lucky they'll send me back home today ;o)

I have been coughing and clearing my throat for the past 30 yrs since I started taking medication for High Blood Pressure. Now my nose is always stuffy and I have to blow it throughout the day ever since I have been wearing a mask for hours on end. I never had this issue before 2020. I would not check yes for any of those questions. I know my body and if I'm truly sick I would stay home.  Honestly if you are traveling through an airport and sitting on a plane with strangers how would you know if you came in contact with someone who had covid while traveling.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, dswallow said:

Be exceptionally careful answering YES to the one about being in contact with someone confirmed positive in the last 14 days. You won't get on board, or at least the several folks I've seen report that happening to them didn't.

Don't be too loose with the definition of "in contact" on that one.

that would preclude everyone who works in health care. 

14 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

I would also be careful if you take public transportation.

where I used to live my state would think anyone taking public transit auto being exposed to Covid.

true but you dont know for certain that someone on the bus/train has it. With healthcare it is known. My concern is my daughter who works in an ER. How do you answer that?

4 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

true but you dont know for certain that someone on the bus/train has it. With healthcare it is known. My concern is my daughter who works in an ER. How do you answer that?

4 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Does she work with Covid patients? Has she been around Covid patients within the last 14 days?

I am the retired tech person maybe someone on here has a biochemical or medical background.

I hope it works out for her, if she is on my cruise I would buy her a drink for being a nurse .

On 11/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, cindivan said:

Maybe he's trans?

On 11/12/2021 at 2:13 AM, MommaBear55 said:

Because I cough multiple times a day every day, I read the questions as if it says "new or different" cough. If you are at your baseline, there's no sense to check yes because that just leads to unnecessary questions. 

Agreed.  My asthma means i cough when going from cold to warm air or visce versa, in dusty areas, etc.  I find putting masks on and off can trigger it now too...stirs up dust in the air near my nose as I inhale apparently.  So long as my coughing is its normal amount/type/frequency then I assume that is not waht they are saking about.  Similarly, I would guess if someone ran up several flights of stairs and was out of breath they would not list that as "trouble breathing"

• Like 1