Celebrity Charging for Home Testing

wendycook22

Thats way cheaper then the airport costs.

I would be happy to have that option.

It sounds like many places are no longer providing testing for free.

I know the All Inclusive in Mexico I'm going to in March now is charging for both the test and any stays for isolation.

Very disappointing for those of us who booked with the understanding that these tests were to be free. If they want to change the rules, let them apply the charges to new bookings going forward, not apply them retroactively to existing bookings.

The cost of the test is not my concern, however. Rather, it's the fact that they won't provide the test at all to those whose return flights aren't within 24 hours of disembarkation. Our flight is not until the following day, so now we have no option other than to find a test facility in Fort Lauderdale. The timing of the flight falls well within the test-to-flight 72 hour window, but Celebrity has chosen a much smaller window. Too bad they won't use the same one that they use for pre-cruise testing.

Disappointing, Celebrity. Very disappointing.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Very disappointing for those of us who booked with the understanding that these tests were to be free. If they want to change the rules, let them apply the charges to new bookings going forward, not apply them retroactively to existing bookings.

The cost of the test is not my concern, however. Rather, it's the fact that they won't provide the test at all to those whose return flights aren't within 24 hours of disembarkation. Our flight is not until the following day, so now we have no option other than to find a test facility in Fort Lauderdale. The timing of the flight falls well within the test-to-flight 72 hour window, but Celebrity has chosen a much smaller window. Too bad they won't use the same one that they use for pre-cruise testing.

Disappointing, Celebrity. Very disappointing.

I agree completely  with the points you make regarding disembarkation testing and find it rather a bold move to change the rules on existing bookings.  If they wish to change then customers should know before before payment or else have the option to cancel with a full refund.  We are currently working on two cruise bookings for  the next 5 months and will be taking this into account when making our decision.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Our flight is not until the following day, so now we have no option other than to find a test facility in Fort Lauderdale.

Aside from RT-PCR, Canada will also accept RT-LAMP test results from people crossing into Canada, and those are available for free right now at many Walgreens.  And there are loads of Walgreens in South Florida. 

Of course, by the time you are travelling, Celebrity's testing setup and Canada's requirements will probably change a bunch of times. Who knows if testing will even be needed then. 

34 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Aside from RT-PCR, Canada will also accept RT-LAMP test results from people crossing into Canada, and those are available for free right now at many Walgreens.  And there are loads of Walgreens in South Florida. 

Of course, by the time you are travelling, Celebrity's testing setup and Canada's requirements will probably change a bunch of times. Who knows if testing will even be needed then. 

For months and months now, I have skipped over posts or threads dealing with where to get tested in Florida because I knew that Celebrity was going to test me. Hah! Now I need to start paying attention and revisit some of those earlier threads.

I too suspect that there will be changes between now and mid-March, hopefully for the better. I'm fairly confident that Canada will change the PCR requirement, but whether or not that will only be for quickie cross-border visits by car remains to be seen.

• Like 3

You probably know/have this already,   @Fouremco, but in case you don't :

https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/pages/collection-sites.aspx

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

or if you are staying somewhat south of FLL in Miami-Dade County:

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/testing-locations.page

Edited by lots-of-km2

5 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

You probably know/have this already,   @Fouremco, but in case you don't :

https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/pages/collection-sites.aspx

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

or if you are staying somewhat south of FLL in Miami-Dade County:

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/testing-locations.page

Many thanks, very much appreciated as I start gathering information.

Just an fyi, if sailing into Cozumel, with in the 3 days you leave from FL, you can arrange a PCR test in Coz...better priced than any FL based fees.

we did it, and worked nicely! Was easy peasy... although not happy we have to get the PCR test to get back into our own Country fully vaxxed! 

• Like 2

$95 for a PCR isn't too bad in the overall picture.  Have seen airports and resorts in the $200-300 range for PCR.  We were going to Rome this May and were staying a couple of extra days.  The $95 is about right for what we were going to have to pay.  I'm not surprised the cruise lines will probably start passing the cost to the customer due to costs, although doing it to currently booked guests is wrong.  I firmly believe you are going to see the PCR tests fall by the wayside in the relatively near future for the friendlier optigen test.  But how soon is the key.  Friends recently returned from Florida and got a neuro molecular test (?) for free at a CVS.  Met Canadian requirements instead of the PCR, had results in less than 4 hours, and they were good to go.  Good heads up to keep an eye on things as they continue to change.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I received the same update from my CVP and we sail in January. We are staying an extra night in Ft Lauderdale but our flight the next morning is at 7am so we should be ok for the onboard testing. My planner couldn’t tell me tho whether that testing was to be done the day before disembarking or same day as disembarking and also whether the protocols for guaranteeing private flight back home in case of a positive test result was still in play. I’m looking forward to hearing posts from fellow cruisers over the next month or so to see what’s happening on the ships now. 

Think it will snow ball from here.  A "perk" to entice clients to get on board and be covered.  Now that things are starting to open up suspect you will see other items pricing go up as well as the actual cruise costs.  Inevitable.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

I just received an email today for my upcoming December 11 sailing on Celebrity.  It appears they are now passing the cost of home re entry testing onto the traveller.  

B2817725-B2BC-40D8-ABAF-14E05E6FE5AA.jpeg

Great, another 'wrinkle' (and added cost in USD)!  I just had my flight (re)booked, FLL to YYZ from the day of disembarcation to the following day; technically 'outside' of the 24 hour 'window'!  I guess that I should plan on being one of the last cruisers to disembark & enjoy an 'extended' breakfast instead!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Great, another 'wrinkle' (and added cost in USD)!  I just had my flight (re)booked, FLL to YYZ from the day of disembarcation to the following day; technically 'outside' of the 24 hour 'window'!  I guess that I should plan on being one of the last cruisers to disembark & enjoy an 'extended' breakfast instead!

I wonder what they consider to be "disembarkation time"? The time the first passenger leaves the ship? The last passenger? An arbitrary time?

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Many thanks, very much appreciated as I start gathering information.

Fouremco, I think that I will book an appointment, online, for a PCR Test at FLL T3, for 0700, the morning of my flight from FLL - YYZ, (at a cost of $149, with the test result available in 45 minutes); providing I am unable to have it done onboard, prior to disembarcation, for $95!

I'll get a 'take-out' breakfast at my hotel;, taxi to T3, get tested, head to T2 & Check-In, (after I've taken the time to 'upload' my ?negative result, etc. to the Arrive CAN App)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

$95 for a PCR isn't too bad in the overall picture.  Have seen airports and resorts in the $200-300 range for PCR.  We were going to Rome this May and were staying a couple of extra days.  The $95 is about right for what we were going to have to pay.  I'm not surprised the cruise lines will probably start passing the cost to the customer due to costs, although doing it to currently booked guests is wrong.  I firmly believe you are going to see the PCR tests fall by the wayside in the relatively near future for the friendlier optigen test.  But how soon is the key.  Friends recently returned from Florida and got a neuro molecular test (?) for free at a CVS.  Met Canadian requirements instead of the PCR, had results in less than 4 hours, and they were good to go.  Good heads up to keep an eye on things as they continue to change.  Thanks.

Evidently, for example, the cost for a (Rapid) PCR at FLL T3 is $149, with the results available in 45 minutes!

• Like 1

Celebrity will be picking up the cost of the PCR testing for existing reservations from December 3-31 sailings.  The costs will be applicable to new bookings. 

They are still working on operational details.  

They are also optimistic that the PCR requirement will be dropped by 2022.  

This is the response I received. 

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Celebrity will be picking up the cost of the PCR testing for existing reservations from December 3-31 sailings.  The costs will be applicable to new bookings. 

They are still working on operational details.  

They are also optimistic that the PCR requirement will be dropped by 2022.  

This is the response I received. 

I wish we knew when they were doing the PCR tests…day of disembarkation in the terminal or onboard the ship day before disembarking. We can’t afford to stay 14 days in Florida after our cruise in the event we test positive after booking under different conditions promised by Celebrity. Final payment is only two weeks from now…decisions decisions 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I wish we knew when they were doing the PCR tests…day of disembarkation in the terminal or onboard the ship day before disembarking. We can’t afford to stay 14 days in Florida after our cruise in the event we test positive after booking under different conditions promised by Celebrity. Final payment is only two weeks from now…decisions decisions 

I agree 100%.  That is my concern.  Not the cost but the operation and execution that may alter the protection testing on board provided.  

I am past final payment and committed with flights.