Celebrity Charging for Home Testing

wendycook22

24 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I wish we knew when they were doing the PCR tests…day of disembarkation in the terminal or onboard the ship day before disembarking. We can’t afford to stay 14 days in Florida after our cruise in the event we test positive after booking under different conditions promised by Celebrity. Final payment is only two weeks from now…decisions decisions 

Very understandable concerns. We are facing exactly the same situation in two weeks when we disembark the Sky Princess at PE, and will have all twelve fingers and toes crossed that we test negative. (Fortunately, Princess is still paying for the test and covering any quarantine hotel and food if the unthinkable happens and we test positive).

Note that the 14 day is not hard and fast; you can possibly come home sooner even after testing positive at disembarkation in one of a number of ways. The moment you re-test negative, you can come home, though obviously nobody can know when or whether that would happen. Could be three days, could be a week, could be the full 14 days.  Also, keep in mid that land or rail crossing into Canada is still completely possible even with a positive PCR result, though the logistics of train travel or one-way car rental are a lot more difficult.  All this being said, frankly if we knew about all these changing conditions before our final payment, we would have cancelled and waited a few months until some of the worst conditions, like this horrible testing requirement, go away. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

The latest on the Celebrity website ....

As useful as a bicycle is to a fish!

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

As far as testing for vaccinated adults they only say they’ll give details onboard…not very helpful at all when precruise planning! 

22 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Very understandable concerns. We are facing exactly the same situation in two weeks when we disembark the Sky Princess at PE, and will have all twelve fingers and toes crossed that we test negative. (Fortunately, Princess is still paying for the test and covering any quarantine hotel and food if the unthinkable happens and we test positive).

Note that the 14 day is not hard and fast; you can possibly come home sooner even after testing positive at disembarkation in one of a number of ways. The moment you re-test negative, you can come home, though obviously nobody can know when or whether that would happen. Could be three days, could be a week, could be the full 14 days.  Also, keep in mid that land or rail crossing into Canada is still completely possible even with a positive PCR result, though the logistics of train travel or one-way car rental are a lot more difficult.  All this being said, frankly if we knew about all these changing conditions before our final payment, we would have cancelled and waited a few months until some of the worst conditions, like this horrible testing requirement, go away. 

Glad Princess is continuing to uphold their covid post cruise coverage, wish Celebrity had done the same, instead they’ve made promises to get bookings and then reneged on their own terms. 

So far we’ve only made a deposit which we can always take as an FCC and then rebook something later next year. We booked flights with Air Canada and they’ll give us a credit with no expiry for the full cost of our flights so that’s good as well. Surely by next Fall this testing requirement will not be an issue? 🤞

2 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Glad Princess is continuing to uphold their covid post cruise coverage, wish Celebrity had done the same, instead they’ve made promises to get bookings and then reneged on their own terms. 

100% true.

I think someone in head office figured out how much this would really cost if they actually had to start flying people home.

4 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

So far we’ve only made a deposit which we can always take as an FCC and then rebook something later next year. We booked flights with Air Canada and they’ll give us a credit with no expiry for the full cost of our flights so that’s good as well. Surely by next Fall this testing requirement will not be an issue? 🤞

Actually Princess has also been playing cute with us passengers as well. Small things like changing the testing from on board the day before arrival to on the pier after disembarkation, so problematic for those folks with early flights. They also decided to completely re-arrange the cabin assignments on some trips and move large numbers of pax around the ship in order to create isolation zones WITHOUT TELLING THE AFFECTED PASSENGERS. In our case, we were thrown out of a very carefully selected cabin to one nearby. Then weeks later they moved us to another cabin at the extreme aft end of the ship (albeit with a one-level upgrade), but then finally moved us to yet another cabin on a much higher deck. Needless to say, neither we nor our TA had any notification of any of this, and it's only my regular checking of our booking that I noticed it. 

Sadly, we're so PO'd at Princess over all of this that we were seriously considering moving to our second favourite line, X, for most of our future cruising once our FCCs with Princess are used up. Now, based on these posts and how X is behaving, I'm wondering whether the grass really is greener on the other side.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

100% true.

I think someone in head office figured out how much this would really cost if they actually had to start flying people home.

With former CFO Jason Liberty having replaced Richard Fain as CEO of the Royal Caribbean Group, we can probably look forward to many more cost cutting measures.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

(after I've taken the time to 'upload' my ?negative result, etc. to the Arrive CAN App)!

I just flew back to Canada using the Arrive Can app for the first time.  The section on testing only asks if you have taken a test and if it was negative - you attest to that and have to have the proof in hand with the app at customs.  We didn't actually upload the covid test to the site - only the vax records.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am extremely ticked off at this turn of events!!!  The reason I cancelled my b2b cruises on Carnival was because they were not offering the PCR test onboard......and Celebrity (along with some other cruiselines were).

First I heard they were doing it on the day before disembarkation - which I thought was great - very stress free and the ability to have the test results in hand before leaving the ship.  Then I hear that has changed and testing will be done once OFF the ship, in the terminal building and off you go hoping results appear (and that they are negative).

Now you have to pay for the test (which is not even my main concern) but there is this 24 hour post debarkation rule...what does that mean exactly - if you disembark at 10 am vs 8 am vs 7:30 am?  How do they know when you will actually disembark? ....and if it's 24.5 hours or 26 hours then I guess you are out of luck?  Who dreamed this one up?  ....and how would they 'confirm' this timing? 

We are planning to spend a night post cruise in FLL - luckily have not made our reservations for return flight - was hoping for an afternoon flight - but maybe that needs to be reviewed now?   NOT HAPPY!

Would love to get more details on how this is going to work!

P.S.  Actually now considering purchasing those air canada/switch pcr tests and taking a couple with us and doing it at the hotel post cruise???

Edited by Froufie
  • Like 1

Once X changed the procedure to have the RT-PCR test done, (at cost), after disembarcation, in the Cruise Terminal, I (re)booked my return flight, FLL - YYZ, for the following day & booked a hotel.

Hopefully, that will reduce the stress level!  I'll even wait in the terminal for my results, insist upon a hard copy as well as having the results emailed to me!

My return flight departs FLL at 1120, so I will be at the airport by 0800, (having completed the ArriveCAN documentation before heading to the airport!

4 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Once X changed the procedure to have the RT-PCR test done, (at cost), after disembarcation, in the Cruise Terminal, I (re)booked my return flight, FLL - YYZ, for the following day & booked a hotel.

Hopefully, that will reduce the stress level!  I'll even wait in the terminal for my results, insist upon a hard copy as well as having the results emailed to me!

My return flight departs FLL at 1120, so I will be at the airport by 0800, (having completed the ArriveCAN documentation before heading to the airport!

Will your new return flight depart within 24 hours of disembarkation? Unless you disembark after 11:20am I’m not sure you’ll be able to get your test from Celebrity. Hopefully they’re not too sticky with the timing because usually everyone has to be off by 10am at the latest. We’ve booked the 7am flight for the day following disembarkation hopefully we’ll be on it with negative test results 🤞

• Like 1

Once again we are thrown into confusion over what the policy actually means.  I am not cruising X but RC which is likely to follow suit at some point. As I have time before final payment (January) I have stuck to my original flight times and will wait to see the next move.  So frustrating for us all as the constant revisions at short notice makes what should be a relaxing undertaking very stressful. It’s like trying to grab smoke and put it in a bag.  Good luck everyone with your cruise plans and let’s hope things are clarified before too long.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

The Healthy at Sea webpages now state the following:

Effective November 16, 2021 - Fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Testing will be available at the rate of $55 per person for Antigen and $95 per person for PCR.

There is no mention of testing in the terminal, so I believe that this possibility no longer exists. Consequently, barring further changes, your only options at this point are to seek a location in Fort Lauderdale for your test or purchase something like the Switch Health RT-LAMP test kit and do a self test in your hotel. 

Hi... Does anybody know if Celebrity will let you use on-board credits to pay for the PCR test?   Also, with the new rules saying in bold, Effective November 16, 2021..., are we totally sure that means for all cruises sailing after that date, or is it possible it means all bookings after that date?  The latter would 'grandfather' those of us who made our bookings before then, in accordance with the protocols in place at the time we booked (which included complimentary testing as required to return to Canada).  Thanks.

1 hour ago, dfisher9 said:

Hi... Does anybody know if Celebrity will let you use on-board credits to pay for the PCR test?   Also, with the new rules saying in bold, Effective November 16, 2021..., are we totally sure that means for all cruises sailing after that date, or is it possible it means all bookings after that date?  The latter would 'grandfather' those of us who made our bookings before then, in accordance with the protocols in place at the time we booked (which included complimentary testing as required to return to Canada).  Thanks.

Anything that you purchase onboard is added to your account as a debit, and your OBC as a credit. They don't link the OBC to any particular debit, so your test wouldn't be covered directly by your OBC, but your balance owing at the end of the cruise would be.

As for "grandfathering" free tests, I doubt it very much. For example, in the days pre-AI, when they raised the gratuities effective a certain date, there was no protection for those who had already booked. I'm fairly confident that if they were only going to apply the fee to new bookings, they would have said so.

We sail Monday on the Millennium and have a bunch of OBC. Will let you know if we get charged for the test and if we can use OBC if we are. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the PCR requirement will be dropped before the 25th! (I doubt it). 

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Anything that you purchase onboard is added to your account as a debit, and your OBC as a credit. They don't link the OBC to any particular debit, so your test wouldn't be covered directly by your OBC, but your balance owing at the end of the cruise would be.

As for "grandfathering" free tests, I doubt it very much. For example, in the days pre-AI, when they raised the gratuities effective a certain date, there was no protection for those who had already booked. I'm fairly confident that if they were only going to apply the fee to new bookings, they would have said so.

I've been in contact with my travel agent .... Celebrity is covering the cost of tests up until the end of the year.

The terminal testing was a logistical nightmare so they moved it back to the ship - the intimation was that there would likely be expanded testing abilities on board.....

No mention what happens if you  elect to stay in Florida and "fail" the day after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XLVIII said:

We sail Monday on the Millennium and have a bunch of OBC. Will let you know if we get charged for the test and if we can use OBC if we are. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the PCR requirement will be dropped before the 25th! (I doubt it). 

We already checked with the Engagement desk for the Millennium Nov 15 cruise & the ship advised them that the PCR test would be given the last day at sea at no charge.  See you onboard.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

I agree still not clear how and where you might get test should you not fall with this bogus 24 hour window.  I guess when you are onboard you would need to make your 'appointment' and whoever is in charge of that might be the one to 'determine' if you are within that window or not?

If not then what happens?  Terminal test?  on your own at airport/pharmacy?  Purchase a PCR test to take with you? If staying over one night then at least less stressful to get test done and results in hand?

I think Celebrity needs to clarify what ALL the options are for international travellers given many of us booked based on previous/old information!

3 hours ago, dfisher9 said:

Here is the wording on the celebrity website.   The way I read it is any new bookings after november 16, 2021 requires the guest to pay the testing fees.  People who are booked before that do not have to pay:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.Back-to-Back Cruises 

38 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Here is the wording on the celebrity website.   The way I read it is any new bookings after november 16, 2021 requires the guest to pay the testing fees.  People who are booked before that do not have to pay:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.Back-to-Back Cruises 

From what I have read sailing to Dec 31st will still have the cost covered....but it is not the cost I am opposed to - it is the 'conditions' under which the testing will now take place!

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Will your new return flight depart within 24 hours of disembarkation? Unless you disembark after 11:20am I’m not sure you’ll be able to get your test from Celebrity. Hopefully they’re not too sticky with the timing because usually everyone has to be off by 10am at the latest. We’ve booked the 7am flight for the day following disembarkation hopefully we’ll be on it with negative test results 🤞

Hi Barwick Cruiser, (fellow Kingstonian), no my (re)booked AC flight 'technically', is 'slightly' outside the 24 hour 'window', but geez louise, so CLOSE!  Yes, I (briefly) briefly thought about booking the 0700 flight, but, although I am an 'early riser; post-cruise, I wanted to give myself a little more 'wiggle room' for time!

PS  We should meet sometime!

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Healthy at Sea webpages now state the following:

Effective November 16, 2021 - Fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Testing will be available at the rate of $55 per person for Antigen and $95 per person for PCR.

There is no mention of testing in the terminal, so I believe that this possibility no longer exists. Consequently, barring further changes, your only options at this point are to seek a location in Fort Lauderdale for your test or purchase something like the Switch Health RT-LAMP test kit and do a self test in your hotel. 

If I am unable to receive a PCR test onboard prior to disembarcation, then I will book a test at FLL T2 for 0700 on the day following disembarcation, prior to my flight from T2 at 1120!

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

I agree still not clear how and where you might get test should you not fall with this bogus 24 hour window.  I guess when you are onboard you would need to make your 'appointment' and whoever is in charge of that might be the one to 'determine' if you are within that window or not?

If not then what happens?  Terminal test?  on your own at airport/pharmacy?  Purchase a PCR test to take with you? If staying over one night then at least less stressful to get test done and results in hand?

I think Celebrity needs to clarify what ALL the options are for international travellers given many of us booked based on previous/old information!

That is exactly what I am going to do!

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

From what I have read sailing to Dec 31st will still have the cost covered....but it is not the cost I am opposed to - it is the 'conditions' under which the testing will now take place!

In Feb we are staying on another day, so I would assume it’s up to us to get the PCR test.  We will probably buy the Air Canada one & take it with us, less money & in Cdn $’s.  Hopefully we will not need that test in Feb, I can always dream.

Edited by If only