ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

16 hours ago, trixiee said:

How far is the cruise ship terminal from the airport?  Wondering if I should book a Hal transfer or just take a cab?  My flight lands fairly early- 10:30

Twice in the last year I’ve taken a cab from the airport to a downtown hotel. Both times the drivers complained the entire ride about it being such a short distance and hardly worth their time.  Lesson learned!  From now on we take only Uber in San Diego. On our last time there our Uber driver was prompt and very courteous.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 4:40 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would take a cab.  I don't know how much the transfer is.  That said, I stayed at a hotel right across the street from the port and it was a flat $20 to get there.  

It’s a straight 2 miles from the airport to the pier. 

6 hours ago, lais said:

It’s a straight 2 miles from the airport to the pier. 

We walked from the rental car center to the pier. After dropping our bags at the pier we returned the car and walked along Pacific to grape then onto Harbor. Stopped a few times to take pics. And then had a cold drink and a bite at Ketch Grill. Pleasant walk. Saved some money, great exercise, made us feel better about the cruise food we were about to partake in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, figmentdj said:

We walked from the rental car center to the pier. After dropping our bags at the pier we returned the car and walked along Pacific to grape then onto Harbor. Stopped a few times to take pics. And then had a cold drink and a bite at Ketch Grill. Pleasant walk. Saved some money, great exercise, made us feel better about the cruise food we were about to partake in.

Can you walk from the airport? I'm hoping to have just a carry-on... I often walk 3-5 miles in a day, so it wouldn't be a stretch for me.  I'm just concerned about the traffic and sidewalks 

6 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Can you walk from the airport? I'm hoping to have just a carry-on... I often walk 3-5 miles in a day, so it wouldn't be a stretch for me.  I'm just concerned about the traffic and sidewalks 

No, don’t walk from the airport. It’s too congested. At a certain point you can start walking on the Embarcedaro along Harbor Dr but getting to that point would be difficult. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

No, don’t walk from the airport. It’s too congested. At a certain point you can start walking on the Embarcedaro along Harbor Dr but getting to that point would be difficult. 

It’s a 2 mile walk and not congested at all.  A nice sidewalk all the way. I have walked it many times.   I live here and often do the walk from my house to Embarcadero area.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lais said:

It’s a 2 mile walk and not congested at all.  A nice sidewalk all the way. I have walked it many times.   I live here and often do the walk from my house to Embarcadero area.    

That’s good to know but I still wouldn’t do it myself. I lived there for two years and have visited since and I still think it’s too congested around the airport area.  But we can each have our own opinions. 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

That’s good to know but I still wouldn’t do it myself. I lived there for two years and have visited since and I still think it’s too congested around the airport area.  But we can each have our own opinions. 😉

I think I'll be okay if there are stop lights and sidewalks.  Would a weekend day make a difference, do you think?

36 minutes ago, trixiee said:

I think I'll be okay if there are stop lights and sidewalks.  Would a weekend day make a difference, do you think?

You could always try and if you think it's not a good idea get a cab but I'm pretty sure it's a flat $20 rate unless I got ripped off.  I personally wouldn't do it but then I would never call myself a light packer :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trixiee said:

Once you get to the Embarcadero it's okay, it's just the area around the airport that would be difficult IMO.  And I don't think it would matter what day of the week you are there.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, trixiee said:

I got really curious when I read your question and the exchange between @Sharon in AZand @lais.  We live in San Diego, and I never would have suggested that anyone walk from the airport to the ship, for the reasons Sharon gave, congestion and lack of pedestrian-friendliness.  But not long ago, DD and I walked all the way from Liberty Station in Point Loma to the cruise terminal, and I was amazed at how they have carved out a really beautiful walkway along the water, starting there at Liberty Station.   It was a very pleasant walk.  Long, but enjoyable.  

So then factoring in the airport, I did a little research to see if they've also improved pedestrian access from there, which is maybe at the halfway point from Liberty Station, since there has been sooooo much construction at the airport.  I came up with this info:  https://www.san.org/to-from/Walking-Biking

It tells where the crosswalks are.

The upshot is I think it can be comfortably done, crossing over to Harbor Island, provided luggage is really light -- no more than carry-on for sure -- and provided one is used to walking.  Just FWIW.   Most people have too much luggage to walk it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I got really curious when I read your question and the exchange between @Sharon in AZand @lais.  We live in San Diego, and I never would have suggested that anyone walk from the airport to the ship, for the reasons Sharon gave, congestion and lack of pedestrian-friendliness.  But not long ago, DD and I walked all the way from Liberty Station in Point Loma to the cruise terminal, and I was amazed at how they have carved out a really beautiful walkway along the water, starting there at Liberty Station.   It was a very pleasant walk.  Long, but enjoyable.  

So then factoring in the airport, I did a little research to see if they've also improved pedestrian access from there, which is maybe at the halfway point from Liberty Station, since there has been sooooo much construction at the airport.  I came up with this info:  https://www.san.org/to-from/Walking-Biking

It tells where the crosswalks are.

The upshot is I think it can be comfortably done, crossing over to Harbor Island, provided luggage is really light -- no more than carry-on for sure -- and provided one is used to walking.  Just FWIW.   Most people have too much luggage to walk it.

Thank you so much @AncientWanderer!  That's a great link!  I haven't begun packing yet, but am going to try to take just my carry-on.  It's a very lightweight piece of baggage with good rolllers.  We shall see if I'm up to the packing challenge!  I love walking, particularly in new places. 🙂

• Like 1