The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I guess my favorite is Roasties .  My Dad taught me to score the potatoes after you’ve par-boiled them to give them some nice crispy nooks and crannies.

I take it you then put them in the oven and roast them after they've been parboiled and scored?  Any seasoning?

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We bake the extra dressing in a casserole dish because it doesn't all fit inside the turkey.  But the dressing baked in the dish is not moist enough for me.  The "stuffing" is so much better!🍗

I douse it with chicken or turkey stock and dot the top with butter.  Then I cover it for a while so the moisture doesn't escape.  

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm loving the recipes, especially the make-ahead potatoes.  The only thing is, I use the potato water to make the turkey gravy, so I'd have to save it in jars in the fridge.  The extra starch in the water helps to thicken the gravy.  

Re: stuffing/dressing, I don't care what it's called, just serve me the good stuff.  I remember as a child one aunt (who was NOT our favourite) made an oatmeal dressing that was like eating sawdust . . . ugh.  Our whole family loves stuffing, so for a number of years, I make 2 batches - one in a large roaster or the family-size slow cooker, and another batch to stuff the bird.  DH likes to make "dressing sandwiches" the next day . . . yep, bread in bread.  He jazzes them up with Miracle Whip and cranberry sauce and is happy as can be with his creation.

Using the potato water is a nifty idea.   For the last couple of years I've been letting Bob Evans make the potatoes.  Stuffing sandwiches sound good!  The bakery down the street makes a stuffing bread at Thanksgiving time.  Perfect for turkey sandwiches and stuffing sandwiches.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm with @Quartzsite Cruiser-- really like the canned jellied cranberries the best.  Although I always make a fresh cranberry-orange relish, too...just because I know I should.

I have never bothered to make the cranberry-orange relish.  DH wouldn't like it, and since the DDs never had it, they don’t miss it.  We also experimented with sweet potatoes, but finally gave up.  I fix them either fried or baked for the two of us. 

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda

Happy trails, safe travels & Bon Voyage to you and DH! You both earned some R & R!

Thank you.  We're looking forward to four weeks without having to do anything.  Except for one day, we may even not get off the ship.  After tonight,  I won’t have to think about what to cook for dinner for 4 weeks.  👏  And tonight is easy.  We're having hot dogs.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's for sure!  Put your feet up for a few weeks.😉

Thanks, I will.  In fact, I'm practicing sitting with my feet up and enjoying some nice fall weather on the patio.  This is a first, our suitcases except the carryon were put in the car before 3 this afternoon.

28 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I’m looking forward to meeting a CC member for a drink in Cabo. I think that’s the only port I’ll get off the ship. The NCL Bliss has an amazing spa/thermal suite and I’ll probably be spending most of my time there. Can’t wait to try the salt room and snow room!

Congratulations on failing your test.  We've had problems with CVS in the past, and try to avoid that store.

Funny thing, I'm also looking forward to meeting a CC  member for a drink in Cabo.  Small world isn't it? 😀

Lenda 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

@dfishYou say you cover the dressing with foil for a while?  How long do you cook the dressing in the casserole dish?  We usually put ours in for about 30 minutes.  We will try adding more broth and the butter and see if that bakes it with more moisture at the end.

Edited to say I think we usually cover our dressing while baking,  but perhaps we need to up the liquids on the out of bird dressing.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have been away from the Daily for a few days mainly because of a minor medical problem.  Found out on Veteran's Day that I have a kidney stone.  Surprising how painful it can be even after taking pain medicine.  Had a CT scan at the local hospital and go back on Monday to see a urologist.

I used to be very familiar with Sasebo, Japan.  It has been a U.S. Naval base since the end of WW2.  Our ship sometimes spent a month or two there while deployed to WestPac.  There was also a large Japanese shipyard there that built super tankers in the 1970s.  Used to take about 6 months to complete one.  There was a bar area we called Sake Town where we hung out after work.  It would be interesting to see it again, but I doubt that cruise ships stop in Sasebo.  One incident that I remember was when our ship stopped in Keelung we found that bicycles were inexpensive, so a lot of us bought ten speeds and brought them aboard to use back in Sasebo.  One time heading for Sake Town I hit a curb at about 15-20 mph.  Flew off the bike and dislocated my shoulder.  Since I had a cast and couldn't ride it, I let one of the sailors in my division use it.  Within a week he had an accident and dislocated his shoulder.  Got rid of it after that.

Ray

Hope you get rid of the kidney stone and feel better soon.

Lenda 

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have been away from the Daily for a few days mainly because of a minor medical problem.  Found out on Veteran's Day that I have a kidney stone.  Surprising how painful it can be even after taking pain medicine.  Had a CT scan at the local hospital and go back on Monday to see a urologist.

I used to be very familiar with Sasebo, Japan.  It has been a U.S. Naval base since the end of WW2.  Our ship sometimes spent a month or two there while deployed to WestPac.  There was also a large Japanese shipyard there that built super tankers in the 1970s.  Used to take about 6 months to complete one.  There was a bar area we called Sake Town where we hung out after work.  It would be interesting to see it again, but I doubt that cruise ships stop in Sasebo.  One incident that I remember was when our ship stopped in Keelung we found that bicycles were inexpensive, so a lot of us bought ten speeds and brought them aboard to use back in Sasebo.  One time heading for Sake Town I hit a curb at about 15-20 mph.  Flew off the bike and dislocated my shoulder.  Since I had a cast and couldn't ride it, I let one of the sailors in my division use it.  Within a week he had an accident and dislocated his shoulder.  Got rid of it after that.

Ray

I'm so sorry to hear about the kidney stone.  Those are quite painful from what I've heard.  Good luck getting it all taken care of next week!

• Like 10

Thank you to all of you for your kind thoughts and wishes yesterday. The new antibiotic, (Amoxik Clav) seems to be helping a lot, also helpful, Dr. increased the Prednisone from 10 mg to 30 mg per day. I am hopeful that I won't have to go to Urgent Care tomorrow.

I am another one that has never cared much for stuffing or dressing as my family called it. I love the jelled cranberry sauce but will eat the cranberry/orange relish if no jelled is available. My favorite side would have to be mashed potatos with homemade giblet gravy and yes I can cook that myself. Love roasted turkey but can do without the glaze. Green bean cassarole is another favorite side.

I was supposed to be on the Hawaii Thanksgiving cruise this year that got cancelled. Oh well, I guess I can celebrate in January instead.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 19

18 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I hope you can pass the stone without too much more pain. My DSiL has had kidney stones (knock on wood he hasn’t had a bad episode in a while). They spent their honeymoon night at the ER! 😱

• Like 11

Have a great cruise @Quartzsite CruiserLenda.  The weather is beautiful here in San Diego.  You should have a nice sail away.  Wish we were onboard with you!

I hope you feel better @lazey1Jane.  You've had a tough time seems like ever since our cruise.

You too, @USN59-79.   Kidney stones -- not fun.  

But now am seeing @smitty34877's new photo of Baby Camilla.  Happy and healing.  😍

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AncientWanderer said:

@StLouisCruisers, I'm with you on the dressing dilemma.  I'm so indecisive, that I mix the in-the-bird dressing with the casserole-dish dressing to get dry and moist and crunchy and smooth all together.  lol

I know!  You'd think after all these years of cooking for Thanksgiving we'd have it down pat by now!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach

Beautiful day right now but some wind and rain is predicted for later.

Another great launch this morning. It is just so amazing to see and never gets old. 

The Turkey looks wonderful. May try it.  Have not been to todays port, look forward to any pictures.  I really enjoy seeing the pictures for 2 reasons. I love seeing ports that I have not been to and look interesting. Secondly, I look at the sidewalks and plazas to see how accessible it would be. My DD uses a wheelchair fulltime ( no mobility) and it helps to be able to plan somewhat. So Thank You!

DH and our son are volunteering today to teach kids how to fish. It is sponsored by the police department and there are 98 kids signed up. So it should be an interesting and fun day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Those Turkeys look mouth watering.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, summer slope said:

Happy Saturday.  Caregivers have earned their wings on earth.  We were the caregivers for dear MIL for 7 years due to Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's.  I remember Sadie Hawkins day.  Waited to ask my crush for a dance and he went to the bathroom.  Saw him years later and was happy he did.  LOL  I"ll be on my way to Kazu's wine tasting.  Like the quote but not the glaze on the turkey.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs for all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Sex on the beach:

A Sex on the Beach is an alcoholic cocktail containing vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice. It is an International Bartenders Association Official Cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz Cranberry juice, 1 1/3 oz Orange juice, 1 1/3 oz Vodka, 2/3 oz Peach schnapps
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with orange slice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.53.04 AM.png

Not sure I will even try it but thanks for the information.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:, that I mix the in-the-bird dressing with the casserole-dish dressing to get dry and moist and crunchy and smooth all together.  lol

That’s exactly what I do, it mixes the two together nicely.  

@USN59-79sorry about the kidney stones; I’m told they’re extremely painful.  Hopefully you’ll get relief soon!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Sorry to hear about your kidney stone.

Prayers 🙏 for Monday CT results with urologists.

Graham.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

For side dishes, I have a broccoli-onion casserole, a corn with green chilis casserole

I would be very interested in seeing recipes for both of these side dishes. 

No Thanksgiving cooking for us this year - we subcontracted the chefs on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

My Dear Dad had two caregivers, one day-time and one who stayed there nights.  Because of them, he was able to stay in his home up until his death at the age of 101!  

Did someone say wine?  We've traveled to eastern WA and other parts of the country for wine tours and also from many BHBs.  Next summer our cruise will visit Bordeaux -- oh boy!  But our next wine tour will be to Total Wine to restock before Thanksgiving. 😉  

Never was brave enough to invite a boy to a dance in high school, the turkey sounds delicious!  A recipe to keep for future Thanksgivings maybe.  @dfishDebbie my all-time favorite dish on Thanksgiving is my Grandmother's Scalloped Corn dish.  It's basically creamed corn, a white sauce, and lots of eggs.  Kind of a corn pudding. I've loved it since I was a child, and it means Thanksgiving to me.

Will pass on the red wine, but the drink sounds good. Have never been to Japan.

@grapau27and @travelnapcongrats on getting your boosters!

@bdrcolehow proud you must be of your DGS!  That is truly amazing.

@irishjimprayers for your DW that her health will improve and she can come home soon.

LEARNED ON TONIGHTS VISIT Sheilas heart beat is getting better.

Jim.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Yikes! I am so sorry, I spent Valentine’s Day 2020 in the ER with one.  Hope it passes easily,   Try apple cider vinegar.

@AncientWanderer me too!  
@smitty34877 love the serious miss Camilla!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1