First time Cruiser, Honeymoon Cruise on MSC Meraviglia!

buckeye25osu

Hello!  Got married and wife and I decided last minute to go on a quick "mini-moon" to the mountains before a more extended honeymoon to southern France next year.  Well, with peak foliage happening I started looking at a cruise and what was going to be a short weekend has turned into a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean!  We're sailing Dec 12 on MSC Meraviglia from Port Canaveral.  This seemed like a killer deal as it's 7 days and came out to $1200 (plus service charges) with Easy Plus drinks included, fantasia with a ocean view.  I've done a ton of research already.  Here are my questions:

1.  We're booked Ocean View, Fantasia experience.  Balcony was $280 more total.  Can bid on balcony for 85pp.  Was just thinking of going minimum.  Worth it?  We are active and will be happy either way but a bit nicer cabin with fresh air would be nice I think. Will I lose the Fantasia experience?
  2.  Looking at the "Tryptic" dinner package.  On brief description it says it includes Butcher's, Kaito Sushi, and Ocean Cay seafood.  However upon trying to book it, it has reservations for Butcher's, Kaito Sushi, and Eataly Italian.  The Eataly I don't even see as a specialty restaurant and I can find no menus, including a "dining experience" menu for that one.  Anybody seen this yet?  The prepay price is $77 so for $26 each I'm leaning towards doing this but would like more info on the Italian restaurant option.
  3. Does the new winter "Easy Plus" drink package allow you to get drinks $9 and under at the specialty restaurants?
  4. Tips for Costa Maya and Cozumel for active hikers/adventure lovers?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated.  I'm scouring these threads and reading a lot!  Thanks!

I think balcony is worth it. Honestly we book interior or balcony, never Oceanview because it doesn't offer much to us. If we are interior we sleep and shower and get the heck out of there (which is the point of cruising in our opinion). If we are in balcony, we feel like we have to spend time there to get our money's worth. Balcony for a Caribbean cruise is fun. Some destinations, there's not much to see. 

We were on the Meraviglia a few years ago and Eataly wasn't there. Not sure what happened. As a first time cruiser, I would wait on booking specialty restaurants honestly. There will be so many food options that are already included, you may not want to be bogged down with reservations for half your nights. For a week long cruise, we typically do one, maybe two, specialty restaurants. We check out the menus in the main dining room and when something doesn't look great, we book specialty then. We did teppenyaki on Meragivlia and often did sushi for lunch because we wanted something lighter. Anyway, long story short, my advice is to save your money and see how things are on board. I'm sure there are lots who disagree with me and never eat in the main dining room, but I think you'll be satisfied as this is your first cruise. Do Ocean Cay to celebrate your honeymoon perhaps.

I can't speak to the winter drink package, but the drinks were included for us in the specialty restaurants.

There's a town south of Costa Maya (kind of the only one) that we took a taxi to. Beautiful beach and the best shrimp ceviche I've ever had in my life. Amazing food. Not very adventurous, but food excites me more so those are typically my recommendations. I think Cozumel has more of those things such as a cave exploration option - half dry, half underwater. My sister did it a few years ago and enjoyed it. 

Congratulations on your marriage - enjoy your honeymoon!!!

• Thanks 1

Congrats!  If it were me, I'd bid for the Balcony (or see how much it would cost to outright upgrade) and pre-book only Butcher's Cut (if it is still available at $37 instead of $59+ onboard).  

There is a kind of "glitch" in using the Easy Plus at the specialty restaurants in that all of the drinks on their drink lists are above the $9 price point.  HOWEVER, you can bring in a drink to any restaurant that you get from the bar or your specialty restaurant server will get one for you that fits your package.  

Have a blast!  And ask any questions.  We are here to help

• Thanks 1

Think about renting a car in Cozumel - easy driving and good roads.  Do the circle road around the island and "explore" where you want.  Book ahead to save some money and, if you change you mind, nothing is lost.  It's my favorite thing to do in all of the Caribbean.

• Thanks 1

As I understand it, if you have paid for the Fantastica experience; that goes with you if you upgrade.  Conversely, a Bella reservation does not get Fantastica benefits if the company upgrades your cabin location.

I would make the bid for a balcony, unless you found an ocean view with a great location.  I don’t book a lot of balcony cabins because I don’t sit outside enough to justify the price differential on most cruises.  But for $170 on a 12 night, I might take the gamble (or alternately, know that helps cover gratuities and stick with the booked cabin).

The biggest complaint I read about being on an MSC cruise is the food.  But good reviews for their specialty restaurants. And for-fee dining is the growing trend in cruising.  Look at the restaurant menus for those in the offer and make sure they are offering a meal at a good price for your preferences.  It’s not the entire menu available, either; they have a selection from which you chose.  I’ve read some of the MDR menus for the Meraviglia and have found complete meals that should satisfy me.  I pretty much do this with any cruiseline.  

Happy cruising and congratulations.

14 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

$26 or $36 each?

$25.67 per person per meal (77/3)

13 hours ago, tweakes said:

I think balcony is worth it..... 

As a first time cruiser, I would wait on booking specialty restaurants honestly. 

Congratulations on your marriage - enjoy your honeymoon!!!

Thank you for such an awesome reply.  Definitely going to try to get the balcony for cheap and if not we'll still be happy.  And thanks for the congrats!

10 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Congrats!  If it were me, I'd bid for the Balcony (or see how much it would cost to outright upgrade) and pre-book only Butcher's Cut (if it is still available at $37 instead of $59+ onboard).  

There is a kind of "glitch" in using the Easy Plus at the specialty restaurants in that all of the drinks on their drink lists are above the $9 price point.  HOWEVER, you can bring in a drink to any restaurant that you get from the bar or your specialty restaurant server will get one for you that fits your package.  

Have you had the Kaito Sushi?  Seems like if that was good with Butchers, just the two would be worth it.  Could see doing Sushi for lunch even.  I think you can change times if available is that correct?

9 hours ago, KEN31VA said:

Think about renting a car in Cozumel - easy driving and good roads.  Do the circle road around the island and "explore" where you want.  Book ahead to save some money and, if you change you mind, nothing is lost.  It's my favorite thing to do in all of the Caribbean.

This is a very interesting suggestion.  I want to in Costa Maya but wife isn't having it.  She's just not comfy not being in a group in Mexico for the first time.  Understandable.  But Cozumel being a small tourist island I think we could do!

24 minutes ago, alohayall said:

As I understand it, if you have paid for the Fantastica experience; that goes with you if you upgrade.  Conversely, a Bella reservation does not get Fantastica benefits if the company upgrades your cabin location.

I would make the bid for a balcony, unless you found an ocean view with a great location.  I don’t book a lot of balcony cabins because I don’t sit outside enough to justify the price differential on most cruises.  But for $170 on a 12 night, I might take the gamble (or alternately, know that helps cover gratuities and stick with the booked cabin).

Happy cruising and congratulations.

Thanks Aloha.... great suggestions as well!  I will bid on the balcony.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:36 AM, Morgsmom said:

We have never booked on MSC and NOW after reading all the negative reviews I am sick to m y stomach that we made a bad decision. We have the Grand Suite with Tub on deck, but all the negative reviews about food, service and communication is freaking me out. Does anyone have any other input on MSC? We are booked for over Christmas.

19 minutes ago, lovetotravel16 said:

We have never booked on MSC and NOW after reading all the negative reviews I am sick to m y stomach that we made a bad decision. We have the Grand Suite with Tub on deck, but all the negative reviews about food, service and communication is freaking me out. Does anyone have any other input on MSC? We are booked for over Christmas.

We were just on Mera although YC but thought service and food everywhere was good to great.  Food is very subjective though.  Staff seemed so happy to see people again.

Now if you are talking anything landside or website, that is the place to worry.

All the last minute CDC and other countries changing things last minute seems to have slowed down, but pay attention to their website for travel document requirements.

We had all ducks in a row only to be let down by American Airlines trying to get to Miami so there are other hurdles out there as well.

9 hours ago, lovetotravel16 said:

Are you new to cruising or experienced?  I am new to MSC - booked and paid for 2 cruises.  

Yes, lots of complaints about customer service (are European cruisers really more go with the flow than we Americans?).  Maybe they just haven’t hired the right people yet.

I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and have come to the conclusion that MSC is not for everyone - but more especially, it’s not for those who are brand-loyal to specific cruise lines (or types of lines) sailing for Americans.

I’ve sailed nearly 6 months worth of my life and have truly never had an awful cruise.  And I even sailed Carnival on a ship that got scrapped a few months after my cruise 🙂

I find Cruise food, as a whole, to be all over the place - even on the same ship.  But I have never been hungry!  They will do what they can to make you happy in the dining rooms.  Or go grab a slice of pizza.  

Your Grand Suite is in the Yacht Club?  Lots of positives about that.  

…I’m boarding the Seashore in 11 days (fingers crossed).  I’ll have a better answer in less than 3 weeks.  

13 hours ago, lovetotravel16 said:

Yikes, relax.  I've never cruised and short of a "Titanic" catastrophe, I'm absolutely positive this will be a great time.  Do yourself a favor and stop reading reviews.  A very good adage amongst online reviews is that people who have bad times always complain, but people who have a great time often don't leave reviews.  Half of it is having a positive mindset.  By all accounts there is a LOT of variety of food.  And as another commenter said, the pizza is great, and who doesn't love pizza!? 

And no offense, but go hijack someone else's thread with your negativity or create your own.  This post was questions about my upcoming honeymoon so idk, show some tact and don't ***** on it 🙂

Edited by buckeye25osu
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, alohayall said:

Are you new to cruising or experienced?  I am new to MSC - booked and paid for 2 cruises.  

Yes, lots of complaints about customer service (are European cruisers really more go with the flow than we Americans?).  Maybe they just haven’t hired the right people yet.

I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and have come to the conclusion that MSC is not for everyone - but more especially, it’s not for those who are brand-loyal to specific cruise lines (or types of lines) sailing for Americans.

I’ve sailed nearly 6 months worth of my life and have truly never had an awful cruise.  And I even sailed Carnival on a ship that got scrapped a few months after my cruise 🙂

I find Cruise food, as a whole, to be all over the place - even on the same ship.  But I have never been hungry!  They will do what they can to make you happy in the dining rooms.  Or go grab a slice of pizza.  

…I’m boarding the Seashore in 11 days (fingers crossed).  I’ll have a better answer in less than 3 weeks.  

Grand suite is not in YC or part of experience.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, buckeye25osu said:
  1.  We're booked Ocean View, Fantasia experience.  Balcony was $280 more total.  Can bid on balcony for 85pp.  Was just thinking of going minimum.  Worth it?  We are active and will be happy either way but a bit nicer cabin with fresh air would be nice I think. Will I lose the Fantasia experience?
  2.  Looking at the "Tryptic" dinner package.  On brief description it says it includes Butcher's, Kaito Sushi, and Ocean Cay seafood.  However upon trying to book it, it has reservations for Butcher's, Kaito Sushi, and Eataly Italian.  The Eataly I don't even see as a specialty restaurant and I can find no menus, including a "dining experience" menu for that one.  Anybody seen this yet?  The prepay price is $77 so for $26 each I'm leaning towards doing this but would like more info on the Italian restaurant option.
  3. Does the new winter "Easy Plus" drink package allow you to get drinks $9 and under at the specialty restaurants?

Congrats!  We just got back (late september) from our first cruise for our first anniversary, so here's my input, based on my similar experience.

1) I see you've already decided to bid, but I'll just add that I think it's a good idea - as first time cruisers it may come in handy to have fresh air, not knowing how you'll handle cruising.

2) We didn't book any in advance and didn't end up going to any once on board either. We thought the food was good to very good all over the ship, including the buffet.  It's not 5 star dining, but neither is it Applebee's...which is why it doesn't always get good marks from Americans.  That said - I heard the sushi is very good...and the taco place is a great value.

Eataly was replaced by the taco place.

3) This was answered.

4) This was answered - I don't recommend wasting any time checking out the port, though.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dexddd said:

We were just on Mera although YC but thought service and food everywhere was good to great.  Food is very subjective though.  Staff seemed so happy to see people again.

Now if you are talking anything landside or website, that is the place to worry.

All the last minute CDC and other countries changing things last minute seems to have slowed down, but pay attention to their website for travel document requirements.

We had all ducks in a row only to be let down by American Airlines trying to get to Miami so there are other hurdles out there as well.

Thank you so much for your response! Much appreciated. 🙂

11 hours ago, alohayall said:

We cruise all the time, BUT never on MSC so we thought we would try it. They only had ONE room left that we wanted so we grabbed it and then........... all the NEG reviews. I watched numerous YOUTUBE videos from all different people and they ALL say the same thing, not good. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:46 AM, KEN31VA said:

We're going to rent a scooter in Cozumel!  After reading a ton of online information, I've made a list of the best shore snorkeling and will check a few of those out as we circle the island.  Beyond that, not making too many plans but just go with the flow!

In Costa Maya, I think we'll take a Chacchoben tour as early as possible.  We're in port until 7pm so if we can do that (~4 hour trip), I think we'd still have some hours to enjoy the beach.  I've heard plenty of recommendations on beach clubs.  I'm thinking we'll just find one.  But, has anyone done Chacchoben in the morning and then did a beach club in the afternoon like I'm trying to do?  Was hoping to find a tour that had both included for ease of logistics but haven't had much success.

Thanks again everyone!

20 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

We're going to rent a scooter in Cozumel!  After reading a ton of online information, I've made a list of the best shore snorkeling and will check a few of those out as we circle the island.  Beyond that, not making too many plans but just go with the flow!

In Costa Maya, I think we'll take a Chacchoben tour as early as possible.  We're in port until 7pm so if we can do that (~4 hour trip), I think we'd still have some hours to enjoy the beach.  I've heard plenty of recommendations on beach clubs.  I'm thinking we'll just find one.  But, has anyone done Chacchoben in the morning and then did a beach club in the afternoon like I'm trying to do?  Was hoping to find a tour that had both included for ease of logistics but haven't had much success.

Thanks again everyone!

Go Bucks!  Looking forward to seeing disappointed Spartan and TTUN fans over the next few weeks!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couple questions for anyone still following-  I got upgraded to balcony by bidding the minimum (90 pp).  They assigned it automatically.  Can I get the room switched by calling if another is available?  There's nothing wrong with my room, but a very nice youtuber pointed out some balconies that have some extra room.

Also, I was able to apply the 5+15% discount!  My account now shows a negative.  Where is this money?  It has not been refunded to my CC so is it ship credit or is it something i can get refunded?

Thanks again all!  Cruise in 5 days!

1 hour ago, buckeye25osu said:

Couple questions for anyone still following-  I got upgraded to balcony by bidding the minimum (90 pp).  They assigned it automatically.  Can I get the room switched by calling if another is available?  There's nothing wrong with my room, but a very nice youtuber pointed out some balconies that have some extra room.

Also, I was able to apply the 5+15% discount!  My account now shows a negative.  Where is this money?  It has not been refunded to my CC so is it ship credit or is it something i can get refunded?

For the negative balance, you will want to add something to use that up.  Since it was applied after booking and you are fully paid, they won't refund it, but you can use it to pre-purchases specialty dining, spa, service charges, drink upgrade, onboard credit etc.  Anything you want to add, just call MSC (or your travel agent) and have it applied against the negative balance.

We have sailed MSC many times, and love the product. We will be sailing again over Christmas (Meraviglia) and Spring Break (Seashore) It is different from the typical American mass market cruise lines in some ways, and similar in others.  Their pre-boarding customer service leaves something to be desired (I always recommend using a travel agent experienced with them), but the onboard product is always great.  We find the food to be good (pizza excellent), and have never done a specialty restaurant.  The feature shows are shorter than most other cruise lines, but very entertaining.  Drink packages are great. Bring an old hotel room key with you if you have one to leave in the cabin...The lights and AC will turn off if you do not have one of your keycards in the slot by the door. We usually bring an old MSC room card, but hotel keys work too. If you still have the activities team from South Africa, they are very entertaining for the onboard activities.

Most of all, there is no such thing as a bad cruise.  It will be what you choose to make of it. Enjoy your new wife's company and have a great time!  Tell the server and room steward you are on a honeymoon...Sometimes they make special things appear for celebrations! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeye25osu said:

And, I would not bother moving the room unless it is in a really bad location (ie right under the pool deck).  A lot of times MSC will mess up the reservation when doing something simple like a room move.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, lovetotravel16 said:

MSC is a lovely cruise line with a euro-italian flair

You booked a great room as well

The food is good as is the service. 

Because cruise passengers are from Europe and asia the announcements are in many languages which is fun to see what you remember from your school days - or living abroad etc

MSC is an a la carte experience meaning you get what you pay for/buy... So no surprises. If you didn't buy it-- don't expect it for free. I think some complain because they have their hand out for hand outs.

You can upgrade bev, do specialty restaurants etc

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 9:59 AM, lovetotravel16 said:

We cruise all the time, BUT never on MSC so we thought we would try it. They only had ONE room left that we wanted so we grabbed it and then........... all the NEG reviews. I watched numerous YOUTUBE videos from all different people and they ALL say the same thing, not good. 

A half dozen negative reviews and MSC newbies freak out.  What about the other 1,000 or so pax who had a great time but did not write a review?  How many times have we seen negative reviews on a particular sailing and then read other positive reviews from pax on the same sailing.  We were on MSC in 2017, before I got sick, and we had one of the greatest cruises we ever had in over 50 years of crossing and cruising.  Stop agonizing and just go with the flow and enjoy yourselves…then let us know the details.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

A half dozen negative reviews and MSC newbies freak out.  What about the other 1,000 or so pax who had a great time but did not write a review?  How many times have we seen negative reviews on a particular sailing and then read other positive reviews from pax on the same sailing.  We were on MSC in 2017, before I got sick, and we had one of the greatest cruises we ever had in over 50 years of crossing and cruising.  Stop agonizing and just go with the flow and enjoy yourselves…then let us know the details.  

I'm the original OP.  We've never cruised and looking forward to it very much!  I've mostly ignored the negatives... why stress over stuff when you can experience it yourself?  People must be picky eaters.  I've been to all-inclusives in Cancun, DR, and Jamaica and some food was great while others were not the best but I don't think I ever had a bad meal.  We're not picky and if I don't like something I'll order something else or head to the buffet!  Of course if I had a bad customer support experience that would stand out to me so hopefully we won't encounter anything like that, but again most things like that can be settled with a little understanding and patience.  As with all things in life, control what you can, but don't worry about what you can't and just enjoy yourself!  Having a positive attitude is 50% of it!

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, buckeye25osu said:

Hello!  Got married and wife and I decided last minute to go on a quick "mini-moon" to the mountains before a more extended honeymoon to southern France next year.  Well, with peak foliage happening I started looking at a cruise and what was going to be a short weekend has turned into a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean!  We're sailing Dec 12 on MSC Meraviglia from Port Canaveral.  This seemed like a killer deal as it's 7 days and came out to $1200 (plus service charges) with Easy Plus drinks included, fantasia with a ocean view.  I've done a ton of research already.  Here are my questions:

Anything else would be greatly appreciated.  I'm scouring these threads and reading a lot!  Thanks!

OP

Congrats on the marriage. Best wishes for a long life together.

Balcony would be lovely-- you see things in the ports etc and having coffee in the early am is so nice.

Specialty dining will be wonderful and offer a variety from the main dining.

Be sure to tell the waiter at your table in main dining, the waiters at each specialty dinner  that you are on your honeymoon.

An option in Cozumel could be an all inclusive day-beach club with wave runners. 

best wishes

fog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slei15 said:

And, I would not bother moving the room unless it is in a really bad location (ie right under the pool deck).  A lot of times MSC will mess up the reservation when doing something simple like a room move.

Thanks for all of the awesome info-  Our flight gets in early to Orlando so we're planning on getting on the first bus (pre-booked)to PC and getting in line.

A lot of people said the pizza is great, as it should be for an Italian line!  I love pizza so I'm excited to eat that multiple times.

It's too bad they didn't use the credit on the balcony upgrade.  Thought of doing the triple dining experience but I just don't think i'd like 2/3 of the options too much (Kaito and Ocean Cay).  Maybe I'll see about renting jet skis at Ocean Cay.

Our Balcony is a Fantastica on 11.  Reservation was already updated once to add the Voyager number and apply the discount.  Showing Early Dining when I wanted late.  Should I call?

Thanks again!