New Testing Rules Starting January 17th

ktpc2005

11 minutes ago, julig22 said:

NCL really needs to up their game as far as proofreading their documents.  2nd letter I've gotten with a bogus link to "travel-requirements-by-country"

Anyone found the correct link?

image.thumb.png.a8524e474870e240d68ae5b12f7126d9.png

If it does not open from the below links you may need to clear your browsing history/cookies.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-countr

This can can be found on the Sail Safe Page on ncl.com ( https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC ) by clicking on the bold blue text 

image.png.e08a9ef51b1d25a2eee961d79bb49fb3.png

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-countr

can be found on the Sail Safe Page on ncl.com ( https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC ) by clicking on the bold blue text 

image.png.e08a9ef51b1d25a2eee961d79bb49fb3.png

Thanks.  Figured it out - they included "." at the end of the link in the letter.

Lovely.  We're booked on the POA and are planning to come in two days early...For a Saturday departure, that means getting tested anytime from Thursday on...Slight problem in that we'll be flying in from the east coast all day on Thursday.....are we going to be expected to find a Covid test place when we arrive in Hawaii?  Isn't that just a wonderful way to start a vacation!  I really want to know test results while I am back on the mainland...before flying to Hawaii.  If for some strange reason either of us tests positive in Hawaii...we'll be stuck in quarantine...no cruise and no refund.  3 days out would not be a problem.....If this rule stays in place, we'll be cancelling...and we are fully vaccinated.  I'll be watching this subject carefully

I can see the benefit of this new policy. Coming from Canada (and driving 2 days to get there), we will have to get our tests before leaving home on Thursday for our Saturday cruise. At least we know when we get there we won't be denied boarding by failing the test at the pier. Our beef will be that we are doing back to back cruises on the same ship. It seems from other posts that NCL will give us the test on board but charge us $99 each. When we booked these cruises, the onboard test for the second cruise was supposed to be free, I wonder if they'll honour that. 

To take it to the extreme, if we had B2B2B2B2 cruises booked and tested positive prior to the final leg, would that mean we caught Covid on the ship? What happens then? 

I think this is day 1 of the new policy, it will probably be amended in the days and months ahead as the Covid situation changes. We've already decided in this thread that the wording really means get tested 2 days prior, not at least 2 days prior. Hopefully they'll make other changes to make it more palatable.

Tony

We have B2B booked for Jan 22 & 29....From all I have seen so far, it looks like I will be canceling my second week. 

I am not going to pay an extra $99 PP for the second leg...

I reached out to NCL....l am curious to see what the say. if anything. 

48 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

If for some strange reason either of us tests positive in Hawaii...we'll be stuck in quarantine...no cruise and no refund. 

Why don't you think that your cruise fare would be refunded?  If they deny boarding, your fare is refunded.  This is a consumer protection law, not an NCL policy.

21 minutes ago, Manbo said:

We have B2B booked for Jan 22 & 29....From all I have seen so far, it looks like I will be canceling my second week. 

I am not going to pay an extra $99 PP for the second leg...

Really??  You're willing to pull out your wallet for a B2B cruise, but the $99 is a deal breaker??  Wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have POA booked for 5/14/22, and we're planning to fly in on 5/9. If the guideline remains the same, I think my best bet would be eMed. It's a little scary, but I also don't want to think about other people who might be positive getting on the ship, so I guess this is the price we have to pay. 😑

Pro-rated refund or FCC so I stand corrected.....both of which take time...in the meantime, 10 days in quarantine still need to be paid for in Hawaii.....more than an inconvenience for me.  I want to know Covid test results before I get into this type of situation......

2 minutes ago, Caraec said:

We have POA booked for 5/14/22, and we're planning to fly in on 5/9. If the guideline remains the same, I think my best bet would be eMed. It's a little scary, but I also don't want to think about other people who might be positive getting on the ship, so I guess this is the price we have to pay. 😑

The need and cost of the testing is not the problem for us.  POA is a unique situation....the flight is as far or further than those for our European cruises.  Hawaii should be given the 3 day lead time for testing just like international ports.  Is eMed the home test?  If that is acceptable, then I would take the test at 12:01 on the Thurs. before our flight to Hawaii!

33 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

The fact they are stopping the NCL funded port testing makes me think it will not be long before they stop the free onboard testing, most likely moving to an optional chargeable test.

Wonder if you can use OBC??  Half kidding but....

• Haha 1

I was thinking that the other cruise lines would need to implement something similar to NCL for passengers to get tested at the pier to make it easier all around. Instead NCL is going to what everybody else is doing and it just makes it harder. Having said that, I was able to book appts for us two days prior to the cruise weeks ahead of times at our local clinic/hospital so some of the stress has lifted. They told me that that prioritize surgery patients first, followed by travelers, then the others for test results. When I was scheduled for surgery I took the test in the morning and had results mid afternoon. I also checked with my local Walgreens and think I'm going to book appts for a day after just in case I don't see the results.

It means we have to pay for 2 tests in 4 days.

We fly from the UK to Tampa on 24 Feb so need a test on 22 or 23 Feb to enter the US. Then a second test on 25 Feb for the cruise on the 27th. 

With the previous 96 hours, one test would have covered both.

Edited by cassie55

If you cannot find a free/cheap test near home...

There are many threads on other CC boards regarding the Abbott BinaxNOW Ag+ Card Home Test kit. This is the video-supervised version and can only be purchased online through eMed (6-packs only) or Optum Store (2-pack and 3-packs available). RCI has a link on their site to purchase tests, but it's just a link to the Optum site.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

It's super easy to use and telehealth supervisors are available 24/7. I did a test as backup before flying to LA for an NCL cruise and will use another test to fulfill the requirement for my RCI cruise in December. Easy peasy. For the latter I'll call in to do the test a couple hours before heading to the airport. That's plenty of time. 

La Lido Loca has a video on how to perform the test, including an unplanned demonstration of why you should have an extra test kit or two just in case: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our current plans for next May are to fly GJT to DFW on Tues. Then take NCL's air DFW to which ever airport in UK on Wed.-Thurs. Spend 2 nights Thurs & Fri in Southampton and board NCL Dawn on Sat.   There is no way to get to DFW  the same day that NCL's air will probably depart.  Not when we will not know our flights until 45 days out.  I'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead and normally I would have booked flights 2 months ago but was waiting to make sure my friend is still going as DH does not want to go.  With different reservations for GJT - DFW and possibly different airlines we will have to retreive our luggage and recheck in for the DFW to London flight.  Just not doable on same day.  Only choice might be is to not have the 2 nts. stay in Southampton.   I might wait to book flights for a couple months to see if things change.

13 minutes ago, coastcat said:

If you cannot find a free/cheap test near home...

There are many threads on other CC boards regarding the Abbott BinaxNOW Ag+ Card Home Test kit. This is the video-supervised version and can only be purchased online through eMed (6-packs only) or Optum Store (2-pack and 3-packs available). RCI has a link on their site to purchase tests, but it's just a link to the Optum site.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

It's super easy to use and telehealth supervisors are available 24/7. I did a test as backup before flying to LA for an NCL cruise and will use another test to fulfill the requirement for my RCI cruise in December. Easy peasy. For the latter I'll call in to do the test a couple hours before heading to the airport. That's plenty of time. 

La Lido Loca has a video on how to perform the test, including an unplanned demonstration of why you should have an extra test kit or two just in case: 

I’ve seen many many many people use this and say it’s fantastic.  Definitely might be a good option for all the Hawaii cruisers, as long as they have wifi in their hotel. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jebhoward3 said:

Our current plans for next May are to fly GJT to DFW on Tues. Then take NCL's air DFW to which ever airport in UK on Wed.-Thurs. Spend 2 nights Thurs & Fri in Southampton and board NCL Dawn on Sat.   There is no way to get to DFW  the same day that NCL's air will probably depart.  Not when we will not know our flights until 45 days out.  I'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead and normally I would have booked flights 2 months ago but was waiting to make sure my friend is still going as DH does not want to go.  With different reservations for GJT - DFW and possibly different airlines we will have to retreive our luggage and recheck in for the DFW to London flight.  Just not doable on same day.  Only choice might be is to not have the 2 nts. stay in Southampton.   I might wait to book flights for a couple months to see if things change.

Don’t Flights from DFW to Europe depart in the evening, usually after 8pm?  If I am understanding this correctly,  you are spending overnight in Dallas on Tuesday?  You should have time on Wednesday to get a test.  There are test sites at the airport. I would not  attempt  to fly a separate flight to DFW; and then board a different flight the same day, anyway.  Yes, you will be required to retrieve your luggage and check in at DFW, show passport, vaccine certification.  Also, things could change by May.  

The only day flights I know of to London are from the  NYC area airports and  I think Dulles.  

I guess NCL could fly you around to different cities NYC, Charlotte, Chicago, Philadelphia,  Etc.during the day before the night flight, however.  

Edited by milolii

9 hours ago, Middleager said:

I didn't get any email yet.  But it sounds like NCL wants to put the onus of testing and paying for it, on cruisers rather than them administering tests on embarkation. 

Does that also mean NCL won't provide free tests just before disembarkation?

Same way other cruise lines operate. 

2 hours ago, hernando52 said:

Lovely.  We're booked on the POA and are planning to come in two days early...For a Saturday departure, that means getting tested anytime from Thursday on...Slight problem in that we'll be flying in from the east coast all day on Thursday.....are we going to be expected to find a Covid test place when we arrive in Hawaii?  Isn't that just a wonderful way to start a vacation!  I really want to know test results while I am back on the mainland...before flying to Hawaii.  If for some strange reason either of us tests positive in Hawaii...we'll be stuck in quarantine...no cruise and no refund.  3 days out would not be a problem.....If this rule stays in place, we'll be cancelling...and we are fully vaccinated.  I'll be watching this subject carefully

I am in your situation in reverse...I live on Hawaiʻi Island, and am flying to New York 2 days before my Bermuda cruise this fall. The cruise embarks on Saturday, which means I would have to take the test on Thursday...but Thursday morning I need to be at the airport in Kona by 10:30am and I won't arrive in New York until 7:00am on Friday morning. I think I'll be forced to use the option at the pier because the CVS nearest to me doesn't offer testing appointments early enough on Thursday morning. When I booked the cruise NCL's information was different: their pre-trip testing window was bigger so I would have been able to have gotten tested a day or two before flying, and then taken their test at boarding.

As far as COVID testing goes in Hawaiʻi, it's going to be easier in Honolulu than it is where I live. Use the CVS web site to set up an appointment at the CVS at 1030 South King Street. You need to be in a car and able to go through the drive through, so if you don't have a pre-trip rental car get a taxi to take you there and keep the meter running while you do the test.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

2 minutes ago, Leela said:

I am in your situation in reverse...I live on Hawaiʻi Island, and am flying to New York 2 days before my Bermuda cruise this fall. The cruise embarks on Saturday, which means I would have to take the test on Thursday...but Thursday morning I need to be at the airport in Kona by 10:30am and I won't arrive in New York until 7:00am on Friday morning. I think I'll be forced to use the option at the pier because the CVS nearest to me doesn't offer testing appointments early enough on Thursday morning. When I booked the cruise NCL's information was different: their pre-trip testing window was bigger so I would have been able to have gotten tested a day or two before flying, and then taken their test at boarding.

As far as COVID testing goes in Hawaiʻi, it's going to be easier in Honolulu than it is where I live. Use the CVS web site to set up an appointment at the CVS at 1030 South King Street. You need to be in a car and able to go through the drive through, so if you don't have a pre-trip rental car get a taxi to take you there and keep the meter running while you do the test.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Why don't you just do one of those on-line tests?

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why don't you just do one of those on-line tests?

I may be confused but I thought the on-line tests require you to FedEX your sample to the testing laboratory. If that is so, there is basically no *real* overnight delivery out of Kona due to the plane schedule. If I took the test on Thursday it might not even get to the lab until Saturday, which is embarkation day.

If I'm confused please explain, thanks!

Laura

Edited by Leela