New Testing Rules Starting January 17th

ktpc2005

4 hours ago, jy0ung1 said:

NCL is not doing  this as a favor to any passengers. NCL is shifting the logistics and cost to the passenger.  This is simply a cost cutting measure.  Many other companies are already using this model and until the CDC relaxes guidelines we will probably see this as the standard.

Admittedly, it will save NCL many thousands of dollars for testing and related logistics.  I'm OK with that.  I would have tested before getting on a flight anyway so the cost shift is neutral to me.  And if that negative test is my golden ticket on to the ship, as opposed to merely advancing to the next test, it's a win for me.

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

If you cannot find a free/cheap test near home...

There are many threads on other CC boards regarding the Abbott BinaxNOW Ag+ Card Home Test kit. This is the video-supervised version and can only be purchased online through eMed (6-packs only) or Optum Store (2-pack and 3-packs available). RCI has a link on their site to purchase tests, but it's just a link to the Optum site.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

It's super easy to use and telehealth supervisors are available 24/7. I did a test as backup before flying to LA for an NCL cruise and will use another test to fulfill the requirement for my RCI cruise in December. Easy peasy. For the latter I'll call in to do the test a couple hours before heading to the airport. That's plenty of time. 

La Lido Loca has a video on how to perform the test, including an unplanned demonstration of why you should have an extra test kit or two just in case: 

My cousin is a test proctor for Vault Health, similar to Binax but saliva-based.  Think Ancestry DNA as opposed to the nasal swab.  If I don't have results back in time (it's a PCR) I'll have a reservation for CVS Antigen test the evening before I fly out.  So yeah, conceivably 3 tests counting the pier.  I'll be happy for the new process.

So is a 96 hour PCR test satisfy the at least two day rule?

or by their letter do they want a test dated Friday for Sunday departure 

Is it possible they will send out clarification? 

is any at home antigen test okay 

cvs has two different types. Is that what they mean by verified third party?

Edited by RYMOMA

And what about cruises that stop at or go to Bermuda?  Everyone remembers the double PCR tests we had to take for the Breakaway trips.  I'm on the Epic transatlantic that also stops overnight in Bermuda.  Will Eurofins still be doing the PCR tests at the NYC pier?  And will NCL accept the CVS PCR test we will have to get 96 hours before?

Edited by EllieinNJ

23 minutes ago, Leela said:

I may be confused but I thought the on-line tests require you to FedEX your sample to the testing laboratory. If that is so, there is basically no *real* overnight delivery out of Kona due to the plane schedule. If I took the test on Thursday it might not even get to the lab until Saturday, which is embarkation day.

OH MY! I *was* confused. I'm watching the video about the proctored Binax test now. Thank you for the suggestion, ChiefMateJRK!

Laura

Edited by Leela
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

And what about cruises that stop at or go to Bermuda?  Everyone remembers the double PCR tests we had to take for the Breakaway trips.  I'm on the Epic transatlantic that also stops overnight in Bermuda.  Will Eurofins still be doing the PCR tests at the NYC pier?  And will NCL accept the CVS PCR test we will have to get 96 hours before?

Unless the CDC changes its rules NCL can't accept the PCR test you take 96 hours out for the Bermuda Travel Authorization because the CDC requires you to be tested no earlier than 2 days prior to departure. That would mean you would need two predeparture tests, one PCR for Bermuda and one PCR or antigen test for the CDC. On top of that you'd need a third test, another PCR for Bermuda's arrival requirements

Well before this announcement NCL cancelled a Bermuda port call on a transatlantic originating in Europe because it was impossible to meet Bermuda's testing requirements. Admittedly the testing logistics were even worse than they are for your cruise because the Bermuda port call was after the cruise had spent about 5 days at sea, but even for your cruise it would be impossible to test all the passengers on board for their Bermuda arrival PCR test. Absent a major change in Bermuda's requirements your Bermuda port call is likely to be cancelled.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coastcat said:

If you cannot find a free/cheap test near home...

There are many threads on other CC boards regarding the Abbott BinaxNOW Ag+ Card Home Test kit. This is the video-supervised version and can only be purchased online through eMed (6-packs only) or Optum Store (2-pack and 3-packs available). RCI has a link on their site to purchase tests, but it's just a link to the Optum site.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

DH and I brought these tests with us to Ireland in August and they worked really well for our tests to come back to the US. Very easy, although plan for about 45 minutes to an hour per person. We each had about a 25 minute wait for the proctor, plus the time to administer the test and the 15 minute wait for the results. I'm thinking we'll do something similar prior to our Baltic cruise in July, as we will be spending time in Amsterdam prior to embarking in Copenhagen.

Just make sure you are buying the proctored version and not the at home version.

• Like 1

Everyone is freaking out about the wording, which is admittedly poor, but they provided a handy table below in case you missed learning the days of the week in elementary school and don't know what day is 2 days before Saturday. 

If you can't find a PCR or antigen test that gets results in two days, you're not looking hard enough. I know Carnival and Royal have been doing this since August maybe (used to be 3 days). Thousands of cruise passengers have had no issues meeting this requirement, so I'm sure y'all will be fine. 

For my past two cruises, I got free PCR tests and had results that same day. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Everyone is freaking out about the wording, which is admittedly poor, but they provided a handy table below in case you missed learning the days of the week in elementary school and don't know what day is 2 days before Saturday. 

If you can't find a PCR or antigen test that gets results in two days, you're not looking hard enough. I know Carnival and Royal have been doing this since August maybe (used to be 3 days). Thousands of cruise passengers have had no issues meeting this requirement, so I'm sure y'all will be fine. 

For my past two cruises, I got free PCR tests and had results that same day. 

Who is “freaking out?”  Did you really not know the days of the week until you went to school?  That’s weird. 

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

Personally glad I'm sailing in December. Would much rather everyone get tested at the pier, that's the safest way you can know someone is going to test positive.

This will increase the chances someone tests positive on a cruise and everyone has to deal with the ramifications. Even if it's a slight increase, I'd rather avoid being deemed a close contact for sitting next to someone at dinner.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

How would they know who you sat next to at dinner?

I could easily be wrong, but I'd imagine they would keep records of which staterooms were within X feet of each other based on keycard payments during covid.

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the 2 day requirement will eventually be stretched to three or four.

Only if the CDC recommendations change from 2 days to 3 or 4. And the CDC did just the opposite a few months ago, changing from 3 days to 2 days for vaccinated passengers. (Which are all NCL passengers) So I don't know that they're likely go back in the other direction.

I'm betting NCL wants to stay in line with CDC recommendations. Though they did defy those recommendations on the masking issue, so I could be wrong.

I’m cruising next week on Princess and that has been the requirement for some time.   Two days does make it tough, wish it was three.  We had to change our flight and hotel when this came down.  Planning to get tested locally in the AM and leave PM.  I did buy the E med test for back up if our results are held up.    If all else fails, we can get tested at port for $150 pp and do not take insurance.   

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe they are using facial recognition software. They track the infected person and identify close contacts based on video. The key card may help in the process, but I think facial recognition is the end point. 

15 hours ago, Lucinarei said:

DH and I brought these tests with us to Ireland in August and they worked really well for our tests to come back to the US. Very easy, although plan for about 45 minutes to an hour per person. We each had about a 25 minute wait for the proctor, plus the time to administer the test and the 15 minute wait for the results. I'm thinking we'll do something similar prior to our Baltic cruise in July, as we will be spending time in Amsterdam prior to embarking in Copenhagen.

Just make sure you are buying the proctored version and not the at home version.

Because we were *very* anxious to know our results we did our emed tests around 3AM in the morning of the Friday before our Sunday cruise, and both of us had zero wait time for a proctor. If someone has a tight day schedule it might be worth hopping on very early in the morning to avoid any rush. I assume as these get more and more popular the wait times will grow unless they keep staffing up on proctors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Videos and facial recognition software combined with interviews. Somewhere on this board, or roll call, is a story of a roaming teen who had contacts with 60(?) people leading to their being quarantined.

12 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Videos and facial recognition software combined with interviews. Somewhere on this board, or roll call, is a story of a roaming teen who had contacts with 60(?) people leading to their being quarantined.

Yes, it was the Breakaway Oct. 31 sailing,  

Our cruise isn't until March, but this change does create some complications. We are flying to Orlando 2 days before embarkation in Port Canaveral in order to visit Kennedy Space Center the day before the cruise. It looks like our options are to try to get the first appointments of the day to test at our home airport (any later and we might miss our flight), do a proctored eMed at-home test from our hotel, or wait and do the test at the port. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, basicprincess24 said:

Our cruise isn't until March, but this change does create some complications. We are flying to Orlando 2 days before embarkation in Port Canaveral in order to visit Kennedy Space Center the day before the cruise. It looks like our options are to try to get the first appointments of the day to test at our home airport (any later and we might miss our flight), do a proctored eMed at-home test from our hotel, or wait and do the test at the port. 

If I understand your schedule correctly, I think you have one more option: do the proctored eMed test from your own home, anytime after 12:01am on the day you fly to Florida.

BTW, the Kennedy Space Center is fabulous.  Enjoy it and your cruise!

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYYcclhBGOal9qa1g_FeXoG5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1637099971

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, basicprincess24 said:

How much are the protorced  eMed test? How do you get results? This sounds like a good plan. I was planning on leaving 2 days early for my cruise in April.