Pre & Post Cruise COVID testing - Up-to-Date info please

cruise101

I have read that Princess requires a negative COVID test result undertaken 2 days prior to boarding. Is this an Antigen or PCR/NAAT test?

Also, some cruise lines (e.g. NCL) administer the tests at the terminal prior to embarkation. Does Princess do the same.

After the cruise we will be flying straight back home to Canada, which requires a negative test on arrival. I know that certain lines (e.g. Celebrity) offer a test as a free service prior to disembarkation for non-US nationals, to allow them to board their flights back home. Does Princess offer a test on-board prior to disembarking for passengers boarding flights back to their home destination?

Any guidance on the above constantly changing scenario is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sincere apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.

Here’s a link to the most up to date Princess CruiseHealth FAQs which should provide answers to your questions.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

• The test can be one of their approved types of antigen or PCR tests.
  • At some ports there is an independent contractor who can do rapid tests for $150 but that’s intended primarily for passengers whose test results are delayed.
If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still onboard, Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less, before traveling to the ship. Using MedallionNet onboard, these at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test while onboard and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cruise101 said:

Thanks so much Astro Flyer for this info. It is a BIG help.

You’re welcome…generally Princess does a good job keeping that CruiseHealth webpage updated.

Next Fall we’re booked from Quebec to Ft Lauderdale & hopefully will be allowed to easily arrive in your country. 🤞😊

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, cruise101 said:

I have read that Princess requires a negative COVID test result undertaken 2 days prior to boarding.

That is within two days before boarding. It can be two days, one day or even embarkation day as long as you can get the results in time.

6 hours ago, cruise101 said:

I have read that Princess requires a negative COVID test result undertaken 2 days prior to boarding. Is this an Antigen or PCR/NAAT test?

Also, some cruise lines (e.g. NCL) administer the tests at the terminal prior to embarkation. Does Princess do the same.

After the cruise we will be flying straight back home to Canada, which requires a negative test on arrival. I know that certain lines (e.g. Celebrity) offer a test as a free service prior to disembarkation for non-US nationals, to allow them to board their flights back home. Does Princess offer a test on-board prior to disembarking for passengers boarding flights back to their home destination?

Any guidance on the above constantly changing scenario is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sincere apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.

Fellow Canadian here. We'll be boarding the Sky at PE this Saturday, so have started to get all the paperwork ready. You'll have two issues to contend with, getting into the US and onto a Princess ship at the start of your cruise, then getting back home to Canada at the end. Getting down simply requires, in addition to all your flight paperwork, proof of vaccination, a negative Antigen test and a filled out CDC Attestation Form, which should be downloadable from your airline's website (it's on AC site for sure, can't speak for WJ) The Antigen test, done two days before the cruise is good for both the flight and Princess.  At the end of the trip, you will CURRENTLY need a negative PCR test and to have filled out the ArriveCan info and submitted it before your flight home.  Make very sure you get a PCR test, if you show up at the Canadian border with a negative Antigen test, you will be hit with fines approaching $6000. Right now, Princess is supplying the needed test at the pier immediately after disembarkation, bit nobody knows how long  they will continue to do it. As you know, there has been a lot of discussion up here in the last week or so about this very onerous and expensive PCR test requirement, so it is possible it may be eased off a bit. Most likely downgraded to an Antigen test, it's too much to hope that they will ditch it entirely.  Also, keep in mind that if you test positive after your cruise, you will not be able to fly home commercially for up to 14 days, but Princess will cover basic hotel and meals while you quarantine.  Also, there's a lot of good constructive discussion about our Canada=specific "issues" over the on the Canadian Cruisers CC sub-forum.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

That is within two days before boarding. It can be two days, one day or even embarkation day as long as you can get the results in time.

The info from Princess says 72 hours prior to boarding.

If we are cruising on a Sunday does that allow us to get tested on Thursday or do we have to wait until Friday?

Second question - this will be our first test for Covid - do the results come online or do we physically need to return to the testing site (most likely CVS) to get them?

Thanks all!

9 minutes ago, chamima said:

The info from Princess says 72 hours prior to boarding.

If we are cruising on a Sunday does that allow us to get tested on Thursday or do we have to wait until Friday?

That statement is not what the Princess website currently states.  Here is what the testing requirement states on the Princess web site:  "Yes, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation. If sailing on Sunday, the test may be taken on Friday and Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in."

Here is the link, you can find this answer under the question "Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?"  

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the United States - Princess Cruises

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Second question - this will be our first test for Covid - do the results come online or do we physically need to return to the testing site (most likely CVS) to get them?

The results of the CVS rapid antigen test that I took last month was accessible online.  They also sent it by email.  There was no need for me to return to the testing site for them.  I assume this is the same for all tests, so be extra sure the contact info you give them is accurate.

• Like 1

We cruise in one week. We have scheduled a PCR for just before we get on the plane on Monday. We also scheduled a rapid for the night before we cruise in FLL (just be be safe- if our PCR does not come back in time). 

Both are free at CVS. You just have to schedule early. 

4 hours ago, TracieABD said:

We cruise in one week. We have scheduled a PCR for just before we get on the plane on Monday. We also scheduled a rapid for the night before we cruise in FLL (just be be safe- if our PCR does not come back in time). 

Both are free at CVS. You just have to schedule early. 

I looked at the CVS website and it does not appear the test is free if it is only being done for the purposes of going on a cruise. I guess one could always get around this by answering the questions differently. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I looked at the CVS website and it does not appear the test is free if it is only being done for the purposes of going on a cruise. I guess one could always get around this by answering the questions differently. 

I took a test at CVS about 4 weeks ago.  The only question I answered YES to was if it was for future travel.  I gave them my insurance card.  They did not charge me at the CVS and so far my insurance has not billed me.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I took a test at CVS about 4 weeks ago.  The only question I answered YES to was if it was for future travel.  I gave them my insurance card.  They did not charge me at the CVS and so far my insurance has not billed me.  

That has been my experience as well.  However, it may depend on what state you are in.  I believe that CVS is one of the participants in a large, government-funded research study- and was told that is why there was no charge for testing at their sites.