Current Included Wines on Explorer

NCCruzQueen

People often ask about the wine offerings on certain ships.  This shows what is poured on Explorer this cruise.  It does not include some of the wines served in the speciality restaurants.

Also there will be a Champagne lunch, a Beluga vodka and caviar tasting and a Hennessy event all for an added charge.  If they are for you, it could be a good way to use your On Board Credits.

2BB056CF-B882-4F41-8774-CFD2C4154DB2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The wines listed above are a small sampling of the “House” wines – the Somms usually do a “tasting” on the first sea day and these are the wines that were poured for that tasting.  There are many more house wines available, some “good” and others not so much.  You can always ask your Somm for a “tasting pour” of any wine you see on board and it’s always good to ask them what they think are the best house wines on board at the moment. 

On the other hand, Regent has always had an excellent “Connoisseurs” Wine List.  We have always felt that their mark up was reasonable – would put their wine prices at high-end retail.  Their prices are usually higher than Wine Searcher’s average price but below the highest Wine Searcher prices.  There is a good selection, and we usually select a dinner wine from that list and try the house wine at lunch.

We often bring our own wines aboard, from our cellar if leaving from a US port or buy some wines in the country we’re visiting.  There is never any problem or corkage fee if you bring your own wine – you’re saving Regent money.

All of the above was true before March 2020 – we’ll be boarding Splendor on Nov 23rd and will hopefully find that it is still true.

Bob

• Like 2

Thanks Bob for very encouraging information, since this (January 2022 ) cruise is our first with Regent. 

Both my wife and I drink only RED wine , so the earlier list was somewhat disappointing. 

Like you, we usually take some "good " wine with us , specially if  NOT flying out of country for the cruise.  But your further detail on wines availability is definitely a positive news for us.

1 hour ago, Eno-Bob said:

The wines listed above are a small sampling of the “House” wines – the Somms usually do a “tasting” on the first sea day and these are the wines that were poured for that tasting.  There are many more house wines available, some “good” and others not so much.  You can always ask your Somm for a “tasting pour” of any wine you see on board and it’s always good to ask them what they think are the best house wines on board at the moment. 

On the other hand, Regent has always had an excellent “Connoisseurs” Wine List.  We have always felt that their mark up was reasonable – would put their wine prices at high-end retail.  Their prices are usually higher than Wine Searcher’s average price but below the highest Wine Searcher prices.  There is a good selection, and we usually select a dinner wine from that list and try the house wine at lunch.

We often bring our own wines aboard, from our cellar if leaving from a US port or buy some wines in the country we’re visiting.  There is never any problem or corkage fee if you bring your own wine – you’re saving Regent money.

All of the above was true before March 2020 – we’ll be boarding Splendor on Nov 23rd and will hopefully find that it is still true.

Bob

Mark-upon for the Connoisseurs list is a bit higher than I remember from pre-Covid, but still reasonable, and in range of the increase in retail prices of wine where I live.

2 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Maybe we'll pick up a couple of bottles in Barcelona to take along!

We're going to try and do that too -- unfortunately we get in to Barcelona in late afternoon so we'll have to see what can be done with time and distance.

Looking forward to seeing you onboard!

Thanks for the updated list, very helpful.

I've often argued that the included wines on luxury lines are disappointing.  In general I find the list above acceptable for daytime wines but would like to see a program to up the quality at dinner (& pre-dinner).   Currently you can either have the $12 Raymond Field Blend or purchase the Caymus Cab for $120 (to be fair there are options around $75).  The experience would be greatly improved if wines offered at dinner retail in the $20-$35 range.  Regent, Seabourn & Co could either just raise the price of the cruise or offer a package.  These "free" wines would certainly quickly get boring for a long cruise and I would budget buying connoisseur wines several times a week.

2 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Is there a list available of upcharge wines/bubbles?

Yes, there is a wine list published and one should be available in your cabin.  If not, I'm sure you can request one for your cabin or use the list at the restaurants / bars.  The list can change cruise-to-cruise and, as far as I'm aware, Regent does not publish it.  The list has been photographed and posted in the forum before, but not recently - would be before the shut down.  If someone doesn't do it before, we will try to take some pictures and post them when we are onboard.

Bob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Is there a list available of upcharge wines/bubbles? Just booked out first Regent cruise on the Explorer. Thank you. 

This a little old but it will give you a framework.  As someone mentioned above the connoisseur list is fairly reasonably priced.    Five years ago it was a great value (cheaper than wine stores) but prices have gone up some since then, still not bad

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2635631-live-from-explorer-feb-17-march-9/page/3/

• Like 1

That is not the list I was expecting for regent.  The premium beverage package on celebrity had better wines.   I would think they would have at least 20-25 retail pricing wines on board to complement the food.  I Guess not. So disappointing.

27 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

That is not the list I was expecting for regent.  The premium beverage package on celebrity had better wines.   I would think they would have at least 20-25 retail pricing wines on board to complement the food.  I Guess not. So disappointing.

As mentioned……this list is from a while back so could very well have changed since then. My intent was to give people a “here’s what they used to offer” view of their selections.

1 minute ago, Gpilon said:

As mentioned……this list is from a while back so could very well have changed since then. My intent was to give people a “here’s what they used to offer” view of their selections.

I was referring to the OP list...  and don't get me wrong while I enjoy some nice wines regularly, I am perfectly happy drinking a nice 20-30 retail cab, blend malbec... but if I have to go with a 12 bottle - I'll probably rather go with a drink or beer instead.  I don't see those wines on par with some of the liquor selections offered.   

34 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

I have to agree.  I've never sailed on Seabourn or SS but from what I've seen their included wines are in the same range as Regents, so its all the 'luxury" lines with included wines.  When you look at the new wine list that started the thread you have to take into consideration EndoBob's comment that there are many more included wines but they are mostly <$15 and many <12.   I think Regent could do a much better job informing people of all available wines, you really have dig to find out.  I just found out in these threads that there is the tasting party so you know what's available.

I don't want to give the impression that were are always hammered but we drink whites during the day reds during the evening.   I agree with the posts above that the whites are acceptable during the day, the French burgundy & the Gavi are quite good.  Where it fails for us is at dinner (red), they do rotate different wines of the day which is nice but they are still cheaper wines.  This is my point that they (all luxury lines) should introduce higher quality wines at dinner.  Somewhere between the included and connoisseur wines.

Currently if you want a quality red with dinner you have to buy it from the connoisseur list which starts in the $70 range.  My first Regent cruise I had a $1000 OBC, spent it all on wine had a blast.