When/how do we determine what NY Terminal for Embarkation in 2022?

AZjohn

Hi,

We still have 10 months before our cruise but, Princess web site still list embarkation cruise terminal as either Manhattan or Brooklyn. Though we have flights secured, I would like to know where to book hotel close to whatever pier Enchanted will be docked for embarkation.

Is there a site that lists what ships are reserved for the two terminals for October 2022?

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, msmoger said:

General rule of thumb. If NYC is the embarkation or disembarkation port it will be Red Hook in Brooklyn.  If it's just a port stop (not too common) it will be Manhattan.

That’s been our experience & when in-transit for a day in NYC berthing in Manhattan provides much better access to places to visit than berthing at Red Hook.

5 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Interesting pre-cruise dinner choice is Buttermilk Channel at 524 Court Street. It shares the name of the waterway on which the Red Hook cruise terminal is located.

Thanks for all your info @NavArch. I'm a fish out of water anywhere in NY outside their airports and have no clue on anything there.

Not flying in until 10:00pm night before cruise so sadly no meals there for us before cruise.

After cruise though we will be spending several days there and really look forward to eating there (and of course got to take the wife to a play 🙂

I checked prices at Marriott and $400 out the door right now (refundable). I like Marriott's so will keep an eye on their prices as we get closer.

Thanks again!

John

You mentioned that you won't be arriving until 10 pm so all you really need is a place to sleep. Instead of booking a hotel near the pier, I would look at hotels near whatever airport you are flying into - LGA, JFK, EWR - and using a car service or car ride [Uber/Lyft] to the pier the next morning.

If you are staying in NYC after the cruise to see the sights and go to the theatre, I suggest that you book a hotel in Manhattan, not Brooklyn.  Brooklyn is great but it's easier for a tourist if you stay in Manhattan.

We always use Dial7 car service. Good prices , prompt pickup. We have used them to take us to the port from whatever hotel we are staying at and also to the airport at the end of the cruise.

There is a hotel a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal in Brooklyn. It was sold so don't know what it is now. Convenient if you are just needing to sleep there and get on cruise ship the next day.It used to be a Comfort Inn  I believe.

Last time it was totally booked so we stayed at Radisson near JFK (we flew in there) . Had a restful sleep and next day took Dial 7 to the cruise.

The last time we had NY as a cruise stop  in 2018 and not a embarkation (Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale). We docked at Red Hook not Manhattan. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

I much prefer Red Hook - it can be maddening to get a taxi at the Manhattan pier and a hassle with all the "gypsy" cabbies trying to scrounge rides

Uber and Lyft have replaced the gypsy cabs. They are the best choice. You know what you are paying upfront and they don't take you the long way to keep a meter running. Also it's easier to order a Lyft or an Uber than it is to hail a cab.

12 hours ago, msmoger said:

General rule of thumb. If NYC is the embarkation or disembarkation port it will be Red Hook in Brooklyn.  If it's just a port stop (not too common) it will be Manhattan.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. We are on an October sailing next year from Quebec to PE with a stop in NYC. Been to Red Hook many times and agree there isn't a lot to see or do that doesn't involve a journey of some sort. 

Never been to the Manhattan dock so if what you say remains post-pandemic, should be an interesting stop.  😀

13 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Hi,

We still have 10 months before our cruise but, Princess web site still list embarkation cruise terminal as either Manhattan or Brooklyn. Though we have flights secured, I would like to know where to book hotel close to whatever pier Enchanted will be docked for embarkation.

Is there a site that lists what ships are reserved for the two terminals for October 2022?

Thanks,

John

John,

Have you looked at the port site for New York?  That should tell you what ships will be where. 

Tom😀

4 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

You mentioned that you won't be arriving until 10 pm so all you really need is a place to sleep. Instead of booking a hotel near the pier, I would look at hotels near whatever airport you are flying into - LGA, JFK, EWR - and using a car service or car ride [Uber/Lyft] to the pier the next morning.

If you are staying in NYC after the cruise to see the sights and go to the theatre, I suggest that you book a hotel in Manhattan, not Brooklyn.  Brooklyn is great but it's easier for a tourist if you stay in Manhattan.

Very interesting point of view….

We arrive JFK at 10:00. Picked that one knowing there is several red eyes behind it if our plane has a mechanical or crew problem.

And just kind of thought we would get the long driving part out of the way to make a easy embarkation morning. But, your idea sounds as good or better than mine😊.

After the cruise my wife is in charge of where we stay. She wants to play tour director and show me everything in just 48 hours (she has been there a few times with the girlfriends). 

Thanks and keep up the great ideas👍

12 minutes ago, trbarton said:

John,

Have you looked at the port site for New York?  That should tell you what ships will be where. 

Tom😀

Hi Tom,

Googeld them and the “official site” (who knows this is fact) showed only two ships at one of the thermals for all of 2022. Had a feeling this was updated a very long time ago.

Thats my research so far before I posted for help here 🙂

10 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. We are on an October sailing next year from Quebec to PE with a stop in NYC. Been to Red Hook many times and agree there isn't a lot to see or do that doesn't involve a journey of some sort. 

Never been to the Manhattan dock so if what you say remains post-pandemic, should be an interesting stop.  😀

In this case I wouldn't assume you'll dock in Manhattan.  I would think that there are a number of passengers boarding for the first time heading to the Caribbean and PE as well as those disembarking in NY.  I would think Princess is better setup for this in Red Hook.

On a side note, we were on the Regal for the TA in 9/2017 scheduled to end in Red Hook.  Due to hurricane Jose we were rerouted further south (bypassing Newport and Boston).  We ended up with an extra sea day and a port day in Manhattan on Saturday (docked next to the Intrepid).  During the middle of the night we sailed to Red Hook for Sunday morning's disembarkation.

30 minutes ago, msmoger said:

In this case I wouldn't assume you'll dock in Manhattan.  I would think that there are a number of passengers boarding for the first time heading to the Caribbean and PE as well as those disembarking in NY.  I would think Princess is better setup for this in Red Hook.

On a side note, we were on the Regal for the TA in 9/2017 scheduled to end in Red Hook.  Due to hurricane Jose we were rerouted further south (bypassing Newport and Boston).  We ended up with an extra sea day and a port day in Manhattan on Saturday (docked next to the Intrepid).  During the middle of the night we sailed to Red Hook for Sunday morning's disembarkation.

On the Quebec to Ft Lauderdale with the stop in NY, it is only a port stop. No one joins the ship in NY or leaves there.

5 hours ago, san diego sue said:

On the Quebec to Ft Lauderdale with the stop in NY, it is only a port stop. No one joins the ship in NY or leaves there.

5 hours ago, msmoger said:

You are correct.  My mistake.

Should we read into this that  Manhattan is still a possibility for us?

5 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Should we read into this that  Manhattan is still a possibility for us?

When we were on the Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in 2014 we were at Red Hook. It was a beautiful fall day and we had a cabin on the starboard side facing Manhattan and had a great view of it and the Statue of Liberty as we sailed away.  Enjoy the cruise - it was one of our favorites!

• Thanks 1