Just booked Explorer Holiday cruise!

kjbacon

On 11/23/2021 at 5:11 AM, kjbacon said:

Hopefully you will be at the Margarita and Bloody Mary Society Meeting! I had said on our first day but I realize that it will be our second day with the Bahamas on day one. Is SS Silversea? How does that line compare to Regent?

Our first SS was very disappointing. Still tending to the brickbats and darts I received when I dared to criticize the line on cc. Some things were lovely but some awful….fingers touching my salad leaves for example while delivering my plate to the table. But they have the best Covid policy. 
To be fair my first Crystal cruise was just ok and we love it now. So, we are going on a SS transatlantic in March….giving it one more shot!

I didn’t like the formal aspect of the cruise. Also you cannot order from elsewhere to the room at lunch and there is a very basic in room menu. Included Caviar does not cut it for me.  

Anyway looking forward to the Explorer …..haven’t been on Regent for a few years. 

17 hours ago, Emdee said:

Our first SS was very disappointing. Still tending to the brickbats and darts I received when I dared to criticize the line on cc. Some things were lovely but some awful….fingers touching my salad leaves for example while delivering my plate to the table. But they have the best Covid policy. 
To be fair my first Crystal cruise was just ok and we love it now. So, we are going on a SS transatlantic in March….giving it one more shot!

I didn’t like the formal aspect of the cruise. Also you cannot order from elsewhere to the room at lunch and there is a very basic in room menu. Included Caviar does not cut it for me.  

Anyway looking forward to the Explorer …..haven’t been on Regent for a few years. 

We also don’t like a more formal atmosphere but I hope you enjoy your upcoming TA. Keep us posted! We love Regent and are very excited to be getting back on board in less than a month!! It should be a lot of fun to meet all of you as we get back to cruising. We are trying Oceania for the first time in March and Seabourn for the first time in July so I’m anxious to see how they compare.

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We also don’t like a more formal atmosphere but I hope you enjoy your upcoming TA. Keep us posted! We love Regent and are very excited to be getting back on board in less than a month!! It should be a lot of fun to meet all of you as we get back to cruising. We are trying Oceania for the first time in March and Seabourn for the first time in July so I’m anxious to see how they compare.

We were on one Oceania in 2008 and hated it….great itinerary but very restrictive after Regent. In Feb 2020 went on a b2b on Seabourn. Loved some of the restaurants but not the main dining room. But the service was fabulous. The buffet area was great and had theme nights. No dress up needed. They were happy to make special orders for us. Thomas Keller was fabulous. 

Kjbacon said: "We are trying Oceania for the first time in March and Seabourn for the first time in July so I’m anxious to see how they compare."

Just to give you a different perspective, we have been on Oceania twice, 2 and 3 years ago and enjoyed both very much. Specialty restaurants were very good. Our only complaint was quality of included wines (we had the beverage "package"), otherwise very satisfied. So far, the best " wine package / or included" has been on Crystal. 

--Have not been on Seabourn yet

• Like 1

Very helpful feedback, thank you. Not the first time I’ve heard that Oceania is the place for some really good food but you have to be prepared to pay extra for everything while Seabourn service is top notch. I do like the description of casual theme nights on Seabourn, we just aren’t the formal type. I’m not sure yet how we will handle the drink issue on Oceania. We are mostly red wine drinkers so the wine package might be our best bet.

For those of you who have not seen on the other thread, we hope to meet up for a get acquainted toast at 3pm on embarkation day at the pool bar in good weather or the Observation Lounge for a backup.

"We are mostly red wine drinkers so the wine package might be our best bet."

Kibacon, my wife and I are strictly red wine drinkers too, I suggest you take a few good bottles on board Oceania, in addition to wine package.

And if you are booking bigger suites, you get choice of some better wine in your suite

1 hour ago, docmark said:

"We are mostly red wine drinkers so the wine package might be our best bet."

Kibacon, my wife and I are strictly red wine drinkers too, I suggest you take a few good bottles on board Oceania, in addition to wine package.

And if you are booking bigger suites, you get choice of some better wine in your suite

Thank you for this suggestion … we did take a bigger suite and asked our TA to request that the included bottles be red wine instead of gin or rum, etc (and to sub red wine for the champagne). Will these be the better wines? In your experience, are the bottles in the wine package reasonably ok?

Quickie question for those on the "holiday cruise" on the Explorer. Are any of you staying pre cruise at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami? We don't get into Miami until later in the afternoon, but will be at the M,O. overnight and board the Explorer the following morning. If so, maybe a pre cruise "treat" in one of their bars???!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Quickie question for those on the "holiday cruise" on the Explorer. Are any of you staying pre cruise at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami? We don't get into Miami until later in the afternoon, but will be at the M,O. overnight and board the Explorer the following morning. If so, maybe a pre cruise "treat" in one of their bars???!!!!

Unfortunately, we booked too late and we could not take advantage of this perk. That would have been fun!! We are still coming in the day before and will be staying at our fave South Beach hotel.

13 hours ago, Mudhen said:

That's fine....Enjoy! See you onboard!

We will be there, 3pm!  Today is a big football day here in Philly so I must ask if you and John are Giant’s fans!?!?

Edited by kjbacon

DH Chris and I will also plan to join in the first cruise gathering (and subsequent ones, I hope) at 1500 hours at the Pool Bar (with the Observation Bar as plan B in the case of inclement weather).  Will probably be wearing our Washington Nationals (let the rivalry with NYC and Philly begin!)  and pink Santa hats.

There is a Roll Call for this cruise going.  But those on it are not posting here and vice versa!  If you haven't posted there, please consider checking in!

We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  If you are traveling home today or this week, safe travels!

3 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We will be there, 3pm!  Today is a big football day here in Philly so I must ask if you and John are Giant’s fans!?!?

HAHAHAHA! No, not really, however I did note that John can watch either the Jets or the Giants this afternoon! I'll be at one of my girlfriends, drinking wine! We've watched the Jets with interest in Mike White, we like him but aren't really fans of either teams. My boy is Patrick Mahomes, Go Chiefs!

18 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We will arrive in late afternoon as well on the 19th to the MO. Flight arrives at 4pm, hope to be at the hotel by 5:30. Would love getting an early start on toasting our good fortune and new friendships.

3 hours ago, loriva said:

DH Chris and I will also plan to join in the first cruise gathering (and subsequent ones, I hope) at 1500 hours at the Pool Bar (with the Observation Bar as plan B in the case of inclement weather).  Will probably be wearing our Washington Nationals (let the rivalry with NYC and Philly begin!)  and pink Santa hats.

There is a Roll Call for this cruise going.  But those on it are not posting here and vice versa!  If you haven't posted there, please consider checking in!

We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  If you are traveling home today or this week, safe travels!

We look to have a terrific group on board and this could not be more exciting (even if you are wearing Washington shirts)! May I ask your first name.

I have looked for our roll call on this repeatedly and cannot find it?!? I would be very happy to chime in there.

Edited by kjbacon

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

HAHAHAHA! No, not really, however I did note that John can watch either the Jets or the Giants this afternoon! I'll be at one of my girlfriends, drinking wine! We've watched the Jets with interest in Mike White, we like him but aren't really fans of either teams. My boy is Patrick Mahomes, Go Chiefs!

You just keep getting better and better. We are definitely Chiefs friendly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodgerdoug said:

We will arrive in late afternoon as well on the 19th to the MO. Flight arrives at 4pm, hope to be at the hotel by 5:30. Would love getting an early start on toasting our good fortune and new friendships.

Cannot believe that we are missing the first toast! Have one for us everybody?

59 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We look to have a terrific group on board and this could not be more exciting (even if you are wearing Washington shirts)! May I ask your first name.

I have looked for our roll call on this repeatedly and cannot find it?!? I would be very happy to chime in there.

I see the Roll Call as the first one on the Explorer link.  It does not show up if you search for December 2021 for some reason.

And I'm Lori.

Cheers,

2021-11-28 (3).png