Panama Canal on Carnival Freedom question

LoungingMcCoy

My family wants to do a full Panama Canal cruise one day, but it isn't feasible until we're all retired.  My father and I would also really like to visit Cartagena. 

We normally cruise in January, and Carnival has a 9 day cruise to Colón, with a stop at Cartagena, in January 2024.  I just want to confirm, but I'm guessing that the ship doesn't actually go into the Panama Canal?  Are any of the excursions into the Panama Canal any good?

It's going to be quite a few years before we'll be able to do the full transit and my parents are getting up there in age.  I was hoping that the ship travels the canal and then turns around and comes back, but that seems unlikely.  We could at least see the canal, and travel a little bit of it by a smaller craft, in case we never get the opportunity to do the full transit together.   

Carnival generally does this two ways so you have to look at the particulars of your individual cruise.

Way #1.  they do a port stop in Colon but do not enter the Canal.  We did this many years ago on Freedom.  There are many interesting excursions available.  We personally visited the Embera indian village via dugout canoe and then visited the Gatun locks by land. This alternative is generally cheaper as Canal fees are significant and passed on to the passengers as 'fees/taxes'.

Way #2.  they do a Partial transit traversing the Gatun locks, 'sailing' the lake before returning to the Atlantic via the same route (yes, I know they do the occasional full transit.)  Freedom would need to use the NEW locks.  Spirit Class ships (specifically designed Panamax) barely fit and do utilize the OLD locks.  Absolutely do the Old locks.  Awesome experience.  There is no actual stop in Panama so this is technically a 'sea day'.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

I did a partial transit on a different Carnival ship a few years ago, and it was great. Freedom does full transit on a repositioning cruise 2 times a year. . I have been considering doing this, as a back 2 back next year. ie:Seattle to Alaska (RT) then Seattle to Miami.. I'd have to fly to Seattle from AZ and fly back from Miami. Happy cruising!

We are booked on that cruise and it's my understanding the ship does not go through the locks.  We were booked on a MSC repo that was somewhat similar, but was canceled due to the Global Suspension... so when I noticed that itinerary on the Freedom I booked immediately. 

56 minutes ago, TheMettins said:

We are booked on that cruise and it's my understanding the ship does not go through the locks.  We were booked on a MSC repo that was somewhat similar, but was canceled due to the Global Suspension... so when I noticed that itinerary on the Freedom I booked immediately. 

If your itinerary says "Colon, Panama" and not "Panama Canal", you will not be going into the canal or through the locks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

My family wants to do a full Panama Canal cruise one day, but it isn't feasible until we're all retired.  My father and I would also really like to visit Cartagena. 

We normally cruise in January, and Carnival has a 9 day cruise to Colón, with a stop at Cartagena, in January 2024.  I just want to confirm, but I'm guessing that the ship doesn't actually go into the Panama Canal?  Are any of the excursions into the Panama Canal any good?

It's going to be quite a few years before we'll be able to do the full transit and my parents are getting up there in age.  I was hoping that the ship travels the canal and then turns around and comes back, but that seems unlikely.  We could at least see the canal, and travel a little bit of it by a smaller craft, in case we never get the opportunity to do the full transit together.   

Do a full transit through the original locks. You won’t be disappointed.  

We did a partial transit a couple of years ago. Excursion in Costa Rico were fantastic, great pictures and a lot of fun. We got off at Cartagena and toured Old Town and it was pretty interesting but very few people speak english and my wife and I don't speak spanish. Still, very interesting area. I would recommend it to anyone.

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

I believe that the Carnival Freedom is too wide for the old locks.

David

Correct.  The Conquest Class (including Freedom) is beyond Old Lock Panamax size.  Need to be on a Spirit Class to fit.  Trust me, the lock wall was about 12-18 inches from our Deck #1 window.  Pretty darn cool.