Will Viking River Cruises Be Cancelled?

Funky Fusion FoodsJ

We are booked on Viking Vali  beginning in 2 days with extension in Amsterdam and at the end in Budapest. Cruise itself starts 11/25...I just sent chat to Viking re: Austria in lockdown for ALL starting 22nd no activities or businesses will be open. Vali has 3 days in Austria. Germany is locking down for unvaccinated but stores etc. mostly closed. Viking said the news just came out and they are evaluating and to watch for email. I'm afraid they won't cancel and we'll end up floating for days on end...

30 minutes ago, Glammee said:

We are booked on Viking Vali  beginning in 2 days with extension in Amsterdam and at the end in Budapest. Cruise itself starts 11/25...I just sent chat to Viking re: Austria in lockdown for ALL starting 22nd no activities or businesses will be open. Vali has 3 days in Austria. Germany is locking down for unvaccinated but stores etc. mostly closed. Viking said the news just came out and they are evaluating and to watch for email. I'm afraid they won't cancel and we'll end up floating for days on end...

We are literally are in the same boat as you. We are also on the 11/25 sailing on the Vali. We are scheduled to leave Sunday and are going to spend 3 days independent in Amsterdam. Not sure what to do now. 

34 minutes ago, Glammee said:

You're probably right........my first time on Viking, hope the foods good....

Hi all --

Just wanted to add the Cruise Critic editorial team is working hard to try to get answers from all the major river cruise operators now that Austria has gone into lockdown and Germany may follow.

So far, only one line -- Avalon Waterways -- has cancelled its Main and Danube voyages for the rest of the year.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6611/

-Aaron, News & Features Editor

Edited by CruiseCriticAaron
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

As of this afternoon, their Romantic Danube departure on the Viking Atla on December 5 has been modified with an extra day in Budapest, added day in Bratislava, and a scenic sailing day through Austria before reaching Passau and Regensburg so  it seems like they are trying to find a way to operate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, purrlinda said:

As of this afternoon, their Romantic Danube departure on the Viking Atla on December 5 has been modified with an extra day in Budapest, added day in Bratislava, and a scenic sailing day through Austria before reaching Passau and Regensburg so  it seems like they are trying to find a way to operate.

The same for their Grand European Tour. This is what they sent for our cruise that leaves 11/25. 

Date

Original Itinerary

Revised Itinerary

Day 10

Passau Passau

Day 11

Melk Scenic Sailing (Wachau)

Day 12

Vienna Bratislava

Day 13

Vienna Budapest

Day 14

Budapest Budapest

Day 15

Budapest (disembark) Budapest (disembark)

This and the fact that the Christmas Markets have been cancelled for all 5 stops in Bavaria has made us decide to cancel the cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

...Germany may follow.

Aaron, so far it´s only Bavaria and Saxonia. But Baden-Württemberg may follow too. Especially the North Western states of Germany aren´t hit that hard but on the map you can follow that the numbers are rising from the South East to the North West...

Yesterday 8 countys in Bavaria were over 1,000, today it´s 10 - which means the stricter lockdown with closed hotels and restaurants. So far Passau and Regensburg are still a "go" but Vilshofen is in the county of Passau which is above 1,000 and has to go into strict lockdown.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

17 hours ago, garlinn said:

The same for their Grand European Tour. This is what they sent for our cruise that leaves 11/25. 

Date

Original Itinerary

Revised Itinerary

Day 10

Passau Passau

Day 11

Melk Scenic Sailing (Wachau)

Day 12

Vienna Bratislava

Day 13

Vienna Budapest

Day 14

Budapest Budapest

Day 15

Budapest (disembark) Budapest (disembark)

This and the fact that the Christmas Markets have been cancelled for all 5 stops in Bavaria has made us decide to cancel the cruise.

Are they giving you the option of a refund if you cancelled due to the itinerary change?

2 minutes ago, purrlinda said:

Are they giving you the option of a refund if you cancelled due to the itinerary change?

Not yet, I am trying to get in touch with my Agent right now. Fortunately for us we booked last November and can cancel up to 24 hours before the cruise and get 100% FCC. I would prefer a refund but can live with the FCC. I have already cancelled my independent air reservations and hotel in Amsterdam.

@garlinn in view of the fact that the Rhine River and the Danube River are low and the situation on the Rhine and Main are uncertain as regards Christmas markets, it would be more sensible for Viking to call off the Grand European. I would say that for yourselves you have made the right decision. 15 days of eating, testing, visiting Christmas markets that are a regulated event with signs and barriers - when they are actually on - and not knowing if you will make it to Budapest on the ship you started in Amsterdam with, is not fun.

Quite frankly, at this point in time, if I was booked on a river cruise and flying from the US, I would cancel it and come over on a land trip to stay in a mountain self-catering place with food and drink. And do some shopping in small towns. If my health made such an option not possible, I would not come at all. Just my humble opinion.

notamermaid

• Like 4

Slovakia as well?! I am falling behind with the news. Sounds bad, here is one report: https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/24/slovakia-becomes-the-second-european-country-to-go-into-lockdown-as-covid-cases-surge

Two down, 25 in the EU to go. Question is, will we (Germany) be next?

Better to stay at home. That mountain hut in the Vosges mountains is getting more attractive by the day, though.

And Hungary? Another record in daily infections reported today by Reuters.

For the Danube, I fully agree with you purrlinda. Main downstream from Würzburg, Rhine and especially Moselle are better places to be. Perhaps for another week... But to be honest, at this point in time, I would prefer it if tourists from outside of Europe did not come at all. Any positive case adds to our count, anyone who needs medical attention takes the personnel away from the locals, be it river cruiser or mountaineer. Brutal but true, as much as it hurts me to say that.

notamermaid

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

For the Danube, I fully agree with you purrlinda. Main downstream from Würzburg, Rhine and especially Moselle are better places to be. Perhaps for another week... But to be honest, at this point in time, I would prefer it if tourists from outside of Europe did not come at all. Any positive case adds to our count, anyone who needs medical attention takes the personnel away from the locals, be it river cruiser or mountaineer. Brutal but true, as much as it hurts me to say that.

The cruise lines should step up and just cancel the season. It is best for everyone. I can't see why they are putting profits above well being of their crew and passengers. I am glad I don't have anything booked but do know some who do and wish the cruise lines would just cancel.

• Like 2

Which reminds me:

On 11/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Boarding the Atla in Regensburg on November 28.  Christmas Markets seem to be falling away, I wonder what the chance is Viking will cancel cruise entirely?

Is Viking still going to put you on a "no Christmas markets, sorry folks, Austria scenic sailing only, oops, skipping Bratislava, covid emergency in Hungary, disembark in Budapest, hope you have had a great time with Viking, no refund"-cruise? I hope not. It would be, quite frankly, ridiculous. Even though the service is great on the ships as many thousand past cruisers can attest.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We are still awaiting a decision by Tauck on our Brussels to Amsterdam cruise December 13-20. I’m hoping they cancel rather than making us make the call. With a fully paid trip,I’d rather have my money refunded and all their CM trips for 2022 are booked except the week of Christmas. If we cancel we have to take a FCC…so disappointed as we’ve had this booked since January 2019…

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tfred said:

I think that Crystal canceled all remaining cruises - smart move as there isn't "enough" to see with VIE out of the game.  

Better to cancel what you have and do it next year

I believe Crystal's Rhine cruises are still a go.

A friend is leaving to go on a Viking Rhine this weekend.

Edited by Coral

As far as I know river cruises on the Rhine are still on. The river is busy-ish, German and international ships. As long as there are still guided tours and castle visits allowed and there is barely enough rather than not enough water at Kaub, I think they will run. I would not bet on any river cruise line giving up that business "just" because the Covid infection rate is high.

notamermaid

I see that the Viking Vali left Amsterdam, probably as scheduled, and has passed through the Rhine Gorge today. My opinion has not changed, I think it would have been better to not let this cruise go ahead. @garlinn decided to cancel, which leaves another poster. @Glammee if you are on board, have a splendid time. I hope you can enjoy the remaining stops and Christmas markets to the full, as well as the great service on the ship. You are sailing towards snow... ❄️:classic_smile:🎄

notamermaid