Do Airlines Typically Have Black Friday Sales?

trixiee

46 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Well, I can see you're from Ontario so I'm assuming you are looking for Canadian airlines....AC has Black Friday sales on until November 28, and I see that Westjet does as well.

L.

I'm looking for AC and no difference in their pricing during this "sale" than I have been seeing for a month.

10 hours ago, trixiee said:

I should have booked my flights 3 days ago.  They've gone up $400!!

All the more reason to book when you believe the fare is fair and worth it to you...

As in 'strike while the iron is hot...'

bon voyage

There are rarely defined "sale" periods.  In addition, remember that unlike typical retail sales, any kind of airline price reductions are governed by both time of sale AND time of use.  Along with being applicable to your desired city-pair.

"Waiting for a sale" is a fool's errand.  There is little likelihood that you will get a sale period, and that it will cover the flights you want.  Hope is not a strategy.

I should have been a bit more clear.  I got cruise quote and a flight ease quote, and put a 24 hour courtesy hold on my cabin fare.  I don't think they can hold the flight ease fare for 24 hours? Anyway, the following day when I secured my cruise, the airline prices jumped by $400.00.  The flight price is TWICE as much as what I paid for my cruise.  I was not on a "fool's errand", but more gobsmacked by the price increase.  Nevertheless, there are several flight options available, and I will wait until I see a price that I can swallow, or am forced to pull the trigger because the options are filling up.  

I only asked a question, and your commentary on what you thought was me being foolish is not appreciated.

Have a fantastic day!

Sorry that you didn't understand that "fool's errand" is an expression in the English language that means a task that is almost certain to fail.  You can look it up to confirm.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fool-s-errand

Further, the price of your air transportation has ZERO relevance to the cost of your cruise.  They are two separate and distinct items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, trixiee said:

The flight price is TWICE as much as what I paid for my cruise. 

Posters on here frequently talk about how much their flight was compared to their cruise, but they're really not fair to compare as they operate on completely different economic models. For example, when you book a flight, the airline is rarely going to make another dollar off of you beyond the fare. Some may for things like seat selection, bags, or drinks/meals, but many do not (and even those that do offer those things rarely require it...for example, you can fly Spirit without paying a bag fee if you pack small enough).

On the other hand, a cruise line makes only a portion (and often a small portion) off of the fare. They are almost certain to make money off of excursions, drinks, specialty meals, gambling, photos, shopping, and other things. I imagine the percentage of people who get on a cruise ship and don't spend any money beyond the fare is very, very small. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1