Culinary Arts Class

boblerm

I took one of the demonstration classes on Explorer on the cruise concluded yesterday. It was exceptionally well-done. While I missed the hands-on element, Chef Linda really brought it to life and gave a lot of background on the origins of modern-day Mediterranean cooking that came as a surprise to me. And we did get to taste the dishes she demo'd, including a cocktail. An Alberino and a sparkling wine also were poured in the course of the program.

The way I understood the explanation, Florida law generally prohibits food service entities from allowing customers to handle and prep food that they will eat. In the past, however, Regent and Oceania had received special permission to conduct their classes, in large part because of how the classes are structured. You don't handle the original food source--all ingredients are chopped and measured for you, and you are just performing the mixing and cooking portions. And of course the eating of your own product. Knife skills are just the opposite--you handle the food source and do the cutting, but don't eat the product.

Anyway, in the covid environment, Regent could not get the special dispensation. Hence, the demo.

This situation is why there is no online sign-up for these. You need to talk to either Destination Services or Chef Linda. She's usually in her office in the corner of the Culinary Arts Kitchen. Knock on the window on the pool deck side of the kitchen to get her attention. Or go to the open house on embarkation day.

There is no charge for the demo sessions (at least right now).

Edited by wishIweretravelling
  • Like 3

We are on the Explorer cruise departing Miami on 20 December.  We could sign up online for the Culinary Arts Classes the same day as we could chose our excursions.  We were initially charged for the two courses from our OBC, but it was later changed to no-cost.  It appears we now know why!  I will make a note to confirm our registration when we embark.

23 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Wow, didn't know that about Florida rules (I presume they are newish.)  "Back in the Day", we did two Cordon Bleu full-up courses, and they were very much hands on, we cut up everything, cooked it, and ate it.  Oh well.

I expect a cooking school has a whole different licensing scheme than a ship that provides food service.

I just did three classes on the Splendor.  In all cases I signed up in advance with my TA.  Initially it was going to be very difficult because of covid, e.g. they wanted half the number of guests and each at their own station.  Now they allow one person at each of the 18 stations.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

24 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

I just did three classes on the Splendor.  In all cases I signed up in advance with my TA.  Initially it was going to be very difficult because of covid, e.g. they wanted half the number of guests and each at their own station.  Now they allow one person at each of the 18 stations.

Still demo only? 

Were you charged? 

What did you think of the classes? 

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This was on a Regent (or Radisson) ship.

Interesting. I think Florida has had these rules for a while. I'm not sure what the nexus is that gives Florida jurisdiction over Explorer for health and sanitation. Our sailing originated in Miami, so that may have been it. Or it may be that Regent's US HQ is now in Florida. Before it was owned by NCLH, I think it was headquartered in Omaha. So it might be that. 

On 11/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

Interesting. I think Florida has had these rules for a while. I'm not sure what the nexus is that gives Florida jurisdiction over Explorer for health and sanitation. Our sailing originated in Miami, so that may have been it. Or it may be that Regent's US HQ is now in Florida. Before it was owned by NCLH, I think it was headquartered in Omaha. So it might be that. 

Well, the first CB course we took was in Europe, on Voyager, while the company was still Radisson.  The second one was on Voyager as well,  Rio to Miami I believe, and it was probably Regent by then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, seniormom said:

Bumping this post to see if anyone has a recent update .....we sail in a week and are still hoping to be able to experience the classes!

Still demonstration - just verified with a friend onboard...but they hope to get them open soon. My guess is when the mask policy changes.

43 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Still demonstration - just verified with a friend onboard...but they hope to get them open soon. My guess is when the mask policy changes.

Thanks for the info.  I was hopeful, but not expecting....  We will already be onboard when the mask change takes place, so maybe we'll get to experience it the back half of the cruise!

4 hours ago, seniormom said:

Thanks for the info.  I was hopeful, but not expecting....  We will already be onboard when the mask change takes place, so maybe we'll get to experience it the back half of the cruise!

Hope so, they really are fun and enjoyable.

• Like 1

We are on the Splendor now and have taken 2 demonstration only classes. Chef Kelly is absolutely fabulous and so knowledgeable. Her background is remarkable and my husband and I are learning a lot. She brings samples close to you and lets you smell. Answers all questions and imparts many personal experiences. Have 2 classes left and looking forward

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sassyw said:

We are on the Splendor now and have taken 2 demonstration only classes. Chef Kelly is absolutely fabulous and so knowledgeable. Her background is remarkable and my husband and I are learning a lot. She brings samples close to you and lets you smell. Answers all questions and imparts many personal experiences. Have 2 classes left and looking forward

Thanks for sharing this info.  We definitely plan to still go to them, even if only demonstrations.