HAL cruisers: Should I come back?

CruiseRQA

19 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately the small ships don’t make money.  If they did they’d still be in the fleet. Have you actually been on the newer ships? I find some that don’t like them have never been on them.  I’ve had been on most of the old ships and the newer ships for me are light years better.

been on the newer ships - don't like them as well but I love HAL and will continue on her unless her ships get Huge

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately the small ships don’t make money.  If they did they’d still be in the fleet. Have you actually been on the newer ships? I find some that don’t like them have never been on them.  I’ve had been on most of the old ships and the newer ships for me are light years better.

They are better for you, I understand.  However, one major reason why many of us prefer the older, smaller ships, particularly for long voyages, is that they can get into ports that even the Vista class cannot.  We are booked on the 2024 WC, which is on the Zuiderdam.  I don't think I am alone in my disappointment that the Amsterdam, which did the WC's and the Grand Asia, is no longer a HAL ship.  It means that the Zuiderdam will not be able to dock, for example, in Shanghai's downtown port.  The loss of the beautiful light show surrounding the downtown port is a real loss.  Further, as another poster on that forum pointed out, the cabins and storage space on the R class ships were larger than on the Vista class. 

Larger, newer and shinier do not always translate to better in everyone's eyes. We and many others prefer the "older than dirt" ships for a variety of reasons, most of which has to do with its size and number of passengers.

• Like 7

On 11/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, Hlitner said:

There is nothing "negative" about citing facts such as no production shows, add-ons in the MDR, slots in the Ocean Bar, etc. 

"Facts" are uncomfortable "truths" for many.  Particularly during this part of the 21st Century.  

I have sailed on Nieuw Statendam, one of the largest Class of HAL's ships.  I have sailed on my largest ship to date:  MSC Meraviglia.  The size of the ship makes little difference for me.  

Did I get to all of the venues on a 7 day cruise on Meraviglia?  No.  Did I get to all of the venues on Nieuw Statendam during a 10/11 day cruise?  No.  Did I find myself visiting the same general regions of the vessel on a daily basis?  Yes.  (That's one reason as to why I am picky about where my stateroom is located.)  

What makes a difference to me is the cruise experience that I have on whatever sized ship on which I sail.  

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The new ones ARE huge.  Just because they now maker even huger ones doesn't change that.

😦

The new HAL ships are still under in the mid 2000 range.  That is not huge for the mass market lines. Even HAL's new ships are in the medium size range.  Even the new ships from Virgin Cruises are slightly larger.

Edited by nocl

34 minutes ago, nocl said:

The new HAL ships are still under in the mid 2000 range.  That is not huge for the mass market lines. Even HAL's new ships are in the medium size range.  Even the new ships from Virgin Cruises are slightly larger.

I suppose it depends on your perspective. But there are some on the HAL boards who have protested each increase in size since the Vista-class ships were first launched.

I've been cruising since the early 1970s and I maintain a strong preference for small ships vs large ones. My family started out cruising on Sitmar line, with ships of about 22,000 tons. I suppose to me that is still an ideal size.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suppose it depends on your perspective. But there are some on the HAL boards who have protested each increase in size since the Vista-class ships were first launched.

What don’t some people protest about?  That doesn’t mean the ships are huge. 

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What don’t some people protest about?  That doesn’t mean the ships are huge. 

Absolute size doesn't change. Only relative size. 

Relative to other, larger ships you may not consider them huge. But when Royal Caribbean launched the 74,000-ton first "mega ship" (the term was coined at the time) back in 1988,  it was universally felt to be "huge".  Just because "huger" ships have been built since then doesn't change the fact that it is "huge".

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Absolute size doesn't change. Only relative size. 

Relative to other, larger ships you may not consider them huge. But when Royal Caribbean launched the 74,000-ton first "mega ship" (the term was coined at the time) back in 1988,  it was universally felt to be "huge".  Just because "huger" ships have been built since then doesn't change the fact that it is "huge".

Well as far as new  ships smaller that HALS builds go other than the Viking ships at 930, the only ones on order are Saga 1000, Tui 2500, Crystal 1000 and Oceania at 1200.  Not a large number and most certainly at a higher price point that HAL.  TUI seems to be the only one in the same ball park and there new ship size is about the same as HAL.

50 minutes ago, nocl said:

Well as far as new  ships smaller that HALS builds go other than the Viking ships at 930, the only ones on order are Saga 1000, Tui 2500, Crystal 1000 and Oceania at 1200.  Not a large number and most certainly at a higher price point that HAL.  TUI seems to be the only one in the same ball park and there new ship size is about the same as HAL.

Which brings us back to the original point about the "older than dirt" small ships. Another company (Fred. Olsen, Phoenix Reissen) generally seems happy to take some of HAL's older ships and repurpose them. They are a good size for those who still cruise to "go places".  I have been looking at Fred. Olsen and likely will book with them as soon as COVID is in the rear window and things are closer to normal.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Which brings us back to the original point about the "older than dirt" small ships. Another company (Fred. Olsen, Phoenix Reissen) generally seems happy to take some of HAL's older ships and repurpose them. They are a good size for those who still cruise to "go places".  I have been looking at Fred. Olsen and likely will book with them as soon as COVID is in the rear window and things are closer to normal.

I have an interest in “meeting” Fred, too.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Enjoy.  I tried Fred Olsen once.  Never again.  I found it might be small ships, but the experience was not up to par. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nocl said:

Enjoy.  I tried Fred Olsen once.  Never again.  I found it might be small ships, but the experience was not up to par. 

I have been quite vocal about my dislike of the “huge” boats HAL has been building.  For Mrs Banjo and myself, the S class ships were always our favorite, (after the Prinsendam left the fleet).  I continue to, mostly read the HAL boards because of our love for the line and our 4 star Mariner status, but unfortunately when COVID is in the rear view mirror, we will be cruising with Viking or Oceania and we are not very happy to say it either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I have been quite vocal about my dislike of the “huge” boats HAL has been building.  For Mrs Banjo and myself, the S class ships were always our favorite, (after the Prinsendam left the fleet).  I continue to, mostly read the HAL boards because of our love for the line and our 4 star Mariner status, but unfortunately when COVID is in the rear view mirror, we will be cruising with Viking or Oceania and we are not very happy to say it either.

interesting that you would cruise on a line you don't really like??

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

i fear you will not be cruising soon - c..vid in the rear window -  no time soon if the powers that be have their way.  already deviant #2

31 minutes ago, esimon said:

i fear you will not be cruising soon - c..vid in the rear window -  no time soon if the powers that be have their way.  already deviant #2

C'ést la vie (or c'est la guerre?). I keep making plans; that's all I can do. If travel is canceled or too uncertain I just kick the can forward. Unlike some I am still working and not aged to the point where waiting a few years to continue traveling will have a big impact on my life overall, although it is certainly not making me too happy "in the moment"....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Since I'm collecting data on them -- which ship?  when did you sail?  And what wasn't up to par?

Balmoral.   I found that the food and the over all experience was not up to par.  Part of it is hard to describe kind of like you know when you like something as well as when you don't.  The funny thing is that I had sailed on the same ship back when the ship was the Norwegian Crown for a business conference back in the 90's.  Liked the 90's experience much better.

Also the ship felt crowded.  Unusual for a small ship.  Compared to their other ships it has 1325 passengers at 44,000GT, compared to their other ships such as the Borealis which is 61,000GT and carries 1360 passengers.

Edited by nocl

On 11/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Completely agree.  Dear Dad loves the newer ships.  I am fine with either one.   

OP: no matter how disappointed we are with a HAL cruise (I won't get started on our Alaska trip a couple months ago); we can't seem to pull ourselves away, maybe we'll have to start wearing lampshades over our heads.  

• Like 2

I had to read through this thread to make any sense of the original post.  Since I never question my ability to enjoy whatever travel mode I choose, and never pick it apart afterwards, I think that if you need to ask the original question, perhaps you'd be happier elsewhere.  Each to his own.  We go back and forth between HAL and NCL and enjoy what is offered.  My husband reminds me that we would be 5 star on HAL if we stuck with them, but I don't think the perks are that much better than 4 star.   Enjoy whatever you choose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I had to read through this thread to make any sense of the original post.  Since I never question my ability to enjoy whatever travel mode I choose, and never pick it apart afterwards, I think that if you need to ask the original question, perhaps you'd be happier elsewhere.  Each to his own.  We go back and forth between HAL and NCL and enjoy what is offered.  My husband reminds me that we would be 5 star on HAL if we stuck with them, but I don't think the perks are that much better than 4 star.   Enjoy whatever you choose.

So true.  I also think that a lot of people have preconceived notions of what a trip, a cruise line, or a ship will be like without ever doing any research.  Depending on hearsay alone.

We had two very good trips on Carnival.  It was not what had been described to us on many CC forums.  Quite the opposite.  But we did the research on ship and date.  Service, food, etc were all very good compared to our previous cruises on Princess, HAL, etc.

My spouse was not the least bit enthusiastic about going to Thailand.  I think she only said yes because it was cold where we were, it was warm in Thailand,  I wanted to go, and an air offer popped up on my screen.   We went back for four more extended snowbird trips after that...she loved it.   We just wish we were going back this winter.

• Like 2

Just returned from my Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam.  Thoroughly enjoyed it!  As I stated previously, I believe, my late DH and I had 51 cruises on Princess and less than a dozen on HAL.  The service was wonderful, liked the Lincoln Stage venue and they did do some shows in the theater.  My next cruise (Jan) is on the Nieuw Amsterdam and I look forward to getting away from winter in Michigan for a short bit in another part of the Caribbean <g>.

• Like 2