Travelling from UK, had covid within 90 days of travel

Topdog1

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Recommend antigen test for Celebrity.  PCR may pick up traces of long dead COVID DNA.  Antigen won't find protein traces for nearly as long post-infection.

This. If you're asymptomatic and 10+ days out from infection you need to get an antigen test. I've known people who have tested positive on PCR long after they've recovered. These people are not infectious and not a danger to anyone. It's simply the science behind how the tests work.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Topdog1 said:

Thanks Harris, I am fully vaccinated, including the booster. I have literally just had Covid and am booked to travel on 1st January. As you say I’ll be able to fly to the US on the doctors letter but there will be no guarantee that I’ll test negative for Celebrity 😫

If I were in your situation I would read the link below and order a (UK Home Test).   Having a test now will at least calm your nerves and give yo a bit of hope that you will be able to go on the cruises.   I guess I would also order a second test to be performed about 10 days prior to flying to the U.S.  

In the U.S. we have self administered  home Covid tests (non-proctored) that are available at most drug stores and take 15 minutes to have your results.    You will also need to make your plans to have your Official Test no more than 2 days prior to sail day.  

In the event you are showing Positive and don't want to chance flying to the U.S. only to fail if tested here you might consider the Cruise with Confidence Policy (if it also applies to U.K. Passengers} and reschedule you cruise.

https://www.medexpress.co.uk/testing/covid19/coronavirus-covid19-antibody-test?showProducts=false

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Not sure what you searched but I assume (?) that you tested negative at some point after your recent bout with COVID and confirmed that you were over it by a negative RT-PCR or antigen test.  So why would you test positive by that same test unless you get infected again between now and January when you board your cruise?  Hopefully you will be OK to cruise with no issues.

Ahhh @TeeRick ... I miss the scientific-covid threads from 2020. Your posts were so helpful...  Maybe with Omicron on the horizon, CruiseCritic will allow more scientific discussions again?

11 hours ago, Topdog1 said:

Hello, I’ve just had Covid and we are cruising in January. I’ve been told by my travel agent that I will need to provide a negative covid test but a Google search has said I may still test positive and most places accept proof of immunity. Has anyone had experience of this please?

Way to close for comfort IMHO.

8 hours ago, Topdog1 said:

I’ll phone Celebrity tomorrow and see what they say. 

I’ll let you know

Take a NHS LFT test now. 

What does it show? 

if it shows negative, then you ought to be fine both for a supervised LFT to enter the USA and one to board the ship. 

If you arrive in the USA the day before the cruise, then if you time the two tests, the one test ought to be fine for both the flight and Celebrity. 

Celebrity will not accept the letter, so you will need to be tested anyway. 

If you had covid more than a month ago, I doubt the LFT would pick it up anyway. 

Not too sure what you expect Celebrity to say.  Those are the rules.

16 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Take a NHS LFT test now. 

What does it show? 

if it shows negative, then you ought to be fine both for a supervised LFT to enter the USA and one to board the ship. 

If you arrive in the USA the day before the cruise, then if you time the two tests, the one test ought to be fine for both the flight and Celebrity. 

Celebrity will not accept the letter, so you will need to be tested anyway. 

If you had covid more than a month ago, I doubt the LFT would pick it up anyway. 

Not too sure what you expect Celebrity to say.  Those are the rules.

Thanks very much, I haven’t taken a LTF yet but will do so. 

Is it that Celebrity need to be more strict being a cruise line, I find it odd that people can fly and the letter be accepted but can’t cruise?

1 hour ago, Topdog1 said:

Thanks very much, I haven’t taken a LTF yet but will do so. 

Is it that Celebrity need to be more strict being a cruise line, I find it odd that people can fly and the letter be accepted but can’t cruise?

Can you take a rapid antigen test at the (UK) airport for the cruise.

We plan to do that...firstly for ease but secondly, if you did test positive, you will know before boarding the plane.

We are travelling on the 28th Jan for a 30th Jan sailing from Heathrow T3. We hope to take the antigen test at 7am. Results are within 40 mins and our flight is at 10.40, so we will wait for the results before checking in.

Good luck but I'm sure you will be fine with the antigen test results coming back negative.

Taken a lateral flow test and it is negative. 

So far the Celebrity website still says only an antigen test is required but obviously that could change any time. 

I’m covered under the 48 hour rule so all I can do is wait and see (although not sure about flights that were booked as a package through Celebrity at the same time as the cruise ?)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, markeb said:

Rick, the clinical protocols generally don’t retest symptomatic individuals. The retests are mostly for asymptomatic. The CDC does not recommend retesting for 90 days. The test may well be positive, and there doesn’t appear to be consensus on interpretation. 

While canderson is probably correct on the science, I think the recommendation is not to test during that 90 day period regardless of technology. 

Mark understood. It is not easy to address this here with the no science rules,  so I won't even try.   As for my post, I was not sure when the OP had COVID but they said recently so maybe within 90 days.  Anyway I agree they should be OK taking an at-home antigen test just to see where they are with this. Not sure about the 72 hour travel  RT-PCR test as @candersonpoints out.  Best to know before traveling from the UK if I had to do it. 

Edited by TeeRick

10 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Ahhh @TeeRick ... I miss the scientific-covid threads from 2020. Your posts were so helpful...  Maybe with Omicron on the horizon, CruiseCritic will allow more scientific discussions again?

Thanks Shadows but no need to worry my friend @LGW59about this.  The mods here will no longer allow more scientific discussions outside of some cruise-related topics like this thread.  Even then it is dicey as to whether it will be shut down or posts pulled.   But there is now at least a "sticky thread" at the top of these boards on testing.  I am slowly learning to just keep quiet on most of this.  That will make a lot of people happy!😀

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Checked with a travel agent friend you need a Negative PCR test to cruise on Celebrity

Politely suggesting your TA friend should check X's site for the correct info!!!?

For sailings through December 31, 2021, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

Edited by little britain

10 minutes ago, little britain said:

Politely suggesting your TA friend should check X's site for the correct info!!!?

For sailings through December 31, 2021, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

First of all the OP is cruising after 31st Dec 2021 which you have quoted. I was stating what she told me and when I checked she thought I was referring to UK cruising!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

First of all the OP is cruising after 31st Dec 2021 which you have quoted. I was stating what she told me and when I checked she thought I was referring to UK cruising!!

No info on X site for after 13/12 but as CDC orders expire 15/1 assume it will remain the same until at least that date.  I'm sailing 22/1 so watching like a hawk! 

Errr - there aren't any ex UK Celebrity sailings at the mo are there??!