CBP Introduces Remote Interview Pilot for Nexus Applications

hancogran

Remote Interviews for NEXUS Renewals

Well this is interesting!Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Back in July, my husband renewed his NEXUS online but his account on the TTP DashboardĀ  still shows "wait for conditional approval" so I doubt he'd be able to use the Zoom interview process right now.Ā  We were actually hoping we wouldn't need an interview for this renewal.Ā  His card doesn't expire until January 2022 and with the current extensions they are giving, we'll just wait it out.Ā šŸ™„

Edited by hancogran
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, hancogran said:

Remote Interviews for NEXUS Renewals

Well this is interesting!Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Back in July, my husband renewed his NEXUS online but his account on the TTP DashboardĀ  still shows "wait for conditional approval" so I doubt he'd be able to use the Zoom interview process right now.Ā  We were actually hoping we wouldn't need an interview for this renewal.Ā  His card doesn't expire until January 2022 and with the current extensions they are giving, we'll just wait it out.Ā šŸ™„

Thanks for the heads up, this is potentiallyĀ  very useful. My card expired in August 2020, though I have a conditional approval dated April 2020. Per the current rule I have the 24 months "extension" which means I can wait this out a few more months and use the temporary extension in the hope that in-person interviews resume. I have no real interest in learning how to set up and run a Zoom meeting, and I know my expired but conditionally renewed card is still valid as I used it just last week at YUL.

• Like 1

This pilot project was announced at the beginning of June, at a time when the land border was closed for non-essential travel and in-person interviews were suspended in both Canada and the US. With the re-opening of the US interview centres effective today, I wonder whether this pilot program for remote interviews will continue. When the CBP announced the re-opening of the interview centres, it made no mention at all of the remote interview pilot.Ā https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers-re-open-november-29

Ā 

I receive regular NEXUS updates from CBSA, and I don't recall having seen any mention of this program being made available to Canadians. As a pilot project, it's possible that the CBP is/was testing it on US members only.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

This pilot project was announced at the beginning of June, at a time when the land border was closed for non-essential travel and in-person interviews were suspended in both Canada and the US. With the re-opening of the US interview centres effective today, I wonder whether this pilot program for remote interviews will continue. When the CBP announced the re-opening of the interview centres, it made no mention at all of the remote interview pilot.Ā https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers-re-open-november-29

Ā 

I receive regular NEXUS updates from CBSA, and I don't recall having seen any mention of this program being made available to Canadians. As a pilot project, it's possible that the CBP is/was testing it on US members only.

You're probably right.Ā  Ā The date on the article is June 2021 but, for whatever reason, I just got it in my newsfeed today.Ā  Ā (Likely because I have been checking the TTP/Nexus site regularly to see the current status of DH's renewal).Ā  Ā 

Ā 

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a "Zoom" interview for something like this.Ā Off to sign up forĀ Nexus updates from CBSA.Ā šŸ‘

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Ā 

Does anyone have any sense on when CBSA will resume NEXUS interviews?Ā  I took a new position in June which requires extensive travel in Canada and the US.Ā  I have never really needed NEXUS before but believe I will now.Ā  Of course you don't know what you missing if have never had it šŸ™‚

Ā 

27 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Does anyone have any sense on when CBSA will resume NEXUS interviews?Ā  I took a new position in June which requires extensive travel in Canada and the US.Ā  I have never really needed NEXUS before but believe I will now.Ā  Of course you don't know what you missing if have never had it šŸ™‚

Ā 

I am also waiting.Ā  I put off getting one years ago.Ā  After our last trip through Toronto airport in September, I decided it was time.Ā  I did not realize at the time that interviews were suspended.Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I am also waiting.Ā  I put off getting one years ago.Ā  After our last trip through Toronto airport in September, I decided it was time.Ā  I did not realize at the time that interviews were suspended.Ā Ā 

In reading further I believe I could interview with American Border Security.Ā  I am about 90 minutes from Fort Erie and now that you don't need a test to return to Canada if less than 72 hours this might be my plan.

8 minutes ago, truckswain said:

In reading further I believe I could interview with American Border Security.Ā  I am about 90 minutes from Fort Erie and now that you don't need a test to return to Canada if less than 72 hours this might be my plan.

Definitely.Ā  I joked with my husband about driving to the border but it's about a 10 hour drive so that's not an option at the moment.Ā 

• Like 1

Itā€™s hard to imagine the enrollment centres only being open on the US side since you need approval from the Canadian side also. Ā The Buffalo-Fort Erie Enrollment Centre houses both the CBSA and CBP Officers, for example. Does that mean only one side is in there working? Ā šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøĀ I couldnā€™t renew my new passport info online; it requires a visit to an Enrollment Centreā€¦ but they were closed at the time. I asked the officer at the land border kiosk and he couldnā€™t offer a solution. I said I guess Iā€™ll just come back on the 29th and he said that sounds like a plan. Was hoping I could go inside (secondary) like I did at Queenston when my new greencard was renewed. No such luck. Iā€™m going to give them a call.Ā 

11 minutes ago, truckswain said:

The Buffalo-Fort Erie Enrollment Centre is on the Canadian side. You need to interview with both the CBP and CBSA officers.

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The Buffalo-Fort Erie Enrollment Centre is on the Canadian side. You need to interview with both the CBP and CBSA officers.

Thanks.Ā  I had assumed there was a corresponding Enrollment Centre on the US side to interview with US Border Patrol.

Ā 

The office in Niagara Falls NY next earliest appointment is June 2022.Ā  I guess I wait until they dedice to open the Canadian Enrollment Centres.Ā Ā 

20 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Thanks.Ā  I had assumed there was a corresponding Enrollment Centre on the US side to interview with US Border Patrol.

Ā 

I think I may have been unclear. Both interviews are held in the same building on the Canadian side. You do not have to cross the border to interview with US CBP.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, truckswain said:

Ā 

The latest email update from CBSA, dated November 16, had the following information:

Ā 

NEXUSĀ andĀ FASTĀ interviews will resume at enrolment centres in the United States (US) on November 29, 2021. Applicants wishing to schedule interviews can now do so at their nearest US enrolment centre through theĀ Trusted Traveller ProgramsĀ system.Ā NEXUSĀ and FAST enrolment centres in Canada continue to be closed.

Ā 

ExistingĀ NEXUSĀ and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will retain membership privileges until they can complete their interview. Please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges.

Ā 

So, no indication of when the Canadian centres will open. As a new applicant, you can go ahead and book that June 22 appointment in the US, or you can wait until things are up and running here. Of course, by time that happens, you might be even longer before getting an appointment. You might want to consider booking the June appointment, and if something earlier opens up in Canada, rebook.

Ā 

• Like 1

AFAIK, you certainly do need a test done within the last 72 hours. I assume you meant to say "...another test..."? The recent change downgraded the test from PCR to a cheaper Antigen test, and you can do it in Canada before the short trip, but if you arrive at a Canadian border crossing with no test, you would have problems.

• Like 1

Ā 

AFAIK, there's a NEXUS enrollment center on the Canadian side as well, in Fort Erie.Ā 

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

AFAIK, you certainly do need a test done within the last 72 hours. I assume you meant to say "...another test..."? The recent change downgraded the test from PCR to a cheaper Antigen test, and you can do it in Canada before the short trip, but if you arrive at a Canadian border crossing with no test, you would have problems.

Ā 

I don't believe this is accurate. In particular I believe Canada still requires a molecular (PCR) test for entry when a test is required. Short duration (ā‰¤72 hrs) trips do not require a test to re-enter the country.

Ā 

CAN rules are outlined atĀ https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada.

Ā 

US rules are outlined atĀ https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/. FAQ atĀ https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US.

Ā 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Ā 

I don't believe this is accurate. In particular I believe Canada still requires a molecular (PCR) test for entry when a test is required. Short duration (ā‰¤72 hrs) trips do not require a test to re-enter the country.

Ā 

CAN rules are outlined atĀ https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada.

Ā 

US rules are outlined atĀ https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/. FAQ atĀ https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US.

Ā 

Correct. Starting tomorrow, if you are fully vaccinated, you can re-enter Canada after a trip of 72 hours or less without providing a negative test result of any kind.

Ā 

18 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Ā 

AFAIK, there's a NEXUS enrollment center on the Canadian side as well, in Fort Erie.Ā 

Unfortunately for new applicants, all Canadian enrolment centres remain closed for the time being, even though the US centres reopened today.Ā 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Correct. Starting tomorrow, if you are fully vaccinated, you can re-enter Canada after a trip of 72 hours or less without providing a negative test result of any kind.

Ā 

Unfortunately for new applicants, all Canadian enrolment centres remain closed for the time being, even though the US centres reopened today.Ā 

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my intel is a bit out of date, I wasn't aware it had been lifted completely. That's what I get for being on a cruise ship for a weekĀ  ;o)

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my intel is a bit out of date, I wasn't aware it had been lifted completely. That's what I get for being on a cruise ship for a weekĀ  ;o)

Oh sure, rub it in for those of us still waiting to walk a deck again!Ā šŸ˜‡

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Oh sure, rub it in for those of us still waiting to walk a deck again!Ā šŸ˜‡

Yup, being on a half full ship sure is nice and peaceful šŸ˜Ā  Hopefully it doesn't last and the industry is back to normal soon though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

No. As long as you are fully vaccinated, you don't need a test to drive to the US; if you fly you need an Antigen test. If you return to Canada in less than 72 hours (to border crossing if driving, to departure time of whatever leg of your trip departs the US and arrives in Canada) you do NOT need a test at all, unless you are selected for random testing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

No. As long as you are fully vaccinated, you don't need a test to drive to the US; if you fly you need an Antigen test. If you return to Canada in less than 72 hours (to border crossing if driving, to departure time of whatever leg of your trip departs the US and arrives in Canada) you do NOT need a test at all, unless you are selected for random testing.

Thanks, yes, it's already been repeatedly pointed out that my information is outdated. The rules had changed while I was out of country. When I left, an Antigen test WAS required, but that requirement has gone away.

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks, yes, it's already been repeatedly pointed out that my information is outdated. The rules had changed while I was out of country. When I left, an Antigen test WAS required, but that requirement has gone away.

Who knows, with the new variant your information may be current soon enough.Ā šŸ˜†