Help...Still not ready to cruise yet.

Waverunner1

😷 My wife and I have been cruising NCL since 2002. Our last cruise was a 14-Day Southern Caribbean From Boston in Oct/Nov 2019 out of Boston, just before covid-19 went viral, literally. We're now left hesitant to cruise, and reading about how refunds, future cruise credits, rising prices, pre-cruise testing, testing positive during a cruise, etc. are being handled doesn't help. So what are your positive experiences since covid-19 that make you feel safe to return to cruising? Conversely, what has kept you hesitant to step back onboard? We're just trying to make sense of it all in these unprecedented times. 

I feel absolutely safe. I can be infected at work as easy as on a cruise so as long as I can work I can also cruise.

As long as masks are required, or may be required with short notice, I won't cruise because I won't enjoy that experience. I can wait.

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 2

We cruised in October. Felt safe enough to travel and cruise.My partner was a bit anxious but that went away once we got on board and she was sunbathing enjoying life 

It all comes down to personal choice. I know some friends and colleagues asked why we cruised and that they won't. Preferring to stay in Scotland and do staycations instead.

The way I look at it, who knows what will happen in the future. You need to do your own risk assessment and consider whether it's worth taking. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Waverunner1 said:

So what are your positive experiences since covid-19 that make you feel safe to return to cruising?

As a generally healthy person without any pre-existing conditions, tripled vaccinated, and living in an area with high vaccination coverage....my experience may not be shared by all, but I have no qualms about going on a cruise.  I consider a cruise on NCL way safer than the bars and restaurants I continued to enjoy through these months.  Even more so for this specific Bermuda cruise.  It's rather stringent as we need to get tested 3 times: within 96 hours of embarkation, again at the pier, and then on the ship prior to arriving in Bermuda.  Sheesh!  There may be no safer place to vacation and have fun with others...

• Like 1

26 days to go so I will come back here after but I am more scared of the Norovirus. The transmission rate is 12% based on US population, the survival rate if  infected is 99.9% vaxxed or not vaxxed based on the CDC Statistics posted daily for US residents. You have to make the decision that is right for you based on facts and protocols. The only reason we haven't already cruised is due to a career change in July.

My husband and I sailed on the first sailing of the Jade in Greece this past July and I felt very safe. I think some of the restrictions have relaxed but when we sailed a staff member served you in the buffet and also made sure everyone washed their hands before entering. Masks were only required in public places where you could not social distance and when off the ship Greece required them. I believe with all the hand washing and everyone just having a heightened awareness of not spreading any kind of germs not just covid, it was safer than it has ever been to cruise. We have 2 more booked for 2022.

I’ve sailed to Alaska in Dec, and MR earlier this month. With the ships being 100% vaccinated and a negative test prior to boarding, I feel safer on a ship than going to the grocery store. But everyone has their own comfort level. 

3 hours ago, Waverunner1 said:

😷 My wife and I have been cruising NCL since 2002. Our last cruise was a 14-Day Southern Caribbean From Boston in Oct/Nov 2019 out of Boston, just before covid-19 went viral, literally. We're now left hesitant to cruise, and reading about how refunds, future cruise credits, rising prices, pre-cruise testing, testing positive during a cruise, etc. are being handled doesn't help. So what are your positive experiences since covid-19 that make you feel safe to return to cruising? Conversely, what has kept you hesitant to step back onboard? We're just trying to make sense of it all in these unprecedented times. 

We have done multiple land vacations and three cruise vacations and feel a lot safer on the ship than land. Even here at home, we just went to a Holiday Concert with hundreds of others packed in a theater.... we would definitely feel a lot safer on a ship where everyone is tested before embarkation. 

• Like 1

I have been on 3 cruises since September 4th...Alaska, Jade in Greece (with four days afterwards in Italy) and Mexican Riviera last week.  I feel perfectly safe on an NCL cruise.  With the low capacity rate right now, I don't believe there is a better time to cruise.  We did wear masks in Greece, per their law, but it wasn't so bad.  I have been wearing a mask at work for the past 20 months and still wear one when out shopping or when I am around people I know for fact are not vaccinated.

That being said, I went back to work yesterday after my cruise and 4 co-workers were out sick with covid, all caught from their school age kids.  All were vaxxed, 3 were mild cases, one was very sick (but is very obese).

You have to do what you are comfortable doing.  I have a friend who used to cruise every month, sometimes 2 and 3 weeks at a time.  He is terrified to go on a ship.  But he has flown several times and is much more comfortable than I am on a plane.  Don't understand that but it's his decision to do what he wants. I have my next cruise planned for January and can't wait to get on another NCL ship.

We all have our different risk tolerances. I was locked down tight during most of the pandemic because I was on an immune suppressing medication at the time, so I I understand your hesitation. I’m cruising in January, and things that make me feel physically safe are:

• knowing we are triple vaccinated
  • knowing everyone else on the ship is vaccinated and has tested negative. Sure, some cases will slip through, but the odds are that most people on the ship won’t be superspreaders. I can’t say the same for restaurants in my town.
  • knowing that we have a balcony, and that we will be in the Haven, with a little more room to spread out, free room service as an option, and maybe priority for outdoor seating at some restaurants. Having a nicer cabin also makes me less nervous about any quarantine situation that could happen if one of us gets Covid or is considered a close contact of a positive case.

Things that make me feel financially safer are:

• Having bought good CFAR insurance at the time of booking
  • Having booked on my Amex card. When NCL cancelled my April 2020 cruise and still hadn’t refunded my money more than 60 days after sailing date, despite. Y having asked for a refund on March 21, I called Amex and they had the money back in my account within minutes. People with other credit cards did not have this experience.

I’d encourage you to think about what is making you feel unsafe. For me, indoor shared air in small spaces  is my biggest concern, so I have some strategies to avoid that as much as possible if this new variant or another one turns out to be really bad. If you’re going to be so nervous that you won’t enjoy your vacation, maybe consider a land-based all-inclusive resort instead. 

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you and your wife get to enjoy a nice vacation soon, whatever you decide.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Waverunner1 said:

. . . . .Conversely, what has kept you hesitant to step back onboard? . . . .

To the OP, what has caused my hesitancy is the ever-changing circumstances related to covid. Changes in pre-cruise and onboard protocols, changes in available activities on board, changing restrictions in ports, changed ports, unpredictable changes in infection rates in this country and abroad, and unpredictable new covid variants.  Combine those uncertainties with the requirement to pay for a cruise several months in advance, and cruising is becoming unappealing to me (after 20+ cruises on most of the major lines). 

I feel protected by the vaccine and the booster, and I know there is insurance for canceling for any reason, but with several rescheduled cruises in my future, I expect to cancel prior to final payment until such time - if it ever comes - when cruising approaches pre-2020 normalcy and stability.  I did a couple road trip vacations this year, and currently those are more appealing to me.  

Clearly others feel differently, and I wish them all happy and safe cruises.  But since the OP asked about those who feel hesitant, I am sharing my perspective.   

• Thanks 1

the vaccination rate in our town is about 35 to 40%.  We are surrounded by non-mask wearing people when we go out.  I felt the safest I have felt since COVID started on our cruise.  Everyone was vaccinated, tested within 3 days and masks were worn except when outside (and some people wore them then) and when eating.  Handwashing stations before the buffet, sanitizer everywhere.  Cruises are also not very crowded right now so you get even more space.

• Like 2

Cruised in September to Alaska cruising to Mexico in January. Wasn't really worried then, still not worried now. Our September experience was really good, pre sail test was a non-issue and once onboard it was like the before times for the most part. Our January sailing is on a different line with slightly different testing procedures and mask rules. Still looking forward to the trip. 

3 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I’ve sailed to Alaska in Dec, and MR earlier this month. With the ships being 100% vaccinated and a negative test prior to boarding, I feel safer on a ship than going to the grocery store. But everyone has their own comfort level. 

Hahaha Alaska was in SEPTEMBER. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have elected for land vacations this year. Not because I am afraid of covid, but I don’t want to have to quarantine due to close contact. I’m also not super keen on all the last minute changes. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaMamma said:. I’m cruising in January, and things that make me feel physically safe are:
  • ……Having a nicer cabin also makes me less nervous about any quarantine situation that could happen if one of us gets Covid or is considered a close contact of a positive case.

While a lovely post, this statement is not accurate. If you are required to quarantine you are moved to a separate section of the ship. You are not allowed to stay in the cabin you booked. This is for a few reasons. First, Staff who interact with you  (room service, etc…) wear  hazmat type suits and the cruise line doesn't want bad publicity. Second, it is easier to monitor a block of rooms to make sure everyone stays put. Third- they need everyone together for movement off the ship. 

• Like 1

Just echoing what others have said. With 100% vaccinated and especially cruising to Bermuda, with their extra testing requirements (so three tests in four days for everyone), while a major PITA, also made that ship feel like one of the safest places on the planet for that week.

We also avoided any gatherings like the cc meet and greet, just in case someone there tested positive and they had to quarantine the whole group!

I have been taking Covid precautions pretty seriously.  I'm triple-vaxxed, live alone, and work from home, so I'm pretty comfortable in the isolation.  I went on my first cruise since 2019 last weekend on Celebrity and was still a bit uncomfortable, even knowing that 95% of the passengers were vaccinated and everyone tested negative two days before. I might have been overly sensitive, but I swear there were people coughing EVERYWHERE.  I think the cruise was ~70-75% full, and it felt it.  I had a balcony and spent a lot of time in my room or in other outdoor areas on the ship.  I was one of only a few (non-crew) wearing a mask most of the time I was inside and not in my room.  I did eat in the MDR most nights and when I ate at the buffet, I would take my food to the tables outside.  

I have a cruise on NCL coming up after Christmas, and I think I'll probably approach it the same way - mainly stay outdoors and wear a mask when indoors around other people.  I'm hoping this cruise is less full, but with it being over the holidays, I'm not holding my breath.  This might all be worry over nothing to a lot of people, but I'm not worried about what other people think.  You do you, and I'll do what I'm comfortable with.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have elected for land vacations this year. Not because I am afraid of covid, but I don’t want to have to quarantine due to close contact. I’m also not super keen on all the last minute changes. 

While a lovely post, this statement is not accurate. If you are required to quarantine you are moved to a separate section of the ship. You are not allowed to stay in the cabin you booked. This is for a few reasons. First, Staff who interact with you  (room service, etc…) wear  hazmat type suits and the cruise line doesn't want bad publicity. Second, it is easier to monitor a block of rooms to make sure everyone stays put. Third- they need everyone together for movement off the ship. 

Thanks. I didn’t know that. I had heard about people who were deemed close contacts of positive cases on some of the early Celebrity sailings quarantining in their cabins while they waited for test results, so I mistakenly assumed it was that way on NCl as well,

I wonder where on the ship they are quarantining people and whether they move the whole family. Four of us moving from a Haven 2-BR to an inside cabin would be terrible. 

• Like 1

We did a B2B on Royal back in August — frankly, the flight was WAY more stressful than the cruise.  We felt so at risk in the plane, and completely safe on the ship.  On the plane, who knows.  No vaccine requirement, no testing requirement, and all jammed together for 5 hours.  The guy on the other side of the aisle continuously removing his mask.  On the ship, everyone was tested and vaccinate, plenty of social distancing space.  

We did  another short Princess cruise locally — we were less happy with their MDR policies, but other than that, same testing and vaccination protocols.  Really didn’t think about it much, other than numerous “oops, grab the mask” when leaving our cabin.  We consistently felt safer on the ship than in our daily lives out and about.  

I would suggest, if possible, a shorter cruise within driving distance—on a cruise line like NCL that is strict with their protocols.  Shorter cruise also is less of an investment to worry about, and get insurance that will cover you for covid related cancellations.

• Like 1

We've been hesitant to cruise primarily because of the testing requirements. We've flown, gone on road trips, gone to Disneyland, etc. during covid without any concern. However, the idea of possibly testing positive at the port and getting denied boarding, etc. is what has turned us off on cruising. We just cancelled an already re-scheduled Disney cruise for Feb as there was no option to covid test in advance. Too stressful to fly all the way across the country and then not know for sure that you can sail until the covid testing at the port. We are looking at rebooking for the same week in the Haven on NCL as we could do an observed at home test before we leave and then still be able to cancel before we left home if someone happened to test positive. This seems a little less stressful to me to hopefully know before we leave home that we are likely good to go when we get to the port. I'm a little hesitant about potentially getting a FCC (and how long we have to use that) instead of a refund if we have to cancel for covid. Still trying to decipher how the FCC/refund would work if we also have CFAR insurance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c-cruise said:

We've been hesitant to cruise primarily because of the testing requirements. We've flown, gone on road trips, gone to Disneyland, etc. during covid without any concern. However, the idea of possibly testing positive at the port and getting denied boarding, etc. is what has turned us off on cruising. We just cancelled an already re-scheduled Disney cruise for Feb as there was no option to covid test in advance. Too stressful to fly all the way across the country and then not know for sure that you can sail until the covid testing at the port. We are looking at rebooking for the same week in the Haven on NCL as we could do an observed at home test before we leave and then still be able to cancel before we left home if someone happened to test positive. This seems a little less stressful to me to hopefully know before we leave home that we are likely good to go when we get to the port. I'm a little hesitant about potentially getting a FCC (and how long we have to use that) instead of a refund if we have to cancel for covid. Still trying to decipher how the FCC/refund would work if we also have CFAR insurance.

Why not just get a Covid test on your own before you leave, if you are concerned about testing positive at the port?

While it's not 100%, it's certainly very close to it.