Excursion canceled with no notice

geckobabe

We are booked for the first time with RC. I was checking our cruise planner today and saw that one of our excursions had been canceled. We did not receive any notification that it was canceled or when, just the amended order and it is gone from our calendar. Is this common with RC to cancel and not send an email or any kind of message? 

that is unfortunate to hear.

In normal times I would say this is a very rare occurrence. But an email is normally always sent, if you used a TA your TA would have notified you. If booking with RCL they would have sent something, maybe it is stuck in a spam folder?

But cruising in Covid times pretty much anything can happen. Hope you are able to book something else!

I have had shore excursions canceled by Royal for some upcoming cruises, but always got an email (I don't use a TA).  With Covid, I think they are limiting which vendors they work with, or possibly the vendor is no longer available or doesn't meet Covid protocol standards.  So I see far fewer options in my planner for various port stops than there were pre-Covid.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

that is unfortunate to hear.

In normal times I would say this is a very rare occurrence. But an email is normally always sent, if you used a TA your TA would have notified you. If booking with RCL they would have sent something, maybe it is stuck in a spam folder?

But cruising in Covid times pretty much anything can happen. Hope you are able to book something else!

I booked directly with RCL. No spam emails and I open every email from them even if it looks like the usual sales pitch/marketing ones. 

18 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We had one booked, and even had the tickets in our cabin. Two days before arriving at port, they canceled it. 

I guess not that unusual for Covid times 

Even pre-Covid multiple times I've heard on CC over the years

2 hours ago, geckobabe said:

We are booked for the first time with RC. I was checking our cruise planner today and saw that one of our excursions had been canceled. We did not receive any notification that it was canceled or when, just the amended order and it is gone from our calendar. Is this common with RC to cancel and not send an email or any kind of message? 

I had a ship change, port change, port excursion canceled, beverage package canceled, and a stateroom change. Never an e-mail from royal or the TA. I did however receive at least 8 E-mails requesting my vaccination status, including one the day before the cruise. I quit replying after I replied to the third one.

Edited by RedIguana
Added info
  • Like 2

For those that asked if I received a refund: I've been chatting with a rep thru the RC twitter account, and apparently a refund was started 11/30 for it. There was no answer about the reason for the excursion in question no longer on our planner, but I don't see it available anymore. So perhaps, it was just completely canceled. Now I have them checking as we haven't gotten a refund from the two excursions we canceled previously.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Is the port where the excursion was scheduled still on your itinerary?

It was the oct 16 sailing of the Brilliance/Serenade. There is a good chance if the excursion was canceled, so will the port. Unless this falls under the new cruise planner glitch.

I had two excursions canceled on an October Symohony sailing and now one canceled on a December Jewel sailing.

The first time, we got an email stating they had to cancel due to operational reasons (?). I am guessing they did not meet the COVID standards and our money was refunded pretty quickly. The second one was canceled 3 days before the cruise, did get the email and was refunded very quickly again.

The one for December canceled. We found out because we started getting refunds and we did not know why. We then saw the excursion was not in the planner. Figured it did not meet the COVID requirements. The same excursion is now available again for $30pp more.... Interesting.....

CJ

• Like 1

Mystery solved! I was poking around on the web and this site has the exact excursion listed https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/skagway/wildlife-safari-and-bear-viewing-tour with a note on the description that it is only offered July - September. We will be there in May. So, it shouldn't have been offered in the first place. On a good note, the refund has already gone onto my credit card. Now to decide on what to do in Skagway.  

• Like 1

A few years ago, on our honeymoon, our dune buggy excursion was cancelled in Jamaica. We had wandered around the port for an hour and waited at the departure point that was printed on our tickets (that we were given on embarkation day), but nobody showed up. About 15 minutes after the departure time, people from the excursion company arrived for the next excursion and they said that our excursion had left like 40 minutes ago (before the time of the excursion) and they couldn't do anything for us. Went back to the ship, straight to Guest Services, and we were told that the excursion had been cancelled and that they had sent a paper notice to our room the day before, which wasn't true (we confirmed with our stewards that they never got anything) and that since the day was already halfway done and there weren't any more excursions leaving for the afternoon, we were stuck. We spent the rest of the day on the ship. They refunded us, but the whole experience soured the rest of the cruise and trip in general. The dune buggy excursion was the only active excursion that I had booked, to satisfy my husband's interests (he's not a sitting on the beach to relax kind of guy, and we had gone to Labadee for a beach day and Dolphinaris in Cozumel), so it was a huge disappointment.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that excursions can be cancelled at any time and you may or may not be informed of it. Hopefully nobody will ever go through this same situation again.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:33 AM, geckobabe said:

Mystery solved! I was poking around on the web and this site has the exact excursion listed https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/skagway/wildlife-safari-and-bear-viewing-tour with a note on the description that it is only offered July - September. We will be there in May. So, it shouldn't have been offered in the first place. On a good note, the refund has already gone onto my credit card. Now to decide on what to do in Skagway.  

This was one of my favorite excursions ever. I did it in May 2019 so hopefully timing wouldn't be an issue. It is a bit more on the adventurous side, but it was just as amazing as watching a baby humpback play in the water for over an hour in Juneau. 

https://www.oceanraftalaska.com/

I was in port long enough that I did a van tour in the morning that sorta took you the same way the train did. Then had the raft tour in the afternoon. 

Edited by smplybcause

On 12/7/2021 at 10:56 PM, smplybcause said:

This was one of my favorite excursions ever. I did it in May 2019 so hopefully timing wouldn't be an issue. It is a bit more on the adventurous side, but it was just as amazing as watching a baby humpback play in the water for over an hour in Juneau. 

https://www.oceanraftalaska.com/

I was in port long enough that I did a van tour in the morning that sorta took you the same way the train did. Then had the raft tour in the afternoon. 

Thanks for the info!!! This looks great!