What is the difference between the wi fi packages?

Harrylinden

I am wondering also.  Going on the Apex, Caribbean cruise.

I have WiFi with my perks.  12 yr granddaughter likes to FaceTime/Skype/What’s app her mom daily.

Wondering if WiFi included can be used for what she wants to do?

Basically you have a choice of the the Surf package or Extreme.   The difference is the bandwidth.   

Surf package is ok if you just want to browse simple internet sites (many claim they can't access CC), Social Media, emails etc.

image.png.6387d51641097ceab41fe9abdaa38656.png

Extreme is about 3x faster and you can do video calling like Facetime, stream things like Netflix, Zoom etc

image.png.f669ecf4276357ff6bd76bfd07493c50.png

• Like 2

I was on Apex just a couple weeks ago. The basic, included WiFi is barely useable. Bandwidth is severely restricted, and it even appears as if many domains are blocked entirely. Beyond email and the most basic of websites, the AI WiFi is so bad it shouldn't even be considered a perk.

For Facetime, you'll certainly need to pay for the upgraded WiFi, and on our cruise it was something like USD$245 for the week. Needless to say, we looked for proper WiFi when in port...

The cost to upgrade from the included Surf package to the Stream is $18 per day. 
You may want to upgrade just one of the included wi-fi packages,

so you & granddaughter an FaceTime, check Facebook, Cruises Critic and IG; you are not required to upgrade both passengers wi-fi.

23 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I was on Apex just a couple weeks ago. The basic, included WiFi is barely useable. Bandwidth is severely restricted, and it even appears as if many domains are blocked entirely. Beyond email and the most basic of websites, the AI WiFi is so bad it shouldn't even be considered a perk.

For Facetime, you'll certainly need to pay for the upgraded WiFi, and on our cruise it was something like USD$245 for the week. Needless to say, we looked for proper WiFi when in port...

Agree its pretty useless and was included as a perk along with drink package and gratuities. Fortunately I upgraded to premium package and got more than my money's worth. Also have elite status so used those minutes to call and send pictures.

21 hours ago, nikel said:

What if I have the elite plus minutes ? In the past I could still FaceTime, check Facebook, send pictures, etc.  Does that still work?

The free Elite+ minutes are Xcelerate so yes it still works. 

10 minutes ago, nikel said:

Thank you. The 240 minutes each is usually enough for us.

Just make sure you log off after each session or you minutes magically disappear.   I had that happen once but they voluntarily reapplied them.

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just make sure you log off after each session or you minutes magically disappear.   I had that happen once but they voluntarily reapplied them.

Thanks, I know samething  happend to us the first year we were Elite....

We just got off the Silhouette on Friday and the edge last month. The Silly went to the ABC islands and the internet surf was terrible throughout the cruise. We went to ILounge and the tech there explained that if you are elite or higher you can use your minutes and they are as Jim said earlier they are the Extreme and can be used even when you have a surf package. We wanted to FaceTime with the family on thanksgiving with our surf package and could not, but we could have with our minutes if that makes any sense. On the Edge we had the package that came with the retreat which was the extreme and we could do anything and coverage was great. So, every voyage and every ship is different and even packages can vary on quality. 

1 hour ago, Pennstatedj said:

We just got off the Silhouette on Friday and the edge last month. The Silly went to the ABC islands and the internet surf was terrible throughout the cruise. We went to ILounge and the tech there explained that if you are elite or higher you can use your minutes and they are as Jim said earlier they are the Extreme and can be used even when you have a surf package. We wanted to FaceTime with the family on thanksgiving with our surf package and could not, but we could have with our minutes if that makes any sense. On the Edge we had the package that came with the retreat which was the extreme and we could do anything and coverage was great. So, every voyage and every ship is different and even packages can vary on quality. 

I was on the Silhouette sailing November 12th and kept alternating between xcelerate and my Elite minutes. If I wanted to talk to family I would send a text through what's app to let them know I was going to call.  It actually worked out quite well.