Onboard Announcements for Northern Lights?

bespin

For anyone who has been on a Celebrity cruise to Greenland/Iceland/etc - does the ship make announcements when the Northern Lights are visible? 

I know that typically the Northern Lights are most likely to happen September-April, but that it depends on atmospheric conditions, and would happen at night. 

My question is: does the ship make announcements to alert the passengers when the Lights are visible? Or, if ship-wide announcements are not made, could a passenger ask to be notified individually? 

Thanks for any information.

On previous trips to Iceland and Alaska no such shipwide announcements were made.  I imagine that most passengers would not like their sleep interrupted by any such announcement piped into their stateroom, and ordinary announcements (such as the Captain’s Daily Briefing) are barely audible in staterooms unless the door is open so would probably not be effective.

• Like 1

The Iceland/Greenland trips this year are in August.  Since it never really gets totally dark any announcement and as said the ship would need to turn OFF the outside lights difficult to see the lights.

However, if there is an unusual astronomical event notifying ship personnel.and they will assist as possible.  For example had an exceptional comet on a cruise to Hawaii.   Outside lights were dimmed or turned off and binoculars available along with a telescope or two.  No idea where those came from.

You can look up conditions online for sky viewing.  I use Aurora Alerts website.  Good predictions about 3 days ahead

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bespin said:

For anyone who has been on a Celebrity cruise to Greenland/Iceland/etc - does the ship make announcements when the Northern Lights are visible? 

I know that typically the Northern Lights are most likely to happen September-April, but that it depends on atmospheric conditions, and would happen at night. 

My question is: does the ship make announcements to alert the passengers when the Lights are visible? Or, if ship-wide announcements are not made, could a passenger ask to be notified individually? 

Thanks for any information.

If you are booking to see the Northern Lights your likelihood of doing so is practically zero on this cruise - sorry.

• Like 1

Hello,

On board P&O's Aurora a couple of years ago, there were public announcements of the visibility of the Northern Lights and deck lights were switched-off. This was in February.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

When we did Iceland on Reflection in 2019 the sun was still up at midnight and came back up at 3:30 am. Never really got dark. If you want the Northern Lights on a cruise, there are other lines that do winter cruises up north. Viking Ocean comes to mind. 

• Like 1

I think it will depend on the Captain.   I was on an Alaska cruise and the Captain came on (inside the cabins at 9:30 PM)  and said while I normally never interrupt passengers in their cabins their is a beautiful Northern Light Display port side.   No further announcements will be made.  This cruise was the last cruise of the season September 8, 2018 on Millennium.

• Like 1

We were on the Solstice in Alaska September 2019 and the captain announced in the staterooms about 11:00pm that the Northern lights were visible and turned off outside deck lights off.  It woke us up, but we didn’t mind!  Our daughter-in-law got amazing pictures!

• Like 1

We were on a Royal Caribbean westbound transatlantic cruise several years ago and were in Iceland the second week of September. The captain mentioned in his daily briefing that the crew had seen a brief flare of the aurora early that morning, and the sunspot activity indicated a strong possibility of seeing the aurora that evening after we left Reykjavik. While the captain did not make an announcement over the PA system, staff members in all of the public venues made an announcement  when the aurora was visible. We learned about it as we left the performance in the theater and immediately went to the upper deck. The captain had reduced some of the outside lighting and the aurora completely filled the sky and surrounded the ship. We watched it from deck chairs for a couple of hours before calling it a night. It was one of the best travel experiences we have had. 

• Like 1

We were on Millennium in September & again October in Alaska…. There were plenty of apps to check the ratings of sightings possibilities…  & most people onboard kept one another updated. Announcements during day mentioned possibilities.   I spent several very cold nights bundled up & looking to no avail.   DH went out every night.   The buffet had hot drinks going for those who braved the cold.   Despite not seeing them, it was fun trying, & a fantastic adventure to be in Alaska more or less alone.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:47 AM, Alakegirl said:

On previous trips to Iceland and Alaska no such shipwide announcements were made.  I imagine that most passengers would not like their sleep interrupted by any such announcement piped into their stateroom, and ordinary announcements (such as the Captain’s Daily Briefing) are barely audible in staterooms unless the door is open so would probably not be effective.

You can tune your TV to get the Captains broadcast loud and clear- can't remember offhand which channel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bespin said:

Thanks again for the information. It helps me set expectations for future cruises. 

If you want "guaranteed" lights take the Hurtigruten coastal voyage the full 12 nights. At the right time of year if the lights don't appear you get another 7 day cruise free. No need to book the much more expensive "expedition" cruise unless you want the lectures etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Millennium this year in August for an Alaskan cruise.  I begged the Retreat Hostess to wake us, no matter what time if we could see the Northern lights.  Needless to say, the were visible on night at abut 1:00am.  the Captain made an announcement, but only in the hallways and the Hostess did not wake us 😞  I was not a happy camper !!!

• Like 1