Another Problem for Canadian Cruisers

Fouremco

22 minutes ago, CamCan4 said:

Honestly I’m supposed to leave a week today. I don’t even know if I want to pack. We were going on this cruise come he!! or high water. I will quarantine when I get home if I have to. I just want the option to do this. 

Who knows what will happen at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were mid cruise and heard the Government of Canada is calling all Canadians back. Nothing they do now would surprise me. Just frustrating after so many years of this bs. 

Stop worry (lol). Enjoy your trip.  To make you feel a little better, the reports that coming out of South Africa today and yesterday indicating a milder symptoms and is not worst than Delta. 
https://globalnews.ca/news/8443119/omicron-covid-19-variant-milder-symptoms-delta/

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, vana said:

Hello, 

we got back on Nov 27th from FLL, by air. Azamara tested us on the ship prior to disembarkation. 

our certificate (eurofins) says:

stateroom #

name of ship

but gives an adress in MA, USA.

we had no trouble at the airport with air Canada nor at our arrival in Montreal.

Did you indicate in the ArriveCAN app that you had visited countries other than the US?

And if so, did they ask you to do any testing either at the airport or do an at-home test?

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

Did you indicate in the ArriveCAN app that you had visited countries other than the US?

And if so, did they ask you to do any testing either at the airport or do an at-home test?

Thanks.

They arrived back before the announcement.

We need a Canadian cruiser to be coming back now as the announcement was December 1st and then see what actually happened when they arrived home.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I've no problem with the concept, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the details. For starters, what does "exposed to COVID" mean? For example, if another child in one of my grandkids' schools has COVID, does every kid in the school and all the teachers have to quarantine? If I go to a Sens game and another attendee has COVID, am I considered to be exposed, even though we were sitting at opposite end of the rink? So many questions...

Well said, I couldn't agree more. 

Yes that remains to be seen. Who knows what will happen, and I too will wait (while clenching my teeth) for this week to go by and then see where we’re at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcell said:

It would be like at the start, where a grocery store employee tested postive for covid and they shut down the store for 2 weeks for "deep cleaning" -- that made so much sense (this was in Ontario, I think Markham)

Or shut down small businesses but keep Costco open...

What is more annoying than Covid is the inconsistency in how they are dealing with it...  

Between business, provinces (Ontario was locked down the hardest and longest)...

Yes a lot of things done in the past were completely outrageous and made zero sense, while some things were great. Consistency would be great instead of all this flip flopping on rules.

Costco was the place to “hang out” for families while small businesses suffered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peacefrogdog said:

Thanks.

Hello, 

yes it was « before » but our transat crossing from Lisbon only had one stop US virgin island so all the immigration process was done at that time. But no, we didn't have to say where ye hang out for the last 14 days…

we also had trouble at YUL airport with the automated machine to registered our coming back to canadian land so we had to meet with a reel custom officer who asked us a bunch of question, including where we have been.  Nothing happenned… we picked up our luggages and left the airport… 

voilà!

have a great week,

Potential announcement or not we aren't backing away from our plans right now.  For us the one thing that will definitely make us cancel would be the mandatory hotel quarantine.  While I've no doubt that they will likely try something else, but at this point it is speculation at best as to what that might be.  You do have to wonder how much more the average person is going to swallow in terms of measures.  Not that I am suggesting ignoring any measures in any way.  Each individual is going to have to make that choice on their own.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, K_e_short said:

They arrived back before the announcement.

We need a Canadian cruiser to be coming back now as the announcement was December 1st and then see what actually happened when they arrived home.

We are on the NCL Encore from Xmas to NY week...I'll post when we get back (Jan 3) as to whether I'm in quarantine or not after the border crossing on the Sunday night...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bookbabe said:

We are on the NCL Encore from Xmas to NY week...I'll post when we get back (Jan 3) as to whether I'm in quarantine or not after the border crossing on the Sunday night...

I'm flying home on January 2nd and plan to post the same information, either from work on Monday or from my house if I have to wait for my arrival test.

Or I might be posting from a hotel in Orlando if I test positive..

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I'm flying home on January 2nd and plan to post the same information, either from work on Monday or from my house if I have to wait for my arrival test.

Or I might be posting from a hotel in Orlando if I test positive..

LOL.  Technically, we’re also flying back on Jan 2nd, but figured I wouldn’t get onto CC until the next morning.  Our quarantine hotel would be in Miami, though…. 😉

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:27 AM, Fouremco said:

On declaration forms in the past, your options were

Arriving from:

U.S. only

Other country direct

Other country via U.S.

But the ArriveCAN app specifically asks you to list all countries visited in the past 14 days.

So any Canadian going on a cruise will have to isolate after if flying into Canada? Well this may change our plans. I didn’t realize the ArriveCAN app specifically asked which countries were visited in the past 14 days 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, macfam5 said:

So any Canadian going on a cruise will have to isolate after if flying into Canada? Well this may change our plans. I didn’t realize the ArriveCAN app specifically asked which countries were visited in the past 14 days 

I'm taking my chances when I fly back January 2nd.

43 minutes ago, macfam5 said:

Ok so I am confused. If we get our PCR test done on the ship , is this not acceptable returning to Canada by air since we are not getting tested on US land ? 

For air travel you're fine.

Its for those of us traveling by car, they add a stipulation the test must be done on US soil. Its currently being inconsistently enforced but its something i dont want to test right now.

It just means for our cruise later this month we most likely will forego the ship COVID test and just go to Walgreens or CVS to get tested.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Chickadees said:

They (government) random test passengers on arrival. The guy sitting beside me on the plane and a note on his boarding pass to test on arrival. If you have this, it would have added another 30 minutes to the immigration process. The arrivals area has been transformed into a Covid testing centre. 

This is exactly what I pictured in my mind. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:58 AM, Fouremco said:

Mine clearly shows post-cruise arrivals, and you can be assured that CBSA has direct access to the same information from CBP.

Just remember to ensure that your answers to questions in the ArriveCAN app are as accurate as if posed by a CBSA officer directly. 

This above, all day long.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, peanutgirl said:

The officer at the border said our test was not taken in the USA. Our test clearly said it was taken on an NCL ship. He knew we had been on a cruise and wear  we had been, I think from swiping our passports-and asked if we planned on doing any more cruises and if we did  we had to get tested on land before we came across again

If I remember correctly RC uses an address in Miami. 

On 12/12/2021 at 5:20 PM, Welly9 said:

FYI if it means anything, tested on the ship, and I believe analysis is based in Miami, our form said that anyway! 

Seems like someone has had the experience I mentioned just above.

From reading here it seems as other lines use addresses in the states from different locations. How one disembarks in MIA, and is tested in NY is an entirely different matter but if it meets the qualifications for land crossings does it matter.🤷‍♂️  It was "on land" after all to meet the qualifications. 😉

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is relevant given all the rapidly changing procedures - but for what it's worth, I returned from my cruise Dec 9th with a ship test. I flew out of Detroit, crossed in Windsor. They never asked to see my proof of vaccination, my ArriveCan receipt or my Covid test. Just my passport and I was on my way. It was one of the easiest crossings I've ever done.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, macfam5 said:

What is written is very non-specific regarding:

1. Who will be selected to be tested : all arriving passengers who have been in another country beyond US, or random ones? Especially when airports have publicly said they can not handle all this testing.

2. If testing, how long to isolate? What they say for people selected for random is to isolate at home until whatever test you do returns which can be "up to 2-3 days".  

3. What testing passengers will be subjected to.  I'm hard pressed to believe airports have the ability to do PCR testing on people, and would not be surprised if they hand out rapid tests.

Still lots of specifics, and process issues that need to be sorted out it seems.  

Based on airports saying they don't have capacity, I'm hoping they 'choose their battles' re: who they say get tested. I.e. focus on people at highest risk based on where they travel from, vaccination status. With that, I'm hoping they see cruisers (who should have a negative PCR test done within potentially 24-48 hours, are fully vaxxed, have not set  foot in a high risk country) as low risk overall.

• Like 1

well we're just off our cruise (eurodam) now and waiting in the airport in Florida.

Had the HAL free test outside the ship and the results are to be emailed within 2 hours.

I'll post if anything goes awry on the rest of our return, but so far everything has been smooth and relatively easy!

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

well we're just off our cruise (eurodam) now and waiting in the airport in Florida.

Had the HAL free test outside the ship and the results are to be emailed within 2 hours.

I'll post if anything goes awry on the rest of our return, but so far everything has been smooth and relatively easy!

I would really like to hear how they react to your ArriveCan app saying that you were in other countries because of your cruise.

That was the big question regarding the language on the website - everyone visting a country other then the U.S. in the last 14 days.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jean163 said:

Just heard that the feds are going to be 'discussing' reinstating the travel ban for non-essential travel.  Wonder if that happens whether we can hope for a refund from our cruise line?

We got a full refund from Carnival last week, so you should be good regardless.

1 hour ago, Sistersinlaw said:

The fare we booked specified that if we cancel at any time we will lose the deposit. I bought the insurance but that only gives me 75% back in FCC. 
I am not sure I would get a refund. 

9 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

The fare we booked specified that if we cancel at any time we will lose the deposit. I bought the insurance but that only gives me 75% back in FCC. 
I am not sure I would get a refund. 

I am in same boat - I have alternate insurance as well but that only kicks in if Canada puts in an official travel advisory against international travel... or if I can't get back into Canada as I am only a temporary resident (waiting for PR - spousal sponsorship approved)

1 hour ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Our 'Christmas and New Year' cruise on Oceania is leaving next Tuesday and we are scheduled to fly out on Monday so we are really stuck now.  Full fare paid 2 months ago. When was your Carnival cruise departing and had you paid full fare?  They have definitely put in the official travel advisory against all 'non-essential' travel now.  They have warned about the possibility of being stranded.