Another Problem for Canadian Cruisers

Fouremco

53 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

The fare we booked specified that if we cancel at any time we will lose the deposit. I bought the insurance but that only gives me 75% back in FCC. 
I am not sure I would get a refund. 

Carnival has been awesome at giving back full refunds because of Covid.

I would call and say that there is a travel advisory and you are unable to travel.

The Carnival website clearly states that "

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency, or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Ticket Contract for your cruise."

That sounds like you will get 100% FCC. You won't get your money back though, but you wont' lose anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Carnival has been awesome at giving back full refunds because of Covid.

I would call and say that there is a travel advisory and you are unable to travel.

The Carnival website clearly states that "

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency, or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Ticket Contract for your cruise."

That sounds like you will get 100% FCC. You won't get your money back though, but you wont' lose anything.

i'm good with that.  

The funniest thing is I bought the insurance for $147.  When things started to go bad, I looked into the exact terms.  Looks like I'll get $150 FCC if I cancel for any reason 😆

24 minutes ago, jean163 said:

Our 'Christmas and New Year' cruise on Oceania is leaving next Tuesday and we are scheduled to fly out on Monday so we are really stuck now.  Full fare paid 2 months ago. When was your Carnival cruise departing and had you paid full fare?  They have definitely put in the official travel advisory against all 'non-essential' travel now.  They have warned about the possibility of being stranded.

That is a tough question.  It comes down to your risk tolerance, where you are going and how long will will you be gone.  I think it is safe to safe, that while the advisory is out there for 4 weeks, it will most likely get extended as this issue is not going away in 1 month.

Personally, I am not leaving for 2 weeks and will only be gone for 1 week.   I will wait until the last minute to make the call.   If I was leaving tomorrow, I would go.   That is based on the fact that I am going to the US, I am covered for medical insurance if I get sick and worse case could fly to detroit/niagara falls and then cross the border by land. 

The one risk is that they may require people to quarantine in a hotel upon arrival, but the government screwed that up so bad the last time they tried to implement it, I would doubt that will happen again.  Worse case, I would guess they will require you to go home directly and quarantine from there.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this....

7 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I would really like to hear how they react to your ArriveCan app saying that you were in other countries because of your cruise.

That was the big question regarding the language on the website - everyone visting a country other then the U.S. in the last 14 days.

Just got off Oasis Sunday and completed the app stating all the islands visited. My app for some reason wouldn't accept my vax card this time even though i have used it for the last 4 trips with no issue. All your ArriveCan stuff is in your passport when they swipe it, and sure enough, the agent said I had no proof of vaccine showing, so had to go to yet another line up to show it in person. They said nothing about countries visited. Not picked for a random test. Away I went!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, melbur said:

Just got off Oasis Sunday and completed the app stating all the islands visited. My app for some reason wouldn't accept my vax card this time even though i have used it for the last 4 trips with no issue. All your ArriveCan stuff is in your passport when they swipe it, and sure enough, the agent said I had no proof of vaccine showing, so had to go to yet another line up to show it in person. They said nothing about countries visited. Not picked for a random test. Away I went!

Thank you for sharing.

10 hours ago, rodndonna said:

well we're just off our cruise (eurodam) now and waiting in the airport in Florida.

Had the HAL free test outside the ship and the results are to be emailed within 2 hours.

I'll post if anything goes awry on the rest of our return, but so far everything has been smooth and relatively easy!

just arrived home now and unpacked. The rest went smoothly and anxious to get back out again!!

The ArriveCan app had all the countries from our cruise. At the e-declaration customs terminal the question is very specific "are you arriving from US direct flight'.

We took the form and passport to the customs guy who only asked "where are you arriving from". I said "Fort Lauderdale,  coming off a cruise". He said "that sounds like fun".  I said "it was!" . He put a green sticky on our passport which I figured was a good sign and it was...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

just arrived home now and unpacked. The rest went smoothly and anxious to get back out again!!

The ArriveCan app had all the countries from our cruise. At the e-declaration customs terminal the question is very specific "are you arriving from US direct flight'.

We took the form and passport to the customs guy who only asked "where are you arriving from". I said "Fort Lauderdale,  coming off a cruise". He said "that sounds like fun".  I said "it was!" . He put a green sticky on our passport which I figured was a good sign and it was...

Thanks for the update - so on the arrican app did you indicate all the countries you visited?  and how did you respond to the customs terminal question?  

How long did it take to get your test results emailed to you?  Assume you got them while at the airport?

So glad you had no issues and had a good experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Thanks for the update - so on the arrican app did you indicate all the countries you visited?  and how did you respond to the customs terminal question?  

How long did it take to get your test results emailed to you?  Assume you got them while at the airport?

So glad you had no issues and had a good experience.

Yes - we listed all the countries (basically out itinerary).

We checked the "arriving from US direct flight" option at the terminal. I forget the wording on the other options but they are not applicable. It is looking for the origin of your flight only.

Our results arrived in 1 hour. They state up to 2 hours, so we were happy with that. We just did the test, went to the airport, and after the results came in our email, we checked in for our flight (we had a few hours so were not nervous about the results taking too long).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

I wonder if Celebrity will change the FPD from 90 to 60 days for cruises over 7 days 

our FPD is around the end of January , for the Apex TA but our Travel agent  is on the Reflection and wants payment mid January

Celebrity has already reduced the FPD to 60 days for cruises departing up to the end of March. If your cruise is in April, you are out of luck. 

On 12/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Fouremco said:

From tonight's Globe and Mail emailed Evening Update:

Air travellers could wait up to three days in isolation for on-arrival COVID-19 test result in Canada

Travellers arriving in Canada from countries other than the United States can expect to isolate for as many as three days while they wait for their COVID-19 test results, part of Ottawa’s evolving strategy to slow the spread of the Omicron variant. 

The new on-arrival testing rule for air travellers was first announced Tuesday in a suite of new measures. However, the details of its implementation were still foggy Wednesday, with the country’s major airports waiting for more information and the government not saying when the rule will be fully in place. 

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said travellers will either be tested at the airport or given one to take at home in isolation. He said the expected “service standard” to receive a test result is three days, but at the moment the majority of tests come back in a day. That could change, he cautioned, as the government increases the number of travellers being tested by more than 50 per cent. 

The government said the on-arrival test and isolation rule will apply to all travellers who have been in a country other than the U.S. in the past 14 days – even if they arrive in Canada via the U.S.

So, for all of us with Caribbean cruises coming up, be prepared for a period of isolation upon return after taking a second PCR test. 

I wonder how that would work .....I will be getting off the ship and going to my brother's home for 9 days before returning to Toronto......Would I still have to isolate after being in the US for 9 days...

4 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I wonder how that would work .....I will be getting off the ship and going to my brother's home for 9 days before returning to Toronto......Would I still have to isolate after being in the US for 9 days...

I would say yes.  You were out of the US/Canada in the past 14 days.  You have to isolate until your test comes back.  

That said, it has been updated and it will be random testing, not everyone. 

3 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

In theory yes, as you still would have visited another country within the previous 14 days. However, that article was dated December 2, and there have been multiple changes announced since then, not all of which have been fully implemented. Right now it's random, but they hope to reach 100% in the next few weeks, even though the airports say that's not achievable. I wouldn't hazard a guess at this point whether you would be required to test and isolate upon return.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I would say yes.  You were out of the US/Canada in the past 14 days.  You have to isolate until your test comes back.  

That said, it has been updated and it will be random testing, not everyone. 

I'll go get a rapid test when I land back in Fla....plenty of time for results...

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In theory yes, as you still would have visited another country within the previous 14 days. However, that article was dated December 2, and there have been multiple changes announced since then, not all of which have been fully implemented. Right now it's random, but they hope to reach 100% in the next few weeks, even though the airports say that's not achievable. I wouldn't hazard a guess at this point whether you would be required to test and isolate upon return.

Personally....I am getting to the point (after seeing numbers skyrocket)....if Carnival and Air Canada will give me all my money back....I'd be out...

Why are 1 - 3 day PCR tests being used when 1hr are available? Surely the cost to travellers for the longer results period far outweighs any additional cost of more rapid tests?

Heck, why not do an initial screen with 15min antigen tests, using PCR to confirm positives?

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I'll go get a rapid test when I land back in Fla....plenty of time for results...

Personally....I am getting to the point (after seeing numbers skyrocket)....if Carnival and Air Canada will give me all my money back....I'd be out...

It doesn't matter.  If you have been out of Canada/US in the past 14 days, you may be selected to do a random test.  If selected, you will be required to take a test (assuming PCR ) and will be required to quarantine until the results come back.  They said it could be up to three days (which is why we assume PCR). 

People flying will have had a PCR test prior to getting on the plane and may still be subject to another test upon arrival in Canada.  That was a complaint many of us had here. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

We arrived home yesterday from the Celebrity Summit sailing.  Everything went extremely smooth for us. We had most of the ArrivCan App filled out prior to travel.  We completed it on the last day in Miami prior to flying home (we did one night post cruise).  The custom/boarder officer asked us where we were coming in from, we stated that we flew in from Miami, after doing a cruise.  He handed us our passports back with a neon green PHAC sticker.  We presented the passport with our sticker to another check point after baggage claim and was given the green light to exit without going through additional testing. 

It was clear that Pearson (YYZ) has not been able to fully implement the current protocols at the time of testing all travellers entering outside the US.  All the signs in the airport were still indicating randomized testing and potential quarantine. Now that testing is going to be implemented across the board it will be interesting to see how the airports will transition given they currently already can’t keep up with the volume of testing.  The line up looked long but it was hard to tell due to the set up how far it went back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We departed Quito on December 14th at 2 am, connected through Houston and arrived at Toronto Pearson at 2 pm on the 14th. My DW had the neon green sticker on her passport, I drew the short straw and had the neon red, randomly chosen for the PCR test. Once outside customs and baggage claim, entered the line for the test. A health representative was walking through the line asking if 

anyone had already set up their ASMO Swich Health account. As I had I was moved to a second line that had me talking with an agent in less than 1 minute. Test completed with a nurse less than 3 minutes later. Told I had to isolate at home until results were back on the ASMO website. They arrived, negative,  at 8 pm on the 15th. Not really a big deal, especially if you decide you want to travel in these times.

• Like 8

Back late last night Dec 18th from a 7 day Carribean cruise.

Went through the Nexus Line, still had to see an agent.  Ask for our passports, did not ask any questions, and just said, we will need to be tested.  

The test did go smoothly and we are at home for the next 24-72 hours waiting for the results.

Edited by bill0021
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, isnowman said:

We departed Quito on December 14th at 2 am, connected through Houston and arrived at Toronto Pearson at 2 pm on the 14th. My DW had the neon green sticker on her passport, I drew the short straw and had the neon red, randomly chosen for the PCR test. Once outside customs and baggage claim, entered the line for the test. A health representative was walking through the line asking if 

anyone had already set up their ASMO Swich Health account. As I had I was moved to a second line that had me talking with an agent in less than 1 minute. Test completed with a nurse less than 3 minutes later. Told I had to isolate at home until results were back on the ASMO website. They arrived, negative,  at 8 pm on the 15th. Not really a big deal, especially if you decide you want to travel in these times.

So the important take away is to set up an account with Switch Health beforehand, just in case.

• Like 3

My friend and I just flew home to Calgary via Toronto on Sunday afternoon from our 8 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, we flew out of FLL. We really only hit one small snag, as I was selected in Toronto for random testing. My friend was not. 

In FLL make sure to locate the "Document Verification" lineup as your first stop at the Airport. The sign is a little hard to see because it's just a piece of paper taped over a regular Air Canada sign. The lineup was close to the airport entry doors along the window. Make sure to have your ArriveCan App up on your phone, completed and ready, your passport, a paper copy of your vaccine verification, and your negative PCR test. They will give you a sticker on your passport and then you can enter the baggage drop-off line.

Upon arrival in Toronto we filled out our declarations at the electronic stands. I said that I was coming into Canada via the US from another country, since we had visited 4 ports (which we had listed on our arriveCan apps) My friend interpreted hers differently and said she was only arriving from the US. We went through to see the custom's officer separately, although we did see the same officer. We both told her we had been on a cruise. Friend got the green sticker, I got a pink one. As we departed customs there was a woman sorting us by our stickers and I was sent to the back of a very long lineup to await a covid test. The line was not moving very quickly and there must have been over 50 people in front of me. We had plenty of time before our next flight so I texted my friend that I would just meet her at our next gate. While standing in line, a worker who was overseeing our line radioed to someone to let them know that the line was getting very long and that "customs is sending nearly everyone for testing, and many of these travellers have connections to make". The line went a little faster but in total likely took about 45 minutes to an hour to reach the front. As we got closer to the front of the line, there was a sign with a QR code to scan to access a webpage and register for the test. It was fairly lengthy and required that you create an account with a login and password, (and a password reminder question), DOB, address and other such particulars, your health care number.... it takes awhile. I do recommend doing ahead just in case. They did the PCR test and did not give me any further instructions. I left and caught my next flight to Calgary along with 400+ of my besties; I was shocked. I actually thought they would process the test before letting me leave the screening area and to find out whether I was positive or negative. I was allowed to board my flight without issue and did not even know that I was to quarantine until I read it on here. My test results were ready this morning at 5:15 am (the message to check the portal came via text and email) I am negative. But what is the point of testing if they are allowing you to board another plane within Canada? I assume the covid tester I had just didn't do her job by informing me i was to isolate, but they should be giving out a sheet of some sort giving you a run down of your obligation to isolate. 

Anyhow, we did have a fabulous cruise aboard Allure and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We felt very safe with the extra measures onboard, but there were a few people who did test positive at the end of our sailing that we heard about. One of our US members of our CC group was set to do a B2B but her PCR test from the ship came back positive and she is sitting in a quarantine hotel near the airport in FLL. Royal is getting her home by private transport tomorrow.

Oh, and one last thing. We very nearly had a heart attack the night before we flew out because the Air Canada app told us that our COVID_19  Health Document was not accepted and that "the document is incorrect" when we were doing our check-in. It had us second-guessing whether we had misread something and not taken the test at the appropriate time; which was just a few hours earlier. Thankfully there is an example listed that outlined that we indeed had done everything correctly so we decided to go get dinner and try again later. While at dinner we received emails that our documents were all approved. WHEW! I think the system was overwhelmed or something for a bit, but it was a sinking feeling because it was getting late and we were afraid we were not going to be able to enter the US to catch our boat. So just know that this can happen and don't panic 🙂

Have a great Christmas everyone!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Just got back from Allure yesterday and wanted to come here and document my experience. I have followed this thread closely over the last few weeks leading up to the cruise. Wanted to share what happened with us yesterday. 

We flew round trip from DTW-FLL, and we used the Ambassador Bridge to cross back and forth. On the way there, the only question asked was, “What was the last date of your second vaccinations?” No documents needed other than passports. 

On the way home yesterday, when we got to the booth, we had our ArriveCAN app filled out prior. Yes, it does ask you what countries you visited, and yes, we listed the US and the Bahamas. We also had in hand our PCR results (from Allure the day before), and our passports. They asked for our passports. First question was , “Where do you live?” Second question was, “How long were you away for?” Third question was, “What is the value of goods you are bringing in?” Fourth question was, “What is the value of the most expensive good?” Fifth question was, “Can I see your PCR results?” We gave him the paper copy.

After taking about 30 seconds or so to look at our results, he gave them back, handed back our passports, thanked us for completing our ArriveCAN app properly, and informed us that we had not been selected for random testing and we were on our way. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just got back from Allure yesterday and wanted to come here and document my experience. I have followed this thread closely over the last few weeks leading up to the cruise. Wanted to share what happened with us yesterday. 

We flew round trip from DTW-FLL, and we used the Ambassador Bridge to cross back and forth. On the way there, the only question asked was, “What was the last date of your second vaccinations?” No documents needed other than passports. 

On the way home yesterday, when we got to the booth, we had our ArriveCAN app filled out prior. Yes, it does ask you what countries you visited, and yes, we listed the US and the Bahamas. We also had in hand our PCR results (from Allure the day before), and our passports. They asked for our passports. First question was , “Where do you live?” Second question was, “How long were you away for?” Third question was, “What is the value of goods you are bringing in?” Fourth question was, “What is the value of the most expensive good?” Fifth question was, “Can I see your PCR results?” We gave him the paper copy.

After taking about 30 seconds or so to look at our results, he gave them back, handed back our passports, thanked us for completing our ArriveCAN app properly, and informed us that we had not been selected for random testing and we were on our way. 

Thank you for sharing.  Fingers crossed that this will be my experience in 9 days from now!

• Like 2