Rental Car Shuttles

Therese S.

Just made all my rental car reservations for our Hawaii cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Normally its a mad house at the ports with everyone trying to get on the car rental shuttles to the airport to pick up their car.  Was wondering how this might work with Covid or if the shuttles will even be running?  Has anyone rented a car at any port recently?  Were car rental shuttles running?  Did they limit how many people could be on the shuttle at one time to maintain social distancing? 

I might book some excursions as a backup just in case. 

Thanks

Maui now has a rail tram that takes arriving passengers from baggage claim to a central rental car multi level parking structure across from the airport terminal. So they don’t use shuttles however there might be a few off airport sites that still use shuttles. We use a shuttle van to our house & back to the airport & haven’t noticed a limit on passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I think the question is shuttles from the cruise port to the airport to pick up a car.  Keep in mind, that any car rental from a Hawaii airport will incur an extra fee.

Yes & I should have been clearer in my post.

In Maui there are no rental car shuttles at the airport because of the tram so they probably don’t have shuttles just for an occasional cruise ship docking to take passengers to on airport rental car facilities. There might be a couple of off airport sites that might shuttle cruise passengers to their rental car facilities. In Hilo & Kauai I don’t think they have a central rental car facility & would use shuttles for airport passengers that could also pick up cruise ship passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

32 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yes & I should have been clearer in my post.

In Maui there are no rental car shuttles at the airport because of the tram so they probably don’t have shuttles just for an occasional cruise ship docking to take passengers to on airport rental car facilities. There might be a couple of off airport sites that might shuttle cruise passengers to their rental car facilities. In Hilo & Kauai I don’t think they have a central rental car facility & would use shuttles for airport passengers that could also pick up cruise ship passengers.

Oh no I didn’t  know about the new airport tram to the car rental agencies.  I can see now that having a tram negates the need for each car rental company to have their own shuttles.  Guess it’s time to have my son show me how Uber works to be picked up at the Kahului port for a ride to Thrifty. This explains why when checking out the car rental rates at Costco, their travel website said no shuttles available.  

For my rentals in Hilo and Kauai, both pickups are at the airport.  I will need to call and see if thrifty and budget still have operating shuttles.  

33 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Honolulu just opened a new rental car port.  I am not sure if there are shuttles from the pier to the airport. Doubtful. 

There is at least one car rental location just a few blocks walk from where the ship docks in Honolulu.

And when we used them, they also had a shuttle for those few blocks if you wanted to avoid the walk.

9 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Oh no I didn’t  know about the new airport tram to the car rental agencies.  I can see now that having a tram negates the need for each car rental company to have their own shuttles.  Guess it’s time to have my son show me how Uber works to be picked up at the Kahului port for a ride to Thrifty. This explains why when checking out the car rental rates at Costco, their travel website said no shuttles available.  

For my rentals in Hilo and Kauai, both pickups are at the airport.  I will need to call and see if thrifty and budget still have operating shuttles.  

In Kahului Enterprise has an off airport location (40 Hāna Hwy) that’s a 0.5 miles walk from where the ship docks. Checking a daily rate for next month it’s about $150 (includes the nearly 25% in taxes & fees).

Every time in Hilo we’ve rented at the off airport Enterprise location on Kekuanaoa Street (Hwy 11) which provided a shuttle to their location a short distance away on the road going to Volcanoes National Park.

Due to reduced rental car capacity rates have skyrocketed in Hawaii since the pandemic began.

Info on the Kahului airport tram:

https://mauicarrental.com/airport-trolley-tram.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

In Kahului Enterprise has an off airport location (40 Hāna Hwy) that’s a 0.5 miles walk from where the ship docks. Checking a daily rate for next month it’s about $150 (includes the nearly 25% in taxes & fees).

Every time in Hilo we’ve rented at the off airport Enterprise location on Kekuanaoa Street (Hwy 11) which provided a shuttle to their location a short distance away on the road going to Volcanoes National Park.

Due to reduced rental car capacity rates have skyrocketed in Hawaii since the pandemic began.

Info on the Kahului airport tram:

https://mauicarrental.com/airport-trolley-tram.html

Thank you for the Enterprise information.  I wasn’t aware there are offsite non airport car rental locations.  I will definitely  check it out.   All previous Hawaii cruises we booked cars through Discount Hawaii Car Rentals.  Their rates were always competitive and no deposit or prior payment required.  My son vacationed in Maui, Kona and Oahu in July and rented cars through Toro, I’m not comfortable with that, though he said it was super easy.  

Depending on how difficult getting a car turns out to be, we might end up on Princess excursions which we really dislike being stuck on a large tour bus on someone else’s schedule.  

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 10:18 AM, caribill said:

There is at least one car rental location just a few blocks walk from where the ship docks in Honolulu.

And when we used them, they also had a shuttle for those few blocks if you wanted to avoid the walk.

do you know which one this is? I googled map and its a bit unclear who and where. I am willing to walk 15-20 minutes if the roads are safe and have walkways. Can you comment if you know thanks!

4 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

do you know which one this is? I googled map and its a bit unclear who and where. I am willing to walk 15-20 minutes if the roads are safe and have walkways. Can you comment if you know thanks!

Enterprise (I have not checked to see if they are still in business there)

Enterprise  677 Ala Moana Blvd  808-536-1555  open 7:30 AM-4:00 PM (possibly to 5:00 PM)

15 minute walk from Pier 11/12 (may have a shuttle at the pier)

It is located on a major street which has sidewalks and traffic lights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:15 PM, caribill said:

Enterprise (I have not checked to see if they are still in business there)

Enterprise  677 Ala Moana Blvd  808-536-1555  open 7:30 AM-4:00 PM (possibly to 5:00 PM)

15 minute walk from Pier 11/12 (may have a shuttle at the pier)

It is located on a major street which has sidewalks and traffic lights.

Says permanently closed 

any other car rentals near 2B terminal Honolulu?

1 hour ago, 007colocruz said:

Says permanently closed 

any other car rentals near 2B terminal Honolulu?

Sorry to hear that, as that was the only one I found in the area.

Getting to/from the airport to rent a car is a $50 cab ride each way. A bus ride is about $2, but takes significantly longer than a cab to get there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2021 at 3:21 AM, Therese S. said:

Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I'm booked with Thrifty at the Hilo airport. 

On 5/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, CruisinKikster said:

Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I'm booked with Thrifty at the Hilo airport. 

Sorry so late in responding, unfortunately due to an elderly mother in laws health and omicron we had to cancel our February Hawaiian cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, CruisinKikster said:

There were no shuttles. We used cabs for our May 14 cruise to collect rentals from the airport.

It was no biggie, maybe $15 each way.

• Like 1