New COVID check in procedure

zteamtwo

1 hour ago, zteamtwo said:

EVERYONE----I am on Riveria right now. The check in delays have nothing to do with PEOPLE ARRIVING EARLY!! The delays have to do with "Cueing theory" (Google it).  

Basically, it says that a line will only move as fast as its slowest element will allow. Here are the Covid check in elements we encountered (hope they change):

1. Someone checks your EUROFIN INFO--looks for barcode.  Lots of delays because "non IT people cannot find it".  Line starts to back up.

2.  Now go to a table and answer questions and get your "Bingo card" ( I call it that) with your 6 digit number.

3. Now wait in line for the actually testing. About 10-12 curtain areas.Again, delays.

4.  Now go and sit and wait in a crowded area and stare at 2 large screen TV's and wait for your "bingo" number to appear. This takes 10-20 minutes.

5.  Now, when your "bingo" number appears, go stand in another line and and get a wristband which allows you to enter the Oceania building.

6. You are now in the Oceania building and someone checks your passport.

7.  Now go thru security scanner.

8.  Now go to Oceania check in desk and get another picture taken (because that pic you took at home is not compatable with the new "face recoginition technology" on the ship). Pick up your room key card and get on ship.

As you can see, it is the delays in the cue, that forms the long lines. If you have mobility issues or cannot stand for a long time, you will not enjoy this.

There are approximately 4 hours to check in (11 am to 3 pm). So, Oceania has to process about 250+ people per hour----you do the logic!!

What was the

time spent from Step 1 until on the Ship and did you deviate from your scheduled check in time?  Thanks for the detailed update.  We are on a B2B pretty soon.

From our scheduled arrival time 11 am it took about 45-55 minutes for entire process. When we arrived at 11, there was probably 30-50 people ahead of us in line.  11 was our assigned time. How can people determine when they will arrive?  Flight delays, Uber delays, baggage delays, traffic delays, weather delays, hotel van delays, etc, etc.  Oceania has to get approximately 250+ people thu the Covid line each hour. It is a very slow process. Trust me. I am looking out for older people who cannot stand very long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, our selected/confirmed check-in time is 11:00 on Monday, so we should be fine. But just received from Carlos Ortega--I guess O don't play!

In order to provide for as smooth and efficient an embarkation process for all guests, we kindly request that you do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to your scheduled check-in time, which can be found on the boarding pass that was emailed to you. The reserved check in time slots were designed to allow the pre-embarkation testing and subsequent check in process to flow without crowding and minimal queueing in lines.

Should you arrive prior to the check in time selected and confirmed by you during the online check in process, you may not be admitted to the testing facility and you may be asked to either return to your vehicle or wait outside. As a reminder, guests may not enter the cruise terminal prior to the pre-embarkation testing and there are no outdoor seating areas.

We thank you in advance for your adherence to the staggered check in times and arriving at the time you selected during your online check in.

Edited by sofietucker

On 12/9/2021 at 10:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to follow the more-than-several CC threads that continue to discuss the testing. Also, it’s important to keep apace of the constantly updating SailSafe FAQs on the O website.

That said, O has started sending out very specific instructions to upcoming cruisers. Here’s part of what was recently sent to folks on Marina, Riviera and Insignia cruises embarking in December (and before you possibly join the ranks of those who need to post that the test is only “recommended,” read the last paragraph).

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

All guests will undergo COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation. In addition, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

Thank you, FF; as a “recovering” attorney, I look forward to getting a letter directly from Oceania before my cruise. Combing through a multitude of threads on various subjects for the latest nuggets is very time consuming and also not always definitive. Of course, the SailSafe information is helpful as well your patient posts.

Edited by CintiPam

Oceania could learn something from Celebrity. I boarded Millennium in Port Everglades on Nov. 29 for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. This was the procedure: go online and get a boarding time and boarding pass like the airlines have. Upload a picture of yourself and your vaccine card.  Get a covid test 2 days before sailing. Arrive at terminal at check in time. Present either a printed copy of test and vax card or from your phone. Into the building. Directed to be seated in groups according to boarding time. Group called, show boarding pass and get on ship. Cards in the cabin. Time from entering terminal to boarding 15 minutes.

I was impressed.

This cruise had almost the same itinerary and ports as the Dec. 3 Riviera so I don't know why Oceania had more restrictions and testing requirements than Celebrity. 

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Oceania could learn something from Celebrity. I boarded Millennium in Port Everglades on Nov. 29 for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. This was the procedure: go online and get a boarding time and boarding pass like the airlines have. Upload a picture of yourself and your vaccine card.  Get a covid test 2 days before sailing. Arrive at terminal at check in time. Present either a printed copy of test and vax card or from your phone. Into the building. Directed to be seated in groups according to boarding time. Group called, show boarding pass and get on ship. Cards in the cabin. Time from entering terminal to boarding 15 minutes.

I was impressed.

This cruise had almost the same itinerary and ports as the Dec. 3 Riviera so I don't know why Oceania had more restrictions and testing requirements than Celebrity. 

Because Oceania is far more cautious about Covid precautions than any other line. It started in February 2020 (I know because I was on Nautica).

I’m glad that O decided to keep dockside testing, at least until 1/17/22, in order to let lines like Celebrity be the “guinea pigs” with loosened restrictions far too early.

• Like 2

I think the embarkation process could speed up after January 17th when it changes from no-cost testing to charging a fee especially if the port of embarkation is outside the US.  When I read the Sail Safe notice, it sounds to me like they're encouraging us to be tested before we get to the terminal. 

French Polynesia requires a negative Covid test to enter the country and my test will still be within the 72 hours of when we board Oceania. I can use the same test for both requirements.  I won't be needing the test at the terminal and the same is probably true for many of my fellow passengers. I'm not anticipating a long line in Papeete. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I think the embarkation process could speed up after January 17th when it changes from no-cost testing to charging a fee especially if the port of embarkation is outside the US.  When I read the Sail Safe notice, it sounds to me like they're encouraging us to be tested before we get to the terminal. 

French Polynesia requires a negative Covid test to enter the country and my test will still be within the 72 hours of when we board Oceania. I can use the same test for both requirements.  I won't be needing the test at the terminal and the same is probably true for many of my fellow passengers. I'm not anticipating a long line in Papeete. 

Yes

14 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Thank you, FF; as a “recovering” attorney, I look forward to getting a letter directly from Oceania before my cruise. Combing through a multitude of threads on various subjects for the latest nuggets is very time consuming and also not always definitive. Of course, the SailSafe information is helpful as well your patient posts.

Please let us know if you get a letter.  I suspect the wait is on.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Because Oceania is far more cautious about Covid precautions than any other line. It started in February 2020 (I know because I was on Nautica).

I’m glad that O decided to keep dockside testing, at least until 1/17/22, in order to let lines like Celebrity be the “guinea pigs” with loosened restrictions far too early.

Celebrity pax who  test positive within the 2 days to board their cruise get a full refund. That way people aren't wasting money flying to Florida only to find out that cannot get on the ship. You can cancel up to 48 hours before and get a FCC. Celebrity doesn't need to do dockside testing since all pax have been tested 2 days before. I did not feel like a guinea pig. Also, unlike Oceania, passengers did not have to wear a mask onboard anywhere. A few people did and all staff and crew were in masks.

45 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Also, unlike Oceania, passengers did not have to wear a mask onboard anywhere. A few people did and all staff and crew were in masks.

Per Oceania's SailSafe regarding masks:

FACE COVERINGS

Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew and therefore face coverings are generally not required, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing. We will continue to update our face coverings policy as protocols evolve and change.

43 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Celebrity pax who  test positive within the 2 days to board their cruise get a full refund. That way people aren't wasting money flying to Florida only to find out that cannot get on the ship. You can cancel up to 48 hours before and get a FCC. Celebrity doesn't need to do dockside testing since all pax have been tested 2 days before. I did not feel like a guinea pig. Also, unlike Oceania, passengers did not have to wear a mask onboard anywhere. A few people did and all staff and crew were in masks.

Big deal(?).

If you read your O Ticket Contract and Sail Safe FAQs, you’d know that O will give you a full refund if you test positive for Covid within 2 WEEKS (not 2 days) of embarkation.

As for requiring a mask of passengers onboard: Thank God that O takes the greater precautions when needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Per Oceania's SailSafe regarding masks:

FACE COVERINGS

Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew and therefore face coverings are generally not required, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing. We will continue to update our face coverings policy as protocols evolve and change.

Since all of my cruise is in the EU I have to wear a mask the whole time. Since my final payment date has been pushed back to 60 days now, if this policy is still in place I will likely be cancelling. Having to wear a mask while at sea is utterly ridiculous and makes no sense. If a country/port requires it that's their prerogative, but once a ship leaves port the masks should come off.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since all of my cruise is in the EU I have to wear a mask the whole time. Since my final payment date has been pushed back to 60 days now, if this policy is still in place I will likely be cancelling. Having to wear a mask while at sea is utterly ridiculous and makes no sense. If a country/port requires it that's their prerogative, but once a ship leaves port the masks should come off.

Probably a good idea to think about canceling. The last thing most of us want is anyone “POed” about this reasonable/science-backed mask requirement who may then be tempted to selfishly disobey it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, susiesan said:

Just don't blame Oceania for local government requirements.  And there is a fair amount of scientific evidence that mask wearing mitigates the transmission of COVID.  Perhaps you would be better off cancelling now and save yourself the agony.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

Then don't sail on Oceania....you have been complaining about Oceania requirements for the past year!  Celebrity appears to have the lax requirements that fit your need and for the rest of us we are very happy with Oceania's requirements!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've come to the conclusion after hanging out in CC and on O topics, specifically,  for the longest duration (for me) that reading, writing and r-complaining are the triad to most CC denizens.  Some of us not so much on the reading,  but we sure know how to write (maybe not well) and complain (alot).  

I keep coming back, for the helpful advice and experience from folks.  However, I think we are close to reaching critical mass on O's current FAQ's and travel requirements questions and discussions based on a variation of:

I want a personal invitation to read the requirements.

Other cruise lines are doing this or that differently why do I have to do it O's way?  

Is it 3 days or 72 hours for pre-cruise testing on sailing in 2078 - yeah you "read" the correctly?

Do I reaaaaly have too, I dont wannnnaaaa!!!!

Sheesh there are too many requirement, so I'm not travelling but I still want to write and complain and rain on your parade if you are intrepid (or in my case probably dumb) enough to jump through every single hurdle placed in front of me like a pro track and field athlete (which I do not resemble...IRL, but this being the interwebs, why not, eh)

I am sure CC mayhem will ensue when O next updates the documents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/11/2021 at 1:37 PM, Homerody said:

Will do! Because both Flatbush Flyer and Host Jazzbeau are on the same January cruise, I am very optimistic that any such letter will be shared on the Oceania board. 😉

Edited by CintiPam

5 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Will do! Because both Flatbush Flyer and Host Jazzbeau are on the same January cruise, I am very optimistic that any such letter will be shared on the Oceania board. 😉

Oh yeah, @Flatbush Flyer and  @LHT28 have been invaluable resources as I was edu-ma-cating myself about all things O and booking my first O cruise.

And as a side point, obviously I have not met FlatbushFlyer, and do not necessarily agree with him on everything. Yet,  his feedback to my inquires has been right on target - even if it, at times,  comes with a bit of shall we say um, NY directness 😆.  And sometimes a bit of humor.  ( 👀 ) And at all times advocating reading, especially the gasp... fine print, contract etc...and being proactive. Actually the basics for being prepared for travel and whatever else comes my way.

And @LHT28's knowledge and approach to addressing inquires is indeed refreshing amid all the superfluous one encounters here.

And a tip of the hat to @pinotloverand @ORV too for their help along the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, Homerody said:

IMPORTANT EMBARKATION AND CHECK IN UPDATE

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We look forward to welcoming aboard INSIGNIA for your upcoming voyage that will embark on 21DEC2021. 

In order to provide for as smooth and efficient an embarkation process for all guests, we kindly request that you do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to your scheduled check-in time, which can be found on the boarding pass that was emailed to you. The reserved check in time slots were designed to allow the pre-embarkation testing and subsequent check in process to flow without crowding and minimal queueing in lines. 

Should you arrive prior to the check in time selected and confirmed by you during the online check in process, you may not be admitted to the testing facility and you may be asked to either return to your vehicle or wait outside. As a reminder, guests may not enter the cruise terminal prior to the pre-embarkation testing and there are no outdoor seating areas. 

We thank you in advance for your adherence to the staggered check in times and arriving at the time you selected during your online check in. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

1 hour ago, BarbaraM said:

IMPORTANT EMBARKATION AND CHECK IN UPDATE

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We look forward to welcoming aboard INSIGNIA for your upcoming voyage that will embark on 21DEC2021. 

I wish Carlos had someone to proofread his letters (probably doesn’t write them himself, but someone needs to do a better job proofreading). 

• Like 3