Can only one person buy a drink package in a room?

DrSea

I don't drink alcohol or soda. But my friend who I am cruising with. Can my friend just buy the drink package? Or if they add it, does everyone in the room have to add the drink package?

I haven't sailed with RCI in years, but recently the prices are very attractive.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, cruzvaca said:

You must call to do this. They allow one person to purchase the deluxe drink package but the other person needs to purchase the refreshment package. I recently did this for my up coming cruise.

In order to do this, there needs to be a medical reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Just because you weren't asked, doesn't mean that it wasn't the intent.

I specifically use the phrase "my wife doesn't drink alcohol by choice" and they always let me by the refreshment package for her.  Have been doing this for a few years now and been upfront about it everytime.  

Only time you would need a doctor's note is if you were trying to not purchase a package at all for the second person.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruzvaca said:

You must call to do this. They allow one person to purchase the deluxe drink package but the other person needs to purchase the refreshment package. I recently did this for my up coming cruise.

Ditto.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, iahawkfan21 said:

Only time you would need a doctor's note is if you were trying to not purchase a package at all for the second person.

Good to know.

I may have to write a note for myself excusing myself from a drink package.

14 hours ago, iahawkfan21 said:

It is getting beyond the pale stupid how frequently various people or entities want a "doctors note" for things that should have nothing to do with one's personal healthcare. Do people really think providers are keen on writing all these nonsense notes only to have their own liability at stake over things as trivial as a beverage package?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

It is getting beyond the pale stupid how frequently various people or entities want a "doctors note" for things that should have nothing to do with one's personal healthcare. Do people really think providers are keen on writing all these nonsense notes only to have their own liability at stake over things as trivial as a beverage package?

You have no idea the things people have asked a note from me for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, DrSea said:

I don't drink alcohol or soda. But my friend who I am cruising with. Can my friend just buy the drink package? Or if they add it, does everyone in the room have to add the drink package?

I haven't sailed with RCI in years, but recently the prices are very attractive.

Thanks.

My hubby doesn't drink alcohol but I enjoy my foo foo drinks while sailing, along with nice wine at dinner.  We are sailing in February.  I called RCI customer service and purchased the Deluxe Refreshment package for me and the Refreshment Package for him.  No explanation needed other than saying hubby doesn't drink alcoholic beverages.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

I had no luck trying to get one deluxe and one refreshment package.  Told I needed a doctor's letter and that I would have to provide that.  Did a 20 mile round trip to pick up a hard copy of a letter (they stated it had to be an actual letter not just an electronic version).  Called back and got transferred to the Resolution department where they had to check again with a supervisor.  Then told any second package would do, even a water package.  Oh, and they didn't need to see the letter I had to jump through hoops to get, wasting both my time and the doctors time.  

• Like 2

Just write the letter yourself and sign any TV doctor from the 60's or 70's name.  Nobody is going to check or follow up. If they were serious they would want an electronic copy from the office email and not a handwritten note.  I have also heard of people purchasing a drink package on board and were never asked about anyone traveling with them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Just write the letter yourself and sign any TV doctor from the 60's or 70's name.  Nobody is going to check or follow up. 

I happen to have an exemption letter personally signed by Marcus Welby MD. Who in the RC customer service department is going to question THAT?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, luckybecky said:

I happen to have an exemption letter personally signed by Marcus Welby MD. Who in the RC customer service department is going to question THAT?!

They are too young to know who Marcus Welby MD is and they probably never heard of Robert Young.  Dr. Meredith Grey would have raised a red flag.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Just write the letter yourself and sign any TV doctor from the 60's or 70's name.  Nobody is going to check or follow up. If they were serious they would want an electronic copy from the office email and not a handwritten note.  I have also heard of people purchasing a drink package on board and were never asked about anyone traveling with them.

Dangerfields Dr Vinnie Boombatz or Carson’s Dr Bendova would work well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's about time RC changes this up. If only one person in the room wants a drink package, the others shouldn't be forced to buy something. I'd bet the number of people who'd abuse the solo drink package would be tiny.

Then again forcing others to get the refreshment package is a convenient way for revenue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It's about time RC changes this up. If only one person in the room wants a drink package, the others shouldn't be forced to buy something. I'd bet the number of people who'd abuse the solo drink package would be tiny.

Then again forcing others to get the refreshment package is a convenient way for revenue

Nope,  it used to be that way when we first started cruising, and the number abusing the drink package was huge!  Including the number that bragged about it on here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Nope,  it used to be that way when we first started cruising, and the number abusing the drink package was huge!  Including the number that bragged about it on here.

Yep, clearly it was a case of the bad apples ruining it for everyone

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Purchasing onboard already includes the “pricing bonus” in favor of Royal. 

• Like 1