Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

3 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

Nobody from NCL said anything about people being tested positive. 

I don't believe it has ever been required or typical for cruise lines to inform anyone except identified close contacts that cases have been detected on a ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

I don't believe it has ever been required or typical for cruise lines to inform anyone except identified close contacts that cases have been detected on a ship.

I'm not saying it is required, but on at least on RCL and Celebrity sailing the captain announced that X passengers tested positive and asked that everyone be extra vigilant. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'll fire some questions out there.  Answer the ones you want or can.  I fully understand that some you're not going to be able to answer.  Thanks in advance for all you help.  Here goes:

* Was the pre-disembarkation test antigen or PCR?

* Did NCL offer any compensation, FCC, or a future cruise discount to you guys?

* Do you know how many crew were infected vs. how many passengers?

* Were any of the COVID-19+ passengers left on the ship?

* When did the Louisiana Dept. of Health suggest you test after the cruise?

* Do you know of any passengers who got trapped because they didn't drive to the port and couldn't take any public transporation?

That's all for now.  Thanks again!

A news story referenced earlier in this thread has already stated that Norwegian is providing accommodations for those who can’t travel. Out of the number of positive tests, I’d expect at least one did not drive to the port. If so, perhaps someone  will respond in the days ahead. There are plenty of people who’d like to know how the process works.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

^^This, plus it's really smart business.

I'm not saying it's bad business, but if it were smart business the quarterly financials would reflect that. Instead, NCL stock is falling at a pace more rapidly than the competition. NCL released their Q3 quarterlies in early November and as of last Friday the stock has dropped by 37%!!!  During the same time period CCL and RCL both dropped approximately 30%. They are all taking a beating right now, but NCL is currently the weakest performer post-covid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The fact that is upsetting to me is how ncl lied to the passengers asking why everyone had to be tested on Saturday.  Saying it was a new cdc requirement instead of telling people the real reason is Wrong!

They needed to be upfront, not hide and make up a lie!!!!

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

Yes, spreading misinformation is never appropriate, even if it is to save face.

Just musing here . . . 
It seems to me that it’s likely that CDC did say to test everyone on board. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not saying it's bad business, but if it were smart business the quarterly financials would reflect that.

There are many more factors that affect stock prices than strength of corporate marketing.  My point is that requiring 100% vaccinations is very appealing to a broad base of cruisers who want to not only minimize health risks but also maximize vacation enjoyment.  We'll never know, but it is probable that NCL would be having an even harder time attracting passengers if they allowed the unvaccinated and required masks.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There are many more factors that affect stock prices than strength of corporate marketing.  My point is that requiring 100% vaccinations is very appealing to a broad base of cruisers who want to not only minimize health risks but also maximize vacation enjoyment.  We'll never know, but it is probable that NCL would be having an even harder time attracting passengers if they allowed the unvaccinated and required masks.

Agreed, we chose NCL because of their vax and no mask policy.  We usually lean more toward RCL.  Now i will say that if they start requiring masks, we will be disappointed, but definitely wont cancel our cruise. Although we arent huge fans of masks, we are pretty use to them by now... 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We'll never know, but it is probable that NCL would be having an even harder time attracting passengers if they allowed the unvaccinated and required masks.

Absolutely. We should also note that it could also go the other way with more passengers (particularly those with young children) choosing to sail with NCL if they didn't require 100% vaccination. And dare I suggest that some people actually want to sail on a cruise requiring masks (I'm not one of them, but you do still hear lots of chatter about wanting everyone to mask up). 

But I do agree that it is likely we will never be able to tease out each variable.

The one thing that is not up for debate is the fact that NCL is under-preforming the competition on Wall street. This is never a good sign.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, misslab said:

Norwegian stock is up 12.5% so far today...

Yes, it's a nice day for the entire Leisure market. RCL is up 11% and CCL is up 10%. Airline stocks are pushing 10% also. The leisure market took a huge beating with omicron so today is a recovery day. Here is a chart comparing all three over the last month. 

image.thumb.png.4a66c905e9620970ccf6454bb62e44ac.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I know, it just stinks. You lose the good ports and get the worse ones. I have really found nothing in HC and Costa Maya worth doing. I guess I need to research more just in case something similar happens.

Costa Maya is a wonderful port ... Roatan, not so much.  To each his own, I guess. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Just musing here . . . 
It seems to me that it’s likely that CDC did say to test everyone on board. 

Yes I'm sure their CSO with cdc requires them to test all passengers when a certain amount of positive cases arise but the fact still remains that Ncl was not upfront and honest in telling their passengers that xx amount of positive cases onboard that required them to test everybody per cdc order.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I'm sure their CSO with cdc requires them to test all passengers when a certain amount of positive cases arise but the fact still remains that Ncl was not upfront and honest in telling their passengers that xx amount of positive cases onboard that required them to test everybody per cdc order.

NCL will tell people whatever their high priced corporate lawyers advise.  It's not a matter of being "upfront and honest."  It's business.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GonzoWCS said:

"Norwegian Cruise Line requires all guests to be fully vaccinated and to undergo Covid-19 tests within 48 hours of their sailings. Up to this point, masks were not required. It was not clear if the incident on Norwegian Breakaway would lead to changes on other sailings."

Will be interesting to see if this impacts their entire mask policy. 

13 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

"Norwegian Cruise Line requires all guests to be fully vaccinated and to undergo Covid-19 tests within 48 hours of their sailings. Up to this point, masks were not required. It was not clear if the incident on Norwegian Breakaway would lead to changes on other sailings."

Will be interesting to see if this impacts their entire mask policy. 

This is like the main stream media. Take text out of context to try and get a reaction. It article said "The cruise line immediately instituted new rules for guests who opted to board the ship on the next sailing, which embarked Sunday, Dec. 5." It would make sense that with the potential of crew and B2B guests carrying the virus, that masks on the next cruise would include additional risk mitigation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This is like the main stream media. Take text out of context to try and get a reaction. It article said "The cruise line immediately instituted new rules for guests who opted to board the ship on the next sailing, which embarked Sunday, Dec. 5." It would make sense that with the potential of crew and B2B guests carrying the virus, that masks on the next cruise would include additional risk mitigation. 

I agree with you. My post was not meant to take anything out of context but rather to provide an excerpt from the link that was posted above as there has been speculation on whether NCL would alter its mask policy. As of today, it appears that they haven't.

Edited by Stevie17

Couple of points.

1. Omicron 

The fact that there was only one Omicron case and it was a crew member is pretty alarming . Crew is not allowed to leave the ship now, so unless that person just arrived from Africa ( that would be extremely unusual and mentioned in the news), he or she got it from a passenger. But since none of passengers got Omicron it must be the previous cruise ( I was there BTW), meaning omicron is circulating in the US for quite time.

Also it means there were at least 2 sources of contagion.

2. During the entire cruise I had 3 moments when I felt unsafe:

- Covid test at Marriott. Long line then waiting for results in a packed conference room with fairly low ceiling ( read less air) and eventually some positive people.

- NCL provided excursion in Roatan: 25 people in an old unventilated (doubt the AC has a decent filter) small bus riding 40 min each way + sitting additional 20 min before.

- Disembarkation at NOLA. I went when our tag color was called ( one in the middle) and there was a HUGE line to disembark that took one hour.

No physical  distance in the line.

Other than that there was plenty of space and distance in most places. The tables at the dining room are well spaced, the theaters were half empty (and yes we attended some shows twice).

3. NCL could drastically reduce the risk by moving the sailing date from Sunday to Saturday. What happens now: many passengers leave their homes Friday night or Saturday morning  after the work week, drive or fly to NO and spend Saturday night on Bourbon street. NO and LA may have the strictest rules regarding masks and vaccines at restaurants ( do they?) but the amount of people on Bourbon street is the that before pandemic. And it’s a good thing for me: people has to enjoy life. But from the cruise prospective it would be nice to move the Bourbon street Saturday night from pre-Cruise to post-Cruise. FDR, I’m giving you the idea for free ( but I’ll accept some FCC).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

Sailing to Roatan now..  so skipping Cozumel and likely shortening Roatan. 

Correct.....we are sailing to Roatan now.

Incorrect......we are not skipping Cozumel....we are going as planned. 

The port we are skipping is Costa Maya.

Relax folks.....have fun and don't spread disinformation!

• Like 9