Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

I read an interesting online news article this morning that says they are seeing it taking more than a week before someone infected shows symptoms for new variant.  

Of course I know you cannot believe everything you read online all we can do is wait and see and be proactive as best as possible. 

I think Delta was taking 3 to 5 days.

Here's a news report that I didn't think was too biased or hysterical.  It weights in about 2 1/2 minutes.  It has some disembarking passenger interviews, details on the new itinerary, a bit about the new masking rule onboard, and a few details on what NCL offered the passengers who boarded:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXX16eDw8bs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Here's a news report that I didn't think was too biased or hysterical.  It weights in about 2 1/2 minutes.  It has some disembarking passenger interviews, details on the new itinerary, a bit about the new masking rule onboard, and a few details on what NCL offered the passengers who boarded:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXX16eDw8bs

Thank you for sharing this link. 

There have been ships sailing with WAY more than 17 people testing positive. I'm not sure why the Breakaway has made the news other than one case of Omicron in a crew member. 

The Breakaway has been coded yellow since the Halloween cruise when Covid was onboard and resulted in over 60 passengers being quarantined for close contacts. Yesterday's events seem quite odd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for sharing this link. 

There have been ships sailing with WAY more than 17 people testing positive. I'm not sure why the Breakaway has made the news other than one case of Omicron in a crew member. 

The Breakaway has been coded yellow since the Halloween cruise when Covid was onboard and resulted in over 60 passengers being quarantined for close contacts. Yesterday's events seem quite odd. 

Maybe it was the port of New Orleans that was requiring more stringent testing and CDC involvement .  As a result of that,  possibly why it got more press.

Or, it was a slow news day!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Maybe it was the port of New Orleans that was requiring more stringent testing and CDC involvement .  As a result of that,  possibly why it got more press.

I would say:

- Slow news day
- Trying to capitalize on the Omicron buzz
- Not many COVID on cruise ships stories lately.  

• Like 6

Just off RC.  We hated the mask requirement. We never realized how much you move between inside and outside navigating the ship.  We specifically booked NCL at Christmas for no masks. I’m going to be very upset if that gets changed with no ability to cancel.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I believe this was the third sailing that the Breakaway did from New Orleans so I don't think it had anything specific to do with New Orleans. The Breakaway was coded yellow when it arrived in New Orleans 3 sailings ago.

I'm thinking Omicron was the buzz word that got the press involved. There are a number of people who are really really frightened by the Omicron news. Did you notice the female reporters reaction when she realized that the crew member with Omicron is still onboard and passengers still chose to embark? 

Those on Breakaway now are going to be tested twice during this 7 day cruise. I tend to believe there will be many more who test positive as a result. I'm purely speculating of course, but this could end up being a significant news story by the time they return to NO next Sunday. At this point, I'm surprised they are being let off the ship in any port. 

• Like 2

We just got off the Breakaway. Prior to the testing requirements on Friday one of the bartenders told us that a couple of crew members were in quarantine without symptoms. This was on Thursday. On Friday it was announced that all passengers were ordered to be tested by the CDC. This was probably due to the fact that crew members were in quarantine. The testing went fast and smooth. The disembarkation took longer than normal with a few glitches but we were off the ship within an hour. Everybody was given a BinaxNOW by the port authority to test at home. 
According to news reports there were 3200 passengers on board , not true. According to officers and crew members there were less than 1600 passengers and a full crew. All venues were less than half full, the pool deck always had at least fifty percent of the lounge chairs empty, elevators never had more than three or four people at a time and most of the time there was nobody on them. The Manhattan dining room at dinner was at least two thirds empty. All of the eating venues were about the same. The only restaurant that was half full was the Haven. Food was excellent. All of the crew wore masks and we never saw them removed for any reason. They asked you to wash your hands and sanitize but we never heard washie washie. 
if there are any questions I will try to answer them if I can. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14

4 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

We just got off the Breakaway. Prior to the testing requirements on Friday one of the bartenders told us that a couple of crew members were in quarantine without symptoms. This was on Thursday. On Friday it was announced that all passengers were ordered to be tested by the CDC. This was probably due to the fact that crew members were in quarantine. The testing went fast and smooth. The disembarkation took longer than normal with a few glitches but we were off the ship within an hour. Everybody was given a BinaxNOW by the port authority to test at home. 
According to news reports there were 3200 passengers on board , not true. According to officers and crew members there were less than 1600 passengers and a full crew. All venues were less than half full, the pool deck always had at least fifty percent of the lounge chairs empty, elevators never had more than three or four people at a time and most of the time there was nobody on them. The Manhattan dining room at dinner was at least two thirds empty. All of the eating venues were about the same. The only restaurant that was half full was the Haven. Food was excellent. All of the crew wore masks and we never saw them removed for any reason. They asked you to wash your hands and sanitize but we never heard washie washie. 

Finally a sensible  not negative  honest report. So sick of all the people who post here and think they know everything and do nothing but complain and dispense false news.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'll fire some questions out there.  Answer the ones you want or can.  I fully understand that some you're not going to be able to answer.  Thanks in advance for all you help.  Here goes:

* Was the pre-disembarkation test antigen or PCR?

* Did NCL offer any compensation, FCC, or a future cruise discount to you guys?

* Do you know how many crew were infected vs. how many passengers?

* Were any of the COVID-19+ passengers left on the ship?

* When did the Louisiana Dept. of Health suggest you test after the cruise?

* Do you know of any passengers who got trapped because they didn't drive to the port and couldn't take any public transporation?

That's all for now.  Thanks again!

7 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I hope the port to cut short would be Harvest Caye and the one to skip is Costa Maya. Too much good snorkeling opportunities from Cozumel and Roatan. It would be horrible to miss those two stops of HC and CM.

Just to show how different people are the only two ports I have plans in are Harvest Caye, with our booked Villa and we have a private shore excursions to Maya Chan in Costa Maya, been to Cozumel and Roatan more times than I can count and plan to stay  on board the ship those days. Also eliminating less chance of covid exposure. Especially Harvest Caye since it is just NCL folks.  Knowing that Harvest Caye is NCL that will be the last one to be dropped. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

My biggest question is whether or not you were informed on the ship- officially, not by offhandedly chatting with a crew member- that someone onboard had tested positive.  Some people are saying they were never informed and only found out when they got off the ship.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

Thanks for some first hand information

Cheers

2 minutes ago, DaggoB said:

Questions from Honolulu Blue

PCR

None

Four for sure

Do not know

while on our way out of the terminal to the bus going to the airport

Do not know

Thanks.  When you say four, do you mean four passengers, four crew, or both four passengers AND four crew??

15 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

Why exactly is NCL limiting cruising to only fully vaccinated people?

It's a corporate decision that NCL made.  The company decided that for everyone's (passenger and crew) health and safety, that they would limit boarding to fully vaccinated passengers and crew.  You may remember that NCL took on DeSantis in Florida when the state threatened $5000 fines for even asking about vaccine status for boarding a cruise ship.

Also, all the Alaska bound ships out of Seattle (NCL, HAL, PCL, X, RCI, and Carnival) all required passengers to be fully vaccinated.  This was a condition that WA, Alaska and the  Port of Seattle all made to keep state residents safe.  It worked out pretty well and saved at least half of the seasons' cruises.

• Like 3