Discounted upgrade?

WJBonds

Hi everyone and thanks...

I just noticed that on my upcoming cruise there was good availability for all PH categories.  All concierge level cabins are listed as waitlist only.  My question.  Will Regent ever offer these PH cabins at a discounted price (or even free) to those who are fully paid but in a lower cabin category?

Another pre-COVID situation which, finally, translated into the current COVID environment:  

Two years ago, our TA gave us the heads-up on Regent's forthcoming promotional offer to upgrade our existing Concierge booking to a Penthouse C on the then-Mariner October-November 2021 TA Barcelona to Miami segment.  Jumped on it. 

No increased cost.    

With passage of time, Regent canceled that Mariner segment due to COVID--but transferred the sailing with similar start and stop times and ports-of-call to Explorer.  Our upgrade carried-over.  Final result was another, albeit small, upgrade to a Penthouse B. 

This was a real benefit, as Explorer Penthouse Suites--A though C--are about 100 square feet larger in interior space than those on Mariner.  Certainly enjoyed that recently-completed fully-staffed cruise. 

Such a scenario is not-likely to be repeated due to so-many accumulated FCCs needing to be used up; and ships sailing with reduced capacity.  Our Explorer segment had about 465 passengers vs. the potential complement of 750. 

GOARMY!    

• Like 1

On our very first Regent cruise, from Vancouver to Seward, we booked a Deluxe Veranda Suite on Mariner. On arrival in Vancouver, after 2 hours going through C&I, we were denied access to the Regent bus since we weren't Concierge or higher. We paid 35 dollars plus tip to take a taxi to the same intersection that the bus was headed for. We paid over 400 dollars US for our hotel room which we had booked in advance. It included breakfast, and valet luggage service to the ship. We had to wait for the room we booked, which was water view (and the fires near by prevented any view), but was nothing special. We said we were fine and we would be having lunch in the waterfront bar/restaurant.  We we returned to the desk several hours later, they said we had been upgraded to a 1 bedroom 1 1/2 bath suite, on an upper floor. It was huge, and we were happy. The next morning, after our included breakfast, and after our tagged luggage had been taken to the ship, our TA called us and told us we had been upgraded to a penthouse (no cabin number available). Fearing it was the worst possible location, and that our luggage would be sent to our original cabin, we turned it down.

We don't regret it, but we've never been offered an upgrade again, free or otherwise.

tripperva:  

Bear in mind what 100% capacity might mean in this Age of COVID.  

Example:  Aboard Explorer's October 31st-November 14th TA, Barcelona-Miami segment.  Noted no direct access on Deck 6 to the aft Exercise Area.  The most-aft Suites were blocked off.   Very definitive "NO ACCESS" signs posted.  This affected Suites 670 through 683.  Total: 15 Suites.

Surmised:  Just-in-Case Restricted Area set-aside should it be needed to house any Positive COVID Staff/Passengers.  None on our cruise.  

Easy solution for us was to walk through Deck 5's Spa to rear staircase.  Walk up same to Deck 6 and entrance to Exercise area.  

Of course, do not know if this situation has been maintained on subsequent Explorer segments.  Others with very-recent experience might comment.  At most--this situation, if ongoing, would reduce 100% capacity to about 720.  Not that big of a deal.   

GOARMY!

9 hours ago, GOARMY said:

tripperva:  

Bear in mind what 100% capacity might mean in this Age of COVID.  

Example:  Aboard Explorer's October 31st-November 14th TA, Barcelona-Miami segment.  Noted no direct access on Deck 6 to the aft Exercise Area.  The most-aft Suites were blocked off.   Very definitive "NO ACCESS" signs posted.  This affected Suites 670 through 683.  Total: 15 Suites.

Surmised:  Just-in-Case Restricted Area set-aside should it be needed to house any Positive COVID Staff/Passengers.  None on our cruise.  

Easy solution for us was to walk through Deck 5's Spa to rear staircase.  Walk up same to Deck 6 and entrance to Exercise area.  

Of course, do not know if this situation has been maintained on subsequent Explorer segments.  Others with very-recent experience might comment.  At most--this situation, if ongoing, would reduce 100% capacity to about 720.  Not that big of a deal.   

GOARMY!

I was on the next cruise after the crossing. They were not blocked off on that cruise.

For those who followed along.  My question was answered today.  A letter from Regent to my TA offered me a 50% discount on a choice of PH category suites.  I immediately took the offer.  Others I am traveling with did not and I suspect that they are waiting for a better deal...