Catalina Island port, are 6yr old unvaccinated allowed to free roam onshore with vaccinated parents?

fuc847

4 minutes ago, fuc847 said:

we're doing ensenada and i think i'm reading that the only way 6yr old unvaccinated can go onshore is with RCCL's private tours. what about catalina?

Yes RCI rules, no vax no on your own, as it should be.  6 yr old can be vaccinated.

• Like 1

There are no California rules that say your 6 year old can't get off with you to wander around on Catalina Island. There are plenty of unvaccinated 6 year olds wandering around. :classic_biggrin: I don't know what the ship rules are, or what the current rules are for Mexico. 

this is straight from rccl's site :

"Tours Required for Families With Unvaccinated Children
Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore in ports of call. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, Labadee and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port."

reference: Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

28 minutes ago, fuc847 said:

this is straight from rccl's site :

"Tours Required for Families With Unvaccinated Children
Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore in ports of call. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, Labadee and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port."

reference: Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Then I think they just haven't updated it, because Catalina Island in California is no different than Port Canaveral in Florida. They are both US ports which do not require bubble tours for families. 

And Catalina is like 20 miles away from San Pedro. People board in San Pedro, sail around in circles all night and take a very large tender to Catalina in the morning. California is highly vaccinated. There is no reason that everyone shouldn't be able to get off.  

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuc847 said:

we're doing ensenada and i think i'm reading that the only way 6yr old unvaccinated can go onshore is with RCCL's private tours. what about catalina?

Same with Catalina.  We were on the Navigator last week, and a family with young children, who did not know or weren't aware of the RCCL policy, and was not allowed to tender to Catalina.  The Security Officer told them that families with unvaccinated children must be on a RCCL shore excursion.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Same with Catalina.  We were on the Navigator last week, and a family with young children, who did not know or weren't aware of the RCCL policy, and was not allowed to tender to Catalina.  The Security Officer told them that families with unvaccinated children must be on a RCCL shore excursion.

Thanks for confirming with your anecdote, that helps and confirms that the rule will be enforced.  i guess that is an interesting rationale someone above said, since locals can just boat to Catalina with their unvaccinated kids. but i guess cruises guests are different because the cruiseline is liable. understandable.