Best port for Pharmacy's??

mpdog42

There are several pharmacies near the tender dock in Cabo, but I have a general distrust of Mexican pharmacies.  I have had too many  experiences with medicines that do not seem to be effective.

I would suggest that Walmart, just across from the dock in Puerta Vallarta, might be the safest bet.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Mike45LC said:

There are several pharmacies near the tender dock in Cabo, but I have a general distrust of Mexican pharmacies.  I have had too many  experiences with medicines that do not seem to be effective.

I would suggest that Walmart, just across from the dock in Puerta Vallarta, might be the safest bet.

Thanks!!

I have a general distrust of Mexican pharmacies

The tourist pharmacies are definitely suspect in terms of drugs.  I wouldn't buy from any mom and pop pharmacist selling exclusively to tourists.  Who knows the quality of what is being sold?

I would suggest that Walmart

In addition to Walmart, I would trust some of the major Mexican chains as well or pharmacies inside major retailers.

I do agree the PV Walmart is very convenient for cruisers.  Expect that legitimate pharmacies will expect to see a prescription written by a doctor and most likely a Mexican one.  I know that some Mexican Pharmacies have a doctor willing to do a consult on site, but I don't know about Walmart per say. 

Edited by SelectSys

26 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Expect that legitimate pharmacies will expect to see a prescription written by a doctor and most likely a Mexican one.  I know that some Mexican Pharmacies have a doctor willing to do a consult on site, but I don't know about Walmart per say. 

I have bought antibiotics from a Mexican pharmacy that required a doctor's prescription, and it conveniently had a doctor available.  Unfortunately, the medicine seems to have been worthless (expired or fake), and all the doctor did was present an air of legitimacy and increased the price!  

So I will stick with the pharmacy in Walmart (or, as you say, another major retailer).

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:22 AM, mpdog42 said:

I tend to get sinus infections when i fly in the winter for a cruise, so i was looking for a good place to buy Amoxicilian in case...

Talk to your health care provider at home and get your prescription filled before you leave.

Too many stories about fake and expired medication in Mexico.

An infection is nothing to fool around with.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ashland said:

Talk to your health care provider at home and get your prescription filled before you leave.

Too many stories about fake and expired medication in Mexico.

An infection is nothing to fool around with.

I am in your camp.  I would only buy drugs in Mexico if I lived in Mexico.  I might feel differently if my drug costs were unaffordable to me, but fortunately they aren't.

• 1 month later...

And I am the opposite, I always bring drugs from Mexico.  Ibuprofen, Amoxicillin, Prednisone, and Albuterol, and have never had any issues with them and they seem to work fine.  My wife is a nurse at a hospital and had some lab friends test them and everything came back legit.  Yes you may have the occasional bad pharmacy down there, but you can easily find where the locals go and visit there.

4 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

And I am the opposite, I always bring drugs from Mexico.  Ibuprofen, Amoxicillin, Prednisone, and Albuterol, and have never had any issues with them and they seem to work fine.  My wife is a nurse at a hospital and had some lab friends test them and everything came back legit.  Yes you may have the occasional bad pharmacy down there, but you can easily find where the locals go and visit there.

You're very lucky....most of us don't have access to a lab to test our drugs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, vwrestler171 said:

but you can easily find where the locals go and visit there.

That is key - avoid tourist pharmacies and you will be ok.  I would also review CPB rules on permissible imports of medicine.  It's a low probability event, but I wouldn't want to get a "strike" on my global entry card being found bringing back inadmissible drugs.

Edited by SelectSys

On 1/20/2022 at 8:46 PM, SelectSys said:

That is key - avoid tourist pharmacies and you will be ok.  I would also review CPB rules on permissible imports of medicine.  It's a low probability event, but I wouldn't want to get a "strike" on my global entry card being found bringing back inadmissible drugs.

You can bring enough for a personal supply back.  Been going across the border from Yuma, AZ to Algadones, Mexico.  Just not going down there this year.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, vwrestler171 said:

I find this interesting.  I am a lab tech in a hospital and we definitely don’t have the equipment or knowledge to test drugs.  I wonder what they did?  Maybe mass spectrometry?  That would make sense but my lab is too small for that equipment.

We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year and sometimes need to buy drugs here.  Our "go to" pharmacy is at Costco (their prices are among the best) and we would have no issue using Walmart's pharmacy,   There are several Guadalajara Pharmacies in the area and we trust them to properly fill a prescription.   Some drugs are available at somewhat different sizes (mgs of the active ingredient) so folks should be aware.  DW just needed (yesterday) to get an antihypertensive drug and Costco only had it with a formula that is double her normal dose.  Fortunately those pills can be cut in half (that is not always the case with drugs).

I will admit to being intrigued that a poster talks about buying ibuprofen in Mexico.  Why?  That drug is readily available at US Big Box stores at very inexpensive prices.  We have also found that many prescription drugs are less expensive in the States if one shops around among various pharmacies.

Hank

I can only say that we have seen some signs (outside a few pharmacies that list various drugs) that include Retin-A.  In Puerto Vallarta you are likely to find that particular drug but might not find the specific Brand Name that you seek.  I have no clue as to the price here in PV. 

Hank

10 hours ago, Dvrgrl38 said:

I find this interesting.  I am a lab tech in a hospital and we definitely don’t have the equipment or knowledge to test drugs.  I wonder what they did?  Maybe mass spectrometry?  That would make sense but my lab is too small for that equipment.

I'll have to ask her when she gets home.  She works for one of the major hospitals in our area, however, they are also next to a major medical school so it might be friends that work there that do it for her.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...