Costa Maya added to itenerary

zwallace

We got an email from Celebrity stating they had added Costa Maya to our cruise in January after dropping Key West and Grand Cayman.  Haven't been to Costa Maya in over 15 years.  Any recommendations as to what to do or see there?

As you can see from the link to the Costa Maya board, beach clubs are popular for this port. I recommend Krazy Lobster. Great service, great beach, free chairs, natural shade. Taxis are outside the "port" area just past the back parking lot. Used to be $3 pp to the town of  Mahajual, about 5 miles away, where most beach clubs are located. Taxis abound for return trip which, for some reason used to be $2 per person. Lots of folks like Maya Chan, which  will cost more thank taking a taxi into town. I have never been there, so can't speak from experience, but I have read MANY reviews which nearly always mention the water there is not clear. Water at the Mahajual beach clubs is very clear. We have been there many times over several years and it is one of our very favorite beaches. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

As you can see from the link to the Costa Maya board, beach clubs are popular for this port. I recommend Krazy Lobster. Great service, great beach, free chairs, natural shade. Taxis are outside the "port" area just past the back parking lot. Used to be $3 pp to the town of  Mahajual, about 5 miles away, where most beach clubs are located. Taxis abound for return trip which, for some reason used to be $2 per person. Lots of folks like Maya Chan, which  will cost more thank taking a taxi into town. I have never been there, so can't speak from experience, but I have read MANY reviews which nearly always mention the water there is not clear. Water at the Mahajual beach clubs is very clear. We have been there many times over several years and it is one of our very favorite beaches. 

Agree with your post and have been to several beach clubs in Mahahual and Maya Chan. Have enjoyed both depending on our budget on any given day. I think taxis are now a standard rate of $8 per taxi for up to 4 people each way. Recent reports the trolley into town isn’t running.

Slight correction, Maya Chan nearly always has seagrass (part of the eco system) - but complaints are mainly about sargassum which is seasonal, decomposes, smells and can pile up. Maya Chan does its best to clear it but sometimes it is overwhelming as to the rate it comes in. It can be completely clear - it can be a mess. Mahahual has in the past been affected just as badly but in the main town offshore baffles and nets have been erected which appear to be working quite well recently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zwallace said:

We got an email from Celebrity stating they had added Costa Maya to our cruise in January after dropping Key West and Grand Cayman.  Haven't been to Costa Maya in over 15 years.  Any recommendations as to what to do or see there?

What ship is your cruise on?

@lynncarolwhich ship were you on that had the Chacchoben Mayan tour? What type of vehicle was it? (large bus, small van, etc.)  We are on RCCL Liberty of the Seas in mid-January and are also looking to do ship excursions.  One of the Chacchoben tours has a weight limit of 260 pounds, which I found odd for a driving tour.  But then I thought maybe it was because they didn't want super-heavy people walking up the ruins???  Anyway, if you have additional details, I'd appreciate it.  

Just visited Costa Maya. Knowing the port would be crowded, we booked Hotel Maya Luna day passes. It’s a bit of a drive but we’ll worth it if you want to get away from the crowds. Small place, quiet beach, rustic property, friendly people. Even the kids had fun!

32 minutes ago, bjg916 said:

Just visited Costa Maya. Knowing the port would be crowded, we booked Hotel Maya Luna day passes. It’s a bit of a drive but we’ll worth it if you want to get away from the crowds. Small place, quiet beach, rustic property, friendly people. Even the kids had fun!

Good to know Maya Luna is still up and running and you enjoyed your day. It has been years since I have seen anyone mention it on CC. It appears from their website they are trying yo encourage cruisers again and have day passes listed. 

I see you also went diving? Did you have two recent visits to Costa Maya,  or a long port day? Or were you able to arrange for the diving company able to pick you up at Maya Luna?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

@lynncarolwhich ship were you on that had the Chacchoben Mayan tour? What type of vehicle was it? (large bus, small van, etc.)  We are on RCCL Liberty of the Seas in mid-January and are also looking to do ship excursions.  One of the Chacchoben tours has a weight limit of 260 pounds, which I found odd for a driving tour.  But then I thought maybe it was because they didn't want super-heavy people walking up the ruins???  Anyway, if you have additional details, I'd appreciate it.  

The holidays got away from me: sorry for the delay in response. We were on the Odyssey of the Seas (RC).  They used a bus...vaccinated passengers only which probably had 24 folks on it.  Our guide took the group through the ruins at a leisurely pace.  At each site, you could roam around on your own, if desired, but he made sure all were accounted for before going on to the next pyramid etc. It is a lovely shaded area and some of the pyramids they still allow climbing. Probably due to Covid, but very few other visitors.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, melonhead said:

I am going to Costa Maya for the first time and we are looking for a beach day with included beverages but we do not want to be bombarded by venders trying to sell us something every 3 minutes.  What are your favorites?

I'm going to Maya Chan on January 19th for the first time.

The reviews are amazing from everything I could find and my group is looking forward to it.

They provide transportation, all you can eat and drink, you're own little private area with palapa and lounge chairs and the service is supposedly outrageous. I'm leaving out some details but I hope you get the idea.

Check it out.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:17 AM, melonhead said:

I am going to Costa Maya for the first time and we are looking for a beach day with included beverages but we do not want to be bombarded by venders trying to sell us something every 3 minutes.  What are your favorites?

Answered on your other thread.