ROYAL Up SOLD OUT

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

How is it a pyramid.

One Royal Suite opens up.  Someone moves up from OS.  ONE OS is not open for someone to move up from a GS, which opens ONE GS for a JS to move up and so forth.

Definitely more domino than pyramid.

But great for RCI.  Even if the move is only $200 per cabin to upgrade ($100 pp double occupancy), that is $200 for OS to RS. $200 for the GS to OS.  And $200 for JS to GS.  And $200 for Balcony to JS.  And $200 for OV to Balcony.  And $200 for Interior to OV.

So one cancellation becomes $1000 for RCI for virtually no cost.  And the bids start higher than that.

Thank you.  I feel very comfortable in my assertion that this is a "domino" situation, NOT a pyramid situation.  I appreciate your support!

🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And the sweet former upgrade fairy...the free one..(before her money grubbing upbid fairy sister came along)...is long gone.  😞   RIP upgrade fairy.  

Win for RCI...(can't blame them)...but another money grab from our pockets.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SRF said:

How is it a pyramid.

One Royal Suite opens up.  Someone moves up from OS.  ONE OS is not open for someone to move up from a GS, which opens ONE GS for a JS to move up and so forth.

But great for RCI.  Even if the move is only $200 per cabin to upgrade ($100 pp double occupancy), that is $200 for OS to RS. $200 for the GS to OS.  And $200 for JS to GS.  And $200 for Balcony to JS.  And $200 for OV to Balcony.  And $200 for Interior to OV.

So one cancellation becomes $1000 for RCI for virtually no cost.  And the bids start higher than that.

Wasn’t my original description, but one GS opening up might trigger 50+ Jr suites to bid on the GS up grade.  One OS open might trigger 10-20 GS to bid on the upgrade.  The nature of cabin categories mirrors a pyramid with each better category having less cabins available.  Like a pyramid has less stones the higher up you go.  None of the analogies are perfect.  I tend to like a dominos on a pyramid as a nice compromise.  

• Like 1

Just now, topnole said:

Wasn’t my original description, but one GS opening up might trigger 50+ Jr suites to bid on the GS up grade.  One OS open might trigger 10-20 GS to bid on the upgrade.  The nature of cabin categories mirrors a pyramid with each better category having less cabins available.  Like a pyramid has less stones the higher up you go.  None of the analogies are perfect.  I tend to like a dominos on a pyramid as a nice compromise.  

It doesn't matter how many people bid.  It is how many can move up.

One opening at ANY level means ONE opening from the next lower level.  Domino, not pyramid

Just now, SRF said:

It doesn't matter how many people bid.  It is how many can move up.

One opening at ANY level means ONE opening from the next lower level.  Domino, not pyramid

So what is the point of bidding then?   I can tell you they definitely created the bidding system because the category system is like a pyramid.  Lots of lower tier cabins to bid on the opening of a much smaller number of cabins in the above categories.  

This would theoretically drive up the bid offer by the bidders because they know there will be many others at their level bidding.  Also, I would assume your minimum bid is based on where you are in the cabin category pyramid.  So to get the very top suite you would not need to bid as much if you were in the second best suite versus a regular balcony cabin.  

So in this case the pyramid description is not only relevant, but needed to fully explain the system.  In dominos, each domino is exactly the same.  In Royal up, each cabin category is explicitly different which fundamentally changes the dynamics.  That is the logic of the pyramid description as best as I can surmise.  

But whatever analogy you like is fine with me.   The whole point is to help folks understand the system.  I’m not entirely sure dominos as an analogy does that quite well without the pyramid aspect being introduced.  Neither were my descriptions and to each there own as they say.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Phrase it how ever you like...It's a game of chance...no upfront cost... pay only if you win...I don't mind those odds :classic_wink:

I agree.  Call it what you want.  But I will say it probably isn’t exactly a game if chance.  If you bid significantly higher than someone else, I’m pretty sure you will win.  Sort of like putting in an offer on a house when you know they already have multiple offers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

I agree.  Call it what you want.  But I will say it probably isn’t exactly a game if chance.  If you bid significantly higher than someone else, I’m pretty sure you will win.  Sort of like putting in an offer on a house when you know they already have multiple offers.  

Kinda...But here you don't really know how many have bid.

With a house you usually do and it isn't always the high bid that wins....it can be the terms of that bid.

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Kinda...But here you don't really know how many have bid.

With a house you usually do and it isn't always the high bid that wins....it can be the terms of that bid.

Absolutely.  Obviously that is a complex comparison.  But the implication was all else being equal. So two offers with all the same terms and conditions would almost always be based on the highest bid.  

All I’m saying is I don’t think it is a random draw based on chance.  I assume their system identifies the most profitable or beneficial bid and selects that based on the criteria put in the system.  Perhaps ties result in a random draw so if you everyone bids minimum,

chance would come into play.  But again,

I can avoid that by bidding high so I’m not left with only a random chance of winning.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, that was also true pre COVID.  Read the main Royal up thread. 

I wonder how often that happens as a %?   Probably pretty rare?   But obviously if no one bids beyond maximum on a given cruise, it will happen from time to time.  

On 12/9/2021 at 1:46 PM, topnole said:

So what is the point of bidding then?   I can tell you they definitely created the bidding system because the category system is like a pyramid.  Lots of lower tier cabins to bid on the opening of a much smaller number of cabins in the above categories.  

This would theoretically drive up the bid offer by the bidders because they know there will be many others at their level bidding.  Also, I would assume your minimum bid is based on where you are in the cabin category pyramid.  So to get the very top suite you would not need to bid as much if you were in the second best suite versus a regular balcony cabin.  

So in this case the pyramid description is not only relevant, but needed to fully explain the system.  In dominos, each domino is exactly the same.  In Royal up, each cabin category is explicitly different which fundamentally changes the dynamics.  That is the logic of the pyramid description as best as I can surmise.  

But whatever analogy you like is fine with me.   The whole point is to help folks understand the system.  I’m not entirely sure dominos as an analogy does that quite well without the pyramid aspect being introduced.  Neither were my descriptions and to each there own as they say.  

Yes, the number of cabins by class is a pyramid.

But Royal Up is NOT.  One opening at one level opens up ONE opening in each lower level.

A pyramid setup would mean that one opening at a top level would open up increasing numbers of openings at the lower level.  One OS opens would mean 2 or more GS open, which would mean 3 or more JS open, etc.

One to One to One to One is a pretty skinny pyramid. 🙂

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yes, the number of cabins by class is a pyramid.

But Royal Up is NOT.  One opening at one level opens up ONE opening in each lower level.

A pyramid setup would mean that one opening at a top level would open up increasing numbers of openings at the lower level.  One OS opens would mean 2 or more GS open, which would mean 3 or more JS open, etc.

One to One to One to One is a pretty skinny pyramid. 🙂

The pyramid analogy is the bidding scheme not the logistics of cabin switching.  One opening at the top creates the opportunity for many (bids) lower in the pyramid.  The idea being many.  Many creates demand (many stones at the bottom of the pyramid) for a very limited supply (very few stones at the top of the pyramid).  If it was one to one (a skinny pyramid as you say) Royal would never have the system as it is.  They only do this because the cabin class structure is like a pyramid which drives up bid prices.  The pyramid analogy isn’t for the logistics of cabin swapping down the chain.  These are two different processes that co-exist.  This is why I said in a prior post that perhaps dominos on a pyramid would be a better analogy.  

Edited by topnole

On 12/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, SRF said:

How is it a pyramid.

The one aspect I'd note is there are more OS's than RS's; and there are more GS's than OS's, so as a cabin "down the hill" opens up there may be more competition to snag it.  The further down the hill, the more competitors for an open spot.  

(he says as he prepares in a few months to hopefully compete for an OS). 

But yeah "Pyramid Scheme" does conjure images of multi-level marketing.  I see it more like doing your NCAA Tournament brackets...