some thoughts on the Edge class

cruzer0007

24 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

People can suggest that you should have done more research ignore the fact the Celebrity will soon have 3 E-class ships in service and they are now assigning them to some of the nicer itineraries.  It's not as though you have a choice in many situations, other than going to a different cruise line.  Sadly, that may be the option that we will follow.

There are 2 more E Class ships either on the drawing board or under construction, the 4th (unnamed) is slated for summer of 2024, it will be similar to the Beyond in size and Retreat facilities. My best guess is the unrevolutionized M Class ships will be sold before the 4th or 5th E Class ships are launched. The Edge will be in the land down under in 2023-2024 and then going to Alaska for summer 2024 season. We are doing a B2B on the Edge in New Zealand and Australia in 2024.

We thought the Apex was an amazing ship.  We were in a suite, but we seldom took advantage of the forward looking views.  Nor in the past have we seen very many people on the deck 15/16 forward areas on the Solstice Class ships as we did our morning walks.

It is true that the two giant Iconic suites have taken up the space previously used by the Sky Lounge, which we missed.

The inside aft views have improved significantly with the multi level Eden area.  I view the change as a shift from Forward to Aft.  
The walking area and Garden area are amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I do not want to imply that the OP’s opinion/experience isn’t valid; I just wanted to share my experience.  When we read about the Edge Class we were convinced it was not for us.  Solstice Class was our favorite.  The Edge seemed to us to be all flash…that weird bow, that jarring blue, that awkward orange appendage, no beloved Sky Lounge, all that Hoppen hype and the “Eden Experience…”

Well, some friends talked us into sailing Edge with them in 2019.  We LOVED Edge!!!  Loved Eden’s panoramic views, loved the 4 MDR concept, loved Mr. Edge, loved the quirky beautiful touches all over the ship.  LOVED having a true King size bed.  Loved the storage in the bathroom and the adjustable shower head.  We also loved the infinite veranda.

I don’t want to be in full sun so the solarium-ish “veranda meant I could stare out at the ocean as long as I wanted.  On a regular balcony if there was no shade due to the position of the ship and the sun, if it was too hot, if it was raining…then I’d have to go back inside.  Also on a regular balcony I generally had to put a beach towel on the balcony chairs as they always had sea spray on them.

For us the only drawback to Edge is the lack of shade at the Sunset Bar.  Sometimes there is some…if the superstructure is blocking the sun…but generally absolutely none.

But if the Edge Class isn’t your cup of tea there is always the Solstice Class.

We agree totally agree with your comments. We had two heavy thunderstorms on our cruise and loved being able to sit on the balcony -- rain or shine.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

There are 2 more E Class ships either on the drawing board or under construction, the 4th (unnamed) is slated for summer of 2024, it will be similar to the Beyond in size and Retreat facilities. My best guess is the unrevolutionized M Class ships will be sold before the 4th or 5th E Class ships are launched. The Edge will be in the land down under in 2023-2024 and then going to Alaska for summer 2024 season. We are doing a B2B on the Edge in New Zealand and Australia in 2024.

The next Edge Class has been named Ascend and will start sailing in 2023 according to a Future Cruises presentation we just heard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The next Edge Class has been named Ascend and will start sailing in 2023 according to a Future Cruises presentation we just heard. 

The future cruise presentation we had on the Equinox said the 4th ship had not been named, that was in August, glad they have now named her. They did say that the only future ships for now will be Edge Class, or until Celebrity comes up with another outside of the box concept. For our tastes, the E Class ships, and the Retreat are keeping us from seriously switching to more luxury lines. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruzer0007 said:

I am just back from a 7 day Apex cruise, and wanted to share a couple thoughts that I had not seen mentioned or discussed prior to my sailing, maybe this will help others decide between ship classes.  Overall, we had a great time on the cruise, and we enjoyed a number of things about the Apex. We have never sailed on the Edge, I suspect most of my thoughts apply to that ship too, but keep in mind my only experience in the class is the Apex.  Since it is virtually new, everything is nice and shiny, so that helps a great deal with first impressions.   We had a deck 9 inside cabin, near mid ship, nothing fancy, its about as "standard" as they come as far as cruise cabins go.  I will say I think the layout and design of the bathroom is such that it feels larger than any we have had on any prior cruise, and also the nicest.  The fact it is a new ship helps with that I am sure but its a great layout in our opinion.  Eden is a great space to watch live music in the evening.  

Couple things overall about the ship that really disappointed us, the primary let down was the fact that on the top outside decks, up around the pool area, there is NO option for non-suite guests to get to the front of the ship.  Customers of the spa can get out to one area up front, but that requires a "spa" membership (more $$$) or purchase of some spa services.  We have never been on a ship where we were restricted from the up front areas I mention, and its concerning to me that this is the direction the industry might be headed (paying additional for that access) . We have always enjoyed watching the ship sail into a port (or exit a port) from outside, up high, and sometimes from up front (over the bridge).  Nice central view, in "the wind" and scanning the horizon when out at sea.  This is no longer possible on the Apex (Edge class ?), unless you are in the retreat club (or in the spa).  Huge let down for us.   It also limits the walking options (for exercise) than normal.  

The magic carpet was nice, but I just dont see the appeal.  On sea days, there is significant wind out there, so much so that its not very pleasant to sit out there, and its also quite warm due to all the glass.  We tried to listen to some live music one evening out there, but the wind made that very difficult to enjoy.  Finally, I thought the layout of the oceanview could be improved substantially.  There is really one side with a good quality drink station near the center, the other side has limited service drink stations, so we spent considerable time learning where we had to go to get certain things (like OJ in the morning, iced tea in the evening).  I wish there were more full service drink stations up there.

The Apex is a great ship, but the lack of bow view access up high was a surprise to us, and we only learned of this once we got on board, and it was quite a disappointment.  If discussed elsewhere, we missed it.  I have no issue with some facilities that are exclusive to the higher grade cabins, but I dont think its a good sign that entire segments of the cruise experience get taken away from those cruising on more limited budgets.  Exclusive clubs, no problem ... restricting access to the prime viewing deck locations is a slippery slope, and I hope it does not take hold on a wider basis.  For us, this alone is enough to steer us to the S-class over the Edge/Apex in the future.  Hope this helps others make a more informed decision.

We were on our first Edge class sailing the beginning of November and we had the same thoughts as you, both the positive and negative.  No access to look over the front was really disappointing.

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

For us the only drawback to Edge is the lack of shade at the Sunset Bar.  Sometimes there is some…if the superstructure is blocking the sun…but generally absolutely none.

That has been resolved on the Apex as another recent cruiser commented that there are shades that have been installed at the Sunset bar so that the sun is no longer baking you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you are mobility challenged, Edge is probably not a good choice.

Don’t try to use a scooter in the handicapped elevator in Eden.  The entry an exit doors are at right angles so you can’t maneuver a scooter in it.

pools have steps or ladders, not gradual entry

part of the Martini bar area is only accessible by stairs, also part of Eden.

chairs throughout Eden are so low that they are difficult to sit down in or stand up from.

transit through the “forest” is difficult if you have limited sight.

all in all, there were several design blunders when it comes to handicapped access

• Like 1

Just now, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

So totally agree with this. I had a nagging knee injury on Apex and found Eden beautiful but just too painful to negotiate. All those stairs and steps and ramps. Oh my! Plus agree about the low slung chairs. With my aching knee, getting out of the chairs was an issue. But not just in Eden, Many chairs in public areas were too low for me to exit comfortably. And the rows of chairs in the theater were so close that there was almost no knee room. I am only 5 feet five inches tall. Just can't imagine how longer legged guests endured having their knees mashed up against the seat in front for an hour.

But I do have to say that the Theater is something to be experienced with that digital backdrop. The Rockumentary show was so amazing Hubby and I went back that same night and saw it again. We just never do that, but that show blew us away. I'd book Apex again just to see that show again spite of Apex's other drawbacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

This is what I hope for. Please, Celebrity, do not make so many Infinite Balconies on Ascend. Have more traditional balconies so that those of us who prefer a traditional balcony can have a choice. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

This is what I hope for. Please, Celebrity, do not make so many Infinite Balconies on Ascend. Have more traditional balconies so that those of us who prefer a traditional balcony can have a choice. 

Whoops! Sorry to quote myself. Just want to suggest that perhaps one deck could have only traditional balconies. 

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My TA recently came back from a travel agent cruise event on the Apex for a week and she cannot stop raving about the ship. She has been on many many cruise ships, and she thinks the Apex is the best of all of them. She even liked the IV cabin. She said her favorite place on the ship was the Eden lounge.

She's a TA.  Did you expect her to complain?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

We agree totally agree with your comments. We had two heavy thunderstorms on our cruise and loved being able to sit on the balcony -- rain or shine.

Are you saying the bridge did not close your IV window during a thunderstorm?  Our window was closed on us at the slightest hint of weather.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marieps said:

Like the TA, there are some things I do rave about on Apex but not everything. The theater is better on Apex. The buffet is better on Solstice Class. The sculpture and art is better on Apex. Sushi on Five on S-Class is better than Raw on Five on Apex. The ship's layout is more rational and less challenging on S-Class ships. The layout is more creative but a chore for those with mobility issues on Apex. S-Class ships have a cozier Cafe al Bacio. Apex has a less cozy and very noisy Cafe al Bacio. 

But many of my preferences are my personal taste. There will be those who disagree with me for sure. 

I do wonder why Celebrity has chosen to eliminate the library and card room. Card tables were almost always occupied on S-Class ships and the library often had folks seated there even late at night or early mornings. 

17 minutes ago, marieps said:

She has been my TA since 2004 and she always gives me a valued opinion. I trust her more than most other sources. She is also a good friend from when we lived in Alabama. She has over 30 years' experience in the travel industry.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

She has been my TA since 2004 and she always gives me a valued opinion. I trust her more than most other sources. She is also a good friend from when we lived in Alabama. She has over 30 years' experience in the travel industry.

Certainly not implying she's inexperienced.  It's just that a salesperson is always going to "accentuate the positive" about the product he/she is selling.  Had she not a single critique?

17 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Like the TA, there are some things I do rave about on Apex but not everything. The theater is better on Apex. The buffet is better on Solstice Class. The sculpture and art is better on Apex. Sushi on Five on S-Class is better than Raw on Five on Apex. The ship's layout is more rational and less challenging on S-Class ships. The layout is more creative but a chore for those with mobility issues on Apex. S-Class ships have a cozier Cafe al Bacio. Apex has a less cozy and very noisy Cafe al Bacio. 

But many of my preferences are my personal taste. There will be those who disagree with me for sure. 

I do wonder why Celebrity has chosen to eliminate the library and card room. Card tables were almost always occupied on S-Class ships and the library often had folks seated there even late at night or early mornings. 

Your impressions of Apex mirror mine of the Edge.  I did find the Eden restaurant, when closed, was a nice card spot.  Beautiful wake view.  You just had to climb the stairs each time to get a cocktail.  I believe it's been posted that the Gen-X cruiser is the favored demo, hence quiet spots like a card room and library are out of favor.

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It’s nice to have have someone you can trust so much!

• Like 1

I'm a first time Celebrity customer and will be on Apex on February 5th 2022.  I picked her because she is new.  I expect a different experience with a newer ship.

Saying that, I have sailed on a HAL Alaskan cruise and sitting on the Promenade deck

(that circles the ship)  in teak recliners, with heavy woolen blankets and pea soup/hot chocolate cup in my hand was so traditional and PERFECT!   I've moved between Princess, Hal, RCCL and now Celebrity.  I am sure I will not appreciate all of Apex but I believe it will be different😊

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Certainly not implying she's inexperienced.  It's just that a salesperson is always going to "accentuate the positive" about the product he/she is selling.  Had she not a single critique?

She thought the fine cut steak restaurant was terrible. Other than that nothing else sticks out. 

9 minutes ago, Afriendtoallanimals said:

I'm a first time Celebrity customer and will be on Apex on February 5th 2022.  I picked her because she is new.  I expect a different experience with a newer ship.

Saying that, I have sailed on a HAL Alaskan cruise and sitting on the Promenade deck

(that circles the ship)  in teak recliners, with heavy woolen blankets and pea soup/hot chocolate cup in my hand was so traditional and PERFECT!   I've moved between Princess, Hal, RCCL and now Celebrity.  I am sure I will not appreciate all of Apex but I believe it will be different😊

We had sailed HAL almost exclusively since 2010 in both Signature Suites and Neptune Suites. After doing our first Celebrity cruise in their Retreat Suites we decided no more HAL, they have noting close to the Retreat Luminae experience.  The Club Orange on our last HAL cruise in 2019 was just one big joke. We are sailing on the Oosterdam next year to use up some FCC and the itinerary that matched up with the timing of our Oceania Baltic cruise. About the only thing we do still like on HAL is the Tamarind Restaurant, which is our favorite specialty restaurant of any cruise line. We have 4 future cruises booked on the Apex and Edge in the next 3 years.

Edited by terrydtx

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I suspect you are correct.  I fully expect them to move the two M class ships that haven't been Hoppenized out of the fleet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Libraries and card rooms do not produce revenue.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

She thought the fine cut steak restaurant was terrible. Other than that nothing else sticks out. 

We agree on that.  They ruined a tomahawk chop for two, and hence DW and I had to wait while the rest of our six top ate.  Very disappointing.

• Haha 1