some thoughts on the Edge class

cruzer0007

Sailed the Edge for 2 weeks this summer & ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Hey, I LOVE the Waterfront area on the NCL Getaway (and others in that class)--EVERY ship should have it imo, but I would still sail Edge class in a heartbeat (Apex in March & scanning Beyond sailings as we speak...) And we are happy with interiors (which, btw are MUCH larger on E class than most interiors on any line at 200 sq. ft)

There is a walking track so I don't get the lack of walking options.

Every line/ship that we have sailed has things we love & others not so fond of. 

But luckily we haven't found anything to be deal breakers for us as of yet. (our Mariner of the Seas cruise was our least fav--I think MX Riv isn't my fav & I REALLY think the CD made ALL the difference in that cruise for us. BORING)

6 hours ago, retiredTed said:

We spent time in Eden but I recall that the speciality restaurant surcharge combined with a menu that didn't get us very excited left us with the question... why would we dine there when we could dine at the steakhouse for the same money?

Are you referring to the Eden menu on the Edge, which was "outside the box", IMHO, or the menu from Eden on the Apex, which was a bit more mainstream? 

The OP’s primary disappointment is not having access to a central, forward-facing, up high, outside, in to the wind, over the bridge viewing area on Celebrity’s “Edge” Class ships. Forward most balcony cabins and forward-facing cabins on decks 7, 8, 9 would mitigate some of those concerns, naturally at a higher cost. It’s Kind of like wanting a 22nd floor Times Square hotel view for the price of a 2nd floor room.

The Fitness Center on deck 15 offers great views, while getting heart healthy on one of many treadmills. It is inside, but no cost for the view. Inclement weather be damned. Also, in the wind is good up front but too much to enjoy the Magic Carpet. It sounds like Edge Class is not for you, if only for some pretty insignificant reasons.

3 hours ago, cluso said:

If you pull up earlier threads on the Edge sailings, you will see lots of examples of the bridge disabling/overriding the infinite verandas.  The Edge class is definitely not for us. 

Sailed on the Edge in January of 2020 for 7 nights and never had the bridge override our controls.  I was under the impression that the only times that ever happened was during extremely inclement weather, in which they all would be shut down or during a cleaning in port, in which the shutdown would be in sections.

There are other choices such as sunset verandas or suites on board that are not IV cabins.  But if you have yourself pigeonholed to a standard balcony cabin similar to other ships, then I guess you can write the Edge Class off.

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Because Eden is better than a generic steakhouse 🤷‍♀️😉

Food in Eden on Apex was fantastic! The Fine Cut - nothing special...

IMO the Apex’s view and location aft is superior to the Fine Cut’s location. (Mid ship and opened).

We preferred the Fine Cut menu options.  We did miss the Murano restaurant and preferred their Dover Sole preparation more than the Fine Cut version.  

I need to edit my comment...

E class interiors are 180-200 sq. ft. 

And those 200 sq. ft. rooms are nominally more expensive than the smaller room.

We have been comfortable in interiors on all other lines except NCL Getaway--that felt tight to me.

Yet we books INT on Breakaway for our Med cruise...saved SO much $. We really only sleep/shower in rooms anyway so we are fine with that. 

34 minutes ago, cluso said:

Ha Ha Ha.  If you knew us, you would definitely know we are not pigeonholed to anything.  Sante'

Yea I find that comment LOL worthy.  Because you're not happy with a bad design choice, taking away shared space, you're limiting yourself?

3 hours ago, cluso said:

Ha Ha Ha.  If you knew us, you would definitely know we are not pigeonholed to anything.  Sante'

It's easy to infer that your preference is for a standard side of ship balcony and since these are not available on the E Class you have decided to write it off since you stated  "the Edge Class is not for us." This screams pigeonholing since the specific cabin you want is not available and because of this you have decided to not sail on an entire class of ship.  It's your loss since our sailing  with Captain Kate on the Edge was one of my favorite cruises out of the 35 I have sailed on.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's easy to infer that your preference is for a standard side of ship balcony and since these are not available on the E Class you have decided to write it off since you stated  "the Edge Class is not for us." This screams pigeonholing since the specific cabin you want is not available and because of this you have decided to not sail on an entire class of ship.  It's your loss since our sailing  with Captain Kate on the Edge was one of my favorite cruises out of the 35 I have sailed on.

How the heck is it pigeonholing if a person paying for their vacation finds that ship does not have the type of cabin they prefer decides to look elsewhere???  Their $$$ their decision.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

How the heck is it pigeonholing if a person paying for their vacation finds that ship does not have the type of cabin they prefer decides to look elsewhere???  Their $$$ their decision.

Fully aware that it's their decision.  It's pigeonholing because they are set in their ways and only wish to cruise on a normal balcony.  They could in fact sail on any of the E Class ships in a normal balcony if they chose the sunset balcony aft or upgraded to a suite. They don't want to spend the extra money which is 100% their prerogative since they are set in their ways regarding the type of cabin they wish to sail in.

Instead of calling it pigeonholing, would you prefer calling it blinders regarding the specific type of cabin they prefer?

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Fully aware that it's their decision.  It's pigeonholing because they are set in their ways and only wish to cruise on a normal balcony.  They could in fact sail on any of the E Class ships in a normal balcony if they chose the sunset balcony aft or upgraded to a suite. They don't want to spend the extra money which is 100% their prerogative since they are set in their ways regarding the type of cabin they wish to sail in.

Instead of calling it pigeonholing, would you prefer calling it blinders regarding the specific type of cabin they prefer?

No I’d call it their personal choice not what you personally think/judge as to what they do,  then again you seem to hijack every lines thread you post on.  Your way or the highway apparently.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

No I’d call it their personal choice not what you personally think/judge as to what they do,  then again you seem to hijack every lines thread you post on.  Your way or the highway apparently.

Where did I ever give the my way or highway implication?  Your inference is from left field.  I personally don't care whether  Cluso cruises on the Edge Class or not.  But they are making assumptions that they will not like it without sailing on the ships because of the specific type of cabin they prefer.  Similar to others who lambast another cruise line without ever sailing on it.  

Putting a cruise line down or a class of ship down after actually cruising on it can be respected since everyone is entitled to their opinion.  To put it down via second hand information can't be respected.  See this all of the time over on the Royal boards.

I inferred that Cluso only likes regular balconies on the side of the ship.  Seems like my inference was correct since he has not refuted it, only my pigeonhole comment.

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

then again you seem to hijack every lines thread you post on.  

If you're talking about the Royal thread regarding dynamic pricing, there was no hijacking involved, I was the OP.

For the most part, I pay it forward.  But I have gotten into discussions in the past with others standing on the other side of the line in the sand and sometimes  serve time in the penalty box.

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Where did I ever give the my way or highway implication?  Your inference is from left field.  I personally don't care whether  Cluso cruises on the Edge Class or not.  But they are making assumptions that they will not like it without sailing on the ships because of the specific type of cabin they prefer.  Similar to others who lambast another cruise line without ever sailing on it.  

Putting a cruise line down or a class of ship down after actually cruising on it can be respected since everyone is entitled to their opinion.  To put it down via second hand information can't be respected.  See this all of the time over on the Royal boards.

I inferred that Cluso only likes regular balconies on the side of the ship.  Seems like my inference was correct since he has not refuted it, only my pigeonhole comment.

Oh yes the folks on Royal know you quite well.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's pigeonholing because they are set in their ways and only wish to cruise on a normal balcony. 

Ha Ha Ha.  You don't even know what type of cabins we like/reserve, or cruise lines, or what we like or don't like on a ship.  It's the big picture, not one thing.  Next cruise is on a sailing yacht, no balcony (our 13th time I think on that line).  We are all over the place, to include sailing our own boats, bare boating (the Moorings) worldwide, doing the loop, renting the DIY canal boats in Europe (doing all the locks on our own).  First cruise ship, Monterey from Hawaii to LA-1971.  First Celebrity (Chandris Amerikanis) 1985.  Grew up on an island, being on the water is in my blood. 

S/V Sante'     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Are sunset balcony cabins priced higher than others?  And are suites on Edge class ships priced higher than the rest of the fleet?  Perhaps because Edge class is more desirable?  I tend to book Aqua but might book a suite on Beyond if I ever get a chance to cruise on that ship.

5 hours ago, cluso said:

Ha Ha Ha.  You don't even know what type of cabins we like/reserve, or cruise lines, or what we like or don't like on a ship.  It's the big picture, not one thing.  Next cruise is on a sailing yacht, no balcony (our 13th time I think on that line).  We are all over the place, to include sailing our own boats, bare boating (the Moorings) worldwide, doing the loop, renting the DIY canal boats in Europe (doing all the locks on our own).  First cruise ship, Monterey from Hawaii to LA-1971.  First Celebrity (Chandris Amerikanis) 1985.  Grew up on an island, being on the water is in my blood. 

S/V Sante'     

Then enlighten all of us as to why the  E Class ships are not worthy to add to your diverse cruising history.  You never gave a specific reason, only implying that you were against the IV cabins.

50 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Then enlighten all of us as to why the  E Class ships are not worthy to add to your diverse cruising history.  You never gave a specific reason, only implying that you were against the IV cabins.

Who is all???  You seem to be the only person utterly obsessed with their decision.  

• Like 1

We're on Edge now & didn't expect to like it, but we love it!

Especially like the 4 MDRs, the food and drink has been very good & it feels less noisy & more intimate in them, more like a speciality. There's a lot of live music around which I also very much appreciate. Granted there are fewer than usual passengers which probably helps, plus we are in a lovely SV. I think there is more carpeted area than S class which makes it warmer and softer. Really like the main theatre too and, oddly, the area where you get on & off is 100x better than any previous ship we have sailed on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Stuffthis123 said:

We're on Edge now & didn't expect to like it, but we love it!

Especially like the 4 MDRs, the food and drink has been very good & it feels less noisy & more intimate in them, more like a speciality. There's a lot of live music around which I also very much appreciate. Granted there are fewer than usual passengers which probably helps, plus we are in a lovely SV. I think there is more carpeted area than S class which makes it warmer and softer. Really like the main theatre too and, oddly, the area where you get on & off is 100x better than any previous ship we have sailed on.

Thank you.  I guess the SV are all aft?  I only do one cruise a year so it might be a while before I get to the Edge class.  I'm booked for 2022 and 2023.  Maybe Beyond in 2024?

On 12/14/2021 at 5:47 PM, cruzer0007 said:

we also had a deluxe inside, incase that matters regarding the amenities of the cabin, I should have been more clear about that, but I considered it a pretty standard/basic cabin in my simpleton way of assessing that stuff.   Also agree about the spectacular views in the rear (in the Eden space). It reminded me of the RCCL Quantum class, they also have a nice window wall in the aft of those ships.  About the magic carpet, your experience sounds much more pleasant, so now I am thinking perhaps the weather conditions on our trip are a more primary factor on my dislikes. Perhaps I did not give that enough consideration.  The orientation of the ship with respect to the sun could also be a big factor in my dislike of the warmth we felt on mid day explorations there.  All in all, it is a nice idea, and I am thankful that somebody (ie Celebrity) continues pushing the envelope to find new ways to "wow" the crowd, and its probably down to personal preference rather than a failed innovation.  The magic carpet is certainly unique, and its a great concept and is really cool ... I just wish it was not so windy out there but maybe on a subsequent cruise it wouldn't be.

It’s been interesting to read what others thought about Magic Carpet, and what their experiences were. MC became more crowded as the day wore on, and maybe windier? We were always gone by then. I agree with those who describe Edge as being sort of chopped up - DH would go even further, there are a number of dead ends, both out on deck and inside, and felt those were frankly dangerous in an emergency if people panicked and thought they were taking short cuts. There are a couple of other quiet secluded spots we found - one an outside nook just outside the entrance to Eden (although it might be smoking), the other is a half deck, just above the pool deck, above the pool bar if I remember right - no one ever found that spot.

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's pigeonholing because they are set in their ways and only wish to cruise on a normal balcony. 

Pigeonholing would be preferring a specific cabin type that was only available on very few, possibly only one, ship. Preferring a specific cabin type that is available on every other class of ship fleet-wide and across all other cruise companies is anything but pigeonholing.

• Like 1