On Oceania now with Splendor next

artlee

We are enjoying Riviera this trip and have Spendor on a TA in April. Anyone been on Oceania and Regency and can compare? This is our first cruise on both. Impressed with Oceania. Our TA said you will like Regency even better. Looking forward to it. We enjoy sea days so a TA is right up our alley.

Thanks

Art

Or maybe never on Regency.  If you post from a iPad as I do at times, sometimes I spell something correctly but the iPad thinks it knows better..and sometimes I just spell something wrong and the iPad doesn’t catch it. 

The main difference I know of between Oceania and Regent is that drinks are included only at lunch or dinner on Oceania and they are included all the time on Regent. Of course, you can buy a “drink package” on Oceania to fix this, if you want. Also, Regent includes excursions and air, and Oceania does not as of last I checked. I think the Oceania ship is a newer one (not an old Renaissance (sp?) ship). On the old Oceania ships, there wasn’t a suite class I liked. Either too small or to expensive. But on the new ship, this may be corrected.

I cannot comment on comparing food and service. Never cruised Oceania either (Regent many times). But  these things seem about equal, based on the reports of others.

• Like 1

We have cruised many times on both lines, and there are positives and negatives for each.  everything is subjective, and you have to pick and choose what matters the most to you.

we prefer the food on O.  It is superior, in our opinion…. If we want a getaway where we don’t care about shore excursions, we pick O- for example the Caribbean itineraries.  This way we are not paying for included excursions we won’t use.  We like to relax on the ship and maybe do something in just one or two ports, on our own.  We don’t take their air or O-life.

we did a TA in 2019 on Regent, with an extension to Rome.  our only issues were truly first world problems, mostly with other passengers behaviors and the fallout of reduced services due to an outbreak of Norovirus.

Dolebludger is incorrect, alcohol is not included at lunch and dinner on O.  Only non alcoholic drinks and specialty coffees are included, unless something changed recently.
Both Oceania and regent have old and new ships.  We haven’t been on Splendor but are looking forward to being on the Explorer in 2023.  We have been on the R ships and the new ships on Oceania, and will be on the riviera in 2022.  Crew are wonderful on both lines.

if we are going overseas to exotic locations (2020 Bali to Sydney) we prefer Regent- this way we don’t have to worry once we are at the airport, it is all in their hands, and we don’t have to do too much excursion research and planning.  Food is good, not exceptional, and  on our last regent cruise the head chef had a bit of an attitude.  We have been very satisfied with most of the flights in business class.

I think you won’t be disappointed- have a wonderful time.

if you have a specific question I am happy to help.

Having been on both lines multiple times, I feel that the food on Oceania used to be slight bit better, but in recent years, they are equal.  Main thing we prefer about Regent is that everything is included.  No having to show a key card to get a drink, etc. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, artlee said:

"We are enjoying Riviera this trip and have [Splendor] on a TA in April..."

We are doing the reverse order next November, except on the Marina instead of the Riviera.  We literally get off the Splendor in Rome and get on the Marina the next day to cross the Atlantic. 

We have not sailed Oceania before but have sailed on Regent several times before, but it has been quite some time since those cruises (our first two were actually when the line was named Radisson).  What we are expecting is that Oceania will have great food and service, but not the all-inclusiveness of Regent.  

That being said, we are hoping we love Oceania as their prices are much more conducive to the pocketbook of a couple retired Army folk.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:48 PM, mrlevin said:

Regency went bankrupt almost 20 years ago; I believe you meant Regent.  If your travel agent is the culprit, fire your travel agent.

Twenty years ago it was Radison, not Regent.

7 hours ago, JanR said:

We are doing the reverse order next November, except on the Marina instead of the Riviera.  We literally get off the Splendor in Rome and get on the Marina the next day to cross the Atlantic. 

We have not sailed Oceania before but have sailed on Regent several times before, but it has been quite some time since those cruises (our first two were actually when the line was named Radisson).  What we are expecting is that Oceania will have great food and service, but not the all-inclusiveness of Regent.  

That being said, we are hoping we love Oceania as their prices are much more conducive to the pocketbook of a couple retired Army folk.

Funny you say this.  Just got off Regent Splendor today (Friday) and are booked on Oceania Marina in Nov. to do the T/A from Rome to Miami.   Food on O is great.  In our opinion better than the cruise we were just on.  Can't wait to fly to Rome and get on the ship. Maybe see you there.