Anyone test COVID positive two days before their cruise?

PaperSniper4

We don't sail until February 2022, but I'm still curious. We have the Princess Vacation Protection insurance (I think that's the name). Officially the requirement for COVID testing is two days prior to sailing through the last day of February 2022; our sail date is 28 Feb 2022, naturally.😉 Granted, things can change, better or worse, between now and then.

Has anyone tested positive less than two days prior to their cruise? I'm wondering what we'd do if that happened to us. I plan to schedule a quick test at our local Walgreens <etc>, with possibly a backing time later that day at another place <CVS, etc> AND likely I'll have a couple of those home "medically observed" test kits also. If we are negative at the first place, I'll cancel the other tests obviously. But it positive, I'll do the other tests, hoping that the first was a false positive.

Anyway, anyone have experience with that?

Doug

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We don't sail until February 2022, but I'm still curious. We have the Princess Vacation Protection insurance (I think that's the name). Officially the requirement for COVID testing is two days prior to sailing through the last day of February 2022; our sail date is 28 Feb 2022, naturally.😉 Granted, things can change, better or worse, between now and then.

Has anyone tested positive less than two days prior to their cruise? I'm wondering what we'd do if that happened to us. I plan to schedule a quick test at our local Walgreens <etc>, with possibly a backing time later that day at another place <CVS, etc> AND likely I'll have a couple of those home "medically observed" test kits also. If we are negative at the first place, I'll cancel the other tests obviously. But it positive, I'll do the other tests, hoping that the first was a false positive.

Doug

Note on your Health Assessment you have to claim that you have Not tested positive within the last ten days.
 Not sure if there could be any issues testing a second time.  We may do the home test unregistered beforehand.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dar &amp; Bob said:

Note on your Health Assessment you have to claim that you have Not tested positive within the last ten days.
 Not sure if there could be any issues testing a second time.  We may do the home test unregistered beforehand.  

Interesting, and another thing about which to worry!😳 I had not thought of that. I wonder if anyone had to answer "Yes" on that 10 day question. And what the outcome would be. I know there are false positive AND false negatives possible on just about any test. Sure hope none of us get caught in that dilemma.  It would be very disappointing to miss a cruise, especially at the last minute (couple of days out).

Doug

• Like 1

I would love an answer to this as well. We sail on January 2nd and will test on the morning of December 31st. I too have multiple testing options in place for our family of four. Crossing my fingers (and everything else) that none of us tests positive, but if we do, I'd like to know what my next steps are. We also have the Princess Cancel For Any Reason Insurance, but what would my immediate next step need to be if the unfortunate happens?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

I would love an answer to this as well. We sail on January 2nd and will test on the morning of December 31st. I too have multiple testing options in place for our family of four. Crossing my fingers (and everything else) that none of us tests positive, but if we do, I'd like to know what my next steps are. We also have the Princess Cancel For Any Reason Insurance, but what would my immediate next step need to be if the unfortunate happens?

Do not cancel your cruise based on a positive test alone. Contact your doctor. He may do additional testing to confirm the diagnosis. He will provide documentation of the diagnosis and “do not travel” orders necessary to file an insurance claim. Under those conditions, your insurance will reimburse you in cash for lost prepaid non-refundable expenses. 

There is no need to cancel under the CFAR provision. You’ll get only a percentage in the form of FCC that way.

• Like 2

If test positive with antigen test I would get PCR test done to be sure and not another antigen test. 
That was our backup plan for cruise to Alaska in September and fortunately we didn’t have to use PCR option.   We had booked a rapid test in the morning and a PCR test early in the afternoon just in case test positive.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wen_c82 said:

If test positive with antigen test I would get PCR test done to be sure and not another antigen test. 
That was our backup plan for cruise to Alaska in September and fortunately we didn’t have to use PCR option.   We had booked a rapid test in the morning and a PCR test early in the afternoon just in case test positive.  

We have been able to get results on a PCR test within 9 hours at our health provider. 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Do not cancel your cruise based on a positive test alone. Contact your doctor. He may do additional testing to confirm the diagnosis. He will provide documentation of the diagnosis and “do not travel” orders necessary to file an insurance claim. Under those conditions, your insurance will reimburse you in cash for lost prepaid non-refundable expenses. 

There is no need to cancel under the CFAR provision. You’ll get only a percentage in the form of FCC that way.

This is very good counsel. Thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

I believe that Princess has also extended the testing until the end of March now.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the form asks if you tested positive without qualification. It does not say did you only test positive with a PCR.  In does not ask you if you tested positive and confirmed by a doctor. So if one tested positive, even if they then tested negative they should check the form yes, and then provide any documentation to medical staff.  Otherwise if issues were to occur once on board they could have legal issues for lying on the form.

Also keep in mind that in the early days of the pandemic the antigen tests were rather poor with an false positive rate of up to 5 percent.  That has changed and the current approved tests have very good specificity, greater than 99.9% .  To put it another way the expected rate of false positives is somewhere between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 10,000   tests.    Not a very high rate.  but it is high enough that cruise lines in Europe that tested on the port would give anyone that tested positive with an antigen test (which was done because they are inexpensive and quick) with a PCR to confirm.

With that said the antigen tests have a sensitivity of 85%.  Which means that it is likely that it will generate a false negative and miss detecting a substantial number of cases.  One study found that current antigen tests will miss up to 50% of cases in asymptomatic individuals.  

To put it simply taking one antigen and testing positive and then taking another antigen test and testing negative does not tell you that your first test was a false positive.  For one to have some degree of certainty they would need to either get multiple negative tests taken over 24 hours apart (the protocol used by major sports teams such as the NFL).

A much better would be to test with the much more reliable PCR.

In any case one should still mark the form that they did test positive.  Prepare to have the discussion with the cruise lines medical personnel and provide them with all of the other test documentation that indicates that the positive result was not correct.  I would expect that they might do their own PCR test to confirm.

However, even if they do not run another test, to lie on the form and ignore the positive result has the potential to risk the health of other passengers, as well as placing one at risk of legal liability. I do  find the number of people basically saying to just take another test and just ignore the positive result if the second test is negative to be both 1. discouraging and 2. somewhat self centered.

Keep in mind that the tests that one takes that are acceptable to the cruise lines from drug stores, proctored tests, etc. the results are usually reported to public health. Might be somewhat embarrassing to be on board after lying on the form and getting a follow up call from your local public health department.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

I hope I did not give the impression that I meant for people to be dishonest on the health screening. When I said there should be no question, I meant that you have good evidence because the PCR is recognized as a better indicator. Armed with that, you are prepared to explain why you marked the questionnaire yes. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Babr said:

Sounds like good advice IF you can get to see your doctor that day.

20 hours ago, Babr said:

Good advice. Noted.

Doug

20 hours ago, wen_c82 said:

Another great idea, I had not considered that. Only problem of course would be getting the results befor (in our case) we flew to our departure port the day before we sail.

Doug

16 hours ago, Babr said:

I hope I did not give the impression that I meant for people to be dishonest on the health screening. When I said there should be no question, I meant that you have good evidence because the PCR is recognized as a better indicator. Armed with that, you are prepared to explain why you marked the questionnaire yes. 

Me too. If I had a positive antigen, followed by a negative PCR, I'd consider myself negative. And I think anyone else would also. I mean, what is a more definitive test? I'd certainly want to discuss that with the cruise line before they just tell me I can't board. Surely they'd want me to board (and spend more $$$😉) than have to refund my fare, even if it were just in the form of a FCC. So I think the cruise lines need to think about how to handle that question "...in the last x days, positive...". Other than just to cover their butts and perhaps over compensate on keeping everyone safe. That's a proper goal, but with a negative PCR test I maintain I'm safe. I don't want to be out and about if I were REALLY positive, but with a PCR negative result I'd feel very comfortable that I was "healthy".

Doug

• Like 2

NCL who provides antigen tests prior to boarding until the middle of next month follows up all positive antigen test with a PCR test to determine if a guest can board. The PCR test is the more definitive test and the best way to ensure that you didn't receive a false positive result. 

My son's school will only accept the PCR test for clearance after a possible COVID exposure. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if there is a fool-proof plan that will work for everyone because there are too many “what if’s” at the last minute. A first-hand account would surely be helpful. Failing that, all anyone can do is think ahead and make a plan based on the information you have and the resources at hand.

• Like 1

To the OP, I have wondered about the answer to your question too!  We all know it's a possibility but I haven't seen any reports from those who've cruised recently who did test positive...

We cruise Jan 16 2022 and are nervous.  We are triple Vaccinated and continue to wear masks, etc., but will be around family (some un-vacinated) over the holiday.  We are planning to semi quarantine after the holiday and before the trip just to be EXTRA careful.  I also realize we will be in airports and hotels beforehand so will need to continue to be vigilant.

What are other folks doing - if anything?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dog said:

I don’t see an answer to the question in your title. 

Advise- yes, more money, but take a PCR test. And do not lie on health questionnaire. 

Actually, There is a post on cc of someone who was positive at pier. I think it was on the UK forum or on this Princess forum 

11 minutes ago, dog said:

Actually, There is a post on cc of someone who was positive at pier. I think it was on the UK forum or on this Princess forum 

That sounds as if someone was not able to test pre-cruise and did testing at the pier. In that case, the answer is provided in the Princess FAQ section. 

Boarding is denied for the individual and his traveling party. The local health department will likely require quarantine unless the group drove to the port city. Princess will provide FCC but will not provide for any other associated expenses.

23 minutes ago, Babr said:

That sounds as if someone was not able to test pre-cruise and did testing at the pier. In that case, the answer is provided in the Princess FAQ section. 

Boarding is denied for the individual and his traveling party. The local health department will likely require quarantine unless the group drove to the port city. Princess will provide FCC but will not provide for any other associated expenses.

In the UK testing was done at the pier for travelers, not the advance testing in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

To the OP, I have wondered about the answer to your question too!  We all know it's a possibility but I haven't seen any reports from those who've cruised recently who did test positive...

We cruise Jan 16 2022 and are nervous.  We are triple Vaccinated and continue to wear masks, etc., but will be around family (some un-vacinated) over the holiday.  We are planning to semi quarantine after the holiday and before the trip just to be EXTRA careful.  I also realize we will be in airports and hotels beforehand so will need to continue to be vigilant.

What are other folks doing - if anything?

I'm doing, and have done, as you  are. Hope that's enough! We all long to cruise!

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, nocl said:

In the UK testing was done at the pier for travelers, not the advance testing in the US.

Yes, I was referring to a post from someone boarding in Southampton Uk. Tested at pier