Omicron - anyone canceling an upcoming cruise?

kj_connections

We were extremely fortunate inasmuch as our 7 night cruise on Seaview from St Maarten was from a new boarding point (instead of Martinique) due to the French disallowing entry to their Caribbean Islands, enabling us to cancel with a full refund....St Maarten is half Dutch and half French, the port in Philipsburg on the Dutch side.

We rebooked the cruise, at much lower rates for our chosen Yacht Club experience. The refund for original cruise took exactly 6 weeks to hit our credit card. This was pre-Omicron, so probably it will take much longer......

We won't be cancelling and look fwd to being on board

Am worried that if they cancel on us-- and we have B2B2B2B (as they were several short sailings strung together--all YC)

And three of those were from previous FCC ...

It will be an administrative mess.

So a lot of $ on the table here...Yes some of it is with a credit card with 10k pp insurance-- however much was FCC from previously cancelled 2020 and 2021 sailings...

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

We won't be cancelling and look fwd to being on board

Am worried that if they cancel on us-- and we have B2B2B2B (as they were several short sailings strung together--all YC)

And three of those were from previous FCC ...

It will be an administrative mess.

So a lot of $ on the table here...Yes some of it is with a credit card with 10k pp insurance-- however much was FCC from previously cancelled 2020 and 2021 sailings...

Fingers crossed.

Hoping your cruise goes ahead, and it should! We had a recent B2B in YC, but different cabins on each section, and on our first full day made ourselves known to the Concierge asking if we might retain the same cabin for both legs.

She noted our request, but did say it  couldn't be guaranteed....gladly we remained in the same cabin throughout, so if you are similar you might wish to talk to Concierge early doors!

• Like 2

@hamrag

TY. We hope it sails too

Yes, we are booked same cabin for all legs. It was a process -- our TA was a gem. Sadly she's moved over to ultra lux cruising (she has awesome customer service) 

If this falls apart we will be starting over with looking for a new TA to book YC for us.

DH noted that RCCL put out a statement that their private island (Labedee Haiti) was a guaranteed stop since its a private island...

so sad that the Bahamas gov has decided to forbid at least one sailing of a MSC ship from docking at OC. 

We find the Bahamas ports not worth the stop (Nassau etc) so stay on the pool deck of YC for that ...however we like OC (beach/water/food etc)

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

You are aware that the cruises with FCC are not covered by insurance? The policies do not cover non cash travel. The same goes for airline point seats as well.

I found that out just a few weeks ago when NCL cancelled me on a trip paid all with FCC and 2 reward tickets with Delta.

In the end Delta allowed the funds to be applied to another flight and NCL allowed the funds to another sailing.

My concern now is I have trips into 2023 (yes 2023) paid off with FCC. If those get cancelled or I need to cancel, I am out of luck unless the travel provider makes an exception.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Hoping your cruise goes ahead, and it should! We had a recent B2B in YC, but different cabins on each section, and on our first full day made ourselves known to the Concierge asking if we might retain the same cabin for both legs.

She noted our request, but did say it  couldn't be guaranteed....gladly we remained in the same cabin throughout, so if you are similar you might wish to talk to Concierge early doors!

We were in the same situation on Seashore 12/4 & 12/11.

We did not get to keep same cabin. Had to move and have a new butler as well.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You are aware that the cruises with FCC are not covered by insurance? The policies do not cover non cash travel. The same goes for airline point seats as well.

I found that out just a few weeks ago when NCL cancelled me on a trip paid all with FCC and 2 reward tickets with Delta.

In the end Delta allowed the funds to be applied to another flight and NCL allowed the funds to another sailing.

My concern now is I have trips into 2023 (yes 2023) paid off with FCC. If those get cancelled or I need to cancel, I am out of luck unless the travel provider makes an exception.

Of our B2B2B2B  three are FCC and one was credit card ...we are lucky to have same suite and butler for all.

Wondering if any of the staff we know from our Merv sailings will be back. 

TY for the reminder re the FCC and credit cards... thats interesting since it was paid for by the card initially... 

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We were in the same situation on Seashore 12/4 & 12/11.

We did not get to keep same cabin. Had to move and have a new butler as well.

Did the suite change goes smoothly?

When we changed cabins on another line it was seamless... the morning of the steward already had our room ready and they moved everything on hangars etc. 

Our getting new keys and getting off ship etc was seamless and painless..

Thats one place MSC need to improve service for YC...it could be far more painless than our prior experience 

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

TY for the reminder re the FCC and credit cards... thats interesting since it was paid for by the card initially... 

That was my argument.  Once you accepted FCC, or should I say not opt for a cash refund you created a new deal.  If you kept the same booking number that's a different story.

The FCC is comprised of that bonus so that is how the insurance is looking at it. They want your money and not pay out. You bought a credit. Its like trying to mail gift cards and they get lost USPS tells you to pound sand if you try and collect.

So basically if something goes wrong you could loose at the FCC cruises unless cruise line gave it back.

On your other question on cabin change. We were lucky. The cabin we moved to was already empty. We tossed the stuff in the suit case, left them. Out of room at 8am went thru customs crap back in YC at 9.30 and picked up keys and went to new room. So real easy overall.

@mscdivina2016

TY

When we B2Bd in 2020, we had to go to the theater at the back of the ship -- butler took us and we were told there was YC priority..

Then they herded the huge group down and out...

We stood in the pier hallways for a while...then literally to get back on - walked past the immigration officers.

About 2 hrs rt

We had been told YC got priority for the B2B process yet thats not what we had at all. Butlers can't get off the ship and there was no one shore side for YC what we saw

There was an older french speaking couple--in their 80s who we met in YC. They were working hard to keep up with us/group...

With Celebrity--we met in a specialty restaurant for continental breakfast, they did a lot of the checkin work there... pics, passport checks, etc

We Left the ship to zero out and thne Immigration cleared the ship..

Handed new keys and back on--I think about 45 min rt.

Very interesting to be on a largely empty ship ...closed bars/dining etc

Quite peaceful. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:05 AM, sfaaa said:

Doesn't matter if omicron is weaker or not. If you test positive, you are not allowed to board a plane or cruise ship and subject to quarantine. 

I haven't read that planes are requiring pre testing?...and herein lies the problem 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, styles27 said:

The ships haven’t been crowded in the Caribbean since they started sailing. 

We had 490 pax on our 11/14th Divina cruise. It was like having the ship to ourselves. We’ll be on Seashore 01/08 hoping for more than 490 lol. 

except for the last two weeks when everything has gone haywire!

• Like 1

Can’t believe I’m going to say this but we too may be thinking of canceling our Jan 20th cruise on Meraviglia. We have all 3 shots and flu shot but just not feeling super comfortable.

Looks like we have upto 48 hours prior to sailing to cancel. Would we get a choice of refund, FCC for a future cruise? What about the OBC and drink pkg that came with the cruise?We didn’t get insurance. Is there something I am missing in taking FCC?

is refund only if cruise line cancels the cruise?

Any help would be appreciated..

25 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Can’t believe I’m going to say this but we too may be thinking of canceling our Jan 20th cruise on Meraviglia. We have all 3 shots and flu shot but just not feeling super comfortable.

Looks like we have upto 48 hours prior to sailing to cancel. Would we get a choice of refund, FCC for a future cruise? What about the OBC and drink pkg that came with the cruise?We didn’t get insurance. Is there something I am missing in taking FCC?

Fcc only refund if they cancel

7 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

....is refund only if cruise line cancels the cruise?

Yes, unless you choose to accept FCC.

Edited by hamrag

No loss of OBC, actual experience this week.

Like any customer service exchange, the approach/attitude and knowledge of the customer is key to a positive outcome.

There are massive, never before, rapid changes in the cruise industry due to the global pandemic! Not to mention in the world and our lives...BE FLEXIBLE and BE SMART!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

We just took advantage of the cruise flex /48hr flexible booking policy 

We moved 1/8 Seashore to 11/12 Seashore. 

The all in drinks and WiFi was available on that sailing.
We did not get our OBC transferred to new ship as it was a VC voyage 5%+15% credit to our original sailing date.
New sailing date did not fall under that promotion 

Just so everyone knows who may be thinking of using the cruise flex. 

You DO NOT get a FCC when you use Cruise flex.
You have to have a new cruise date chosen before you call.
You will have the same booking # on your new chosen cruise as you did on the original cruise that you’re cancelling. 

If the price is more you owe them. If it’s less you will be given an OBC in that amount that is non refundable. 

Our new cruise was about $200 more so we owe them which considering their CS issues I prefer to owe them $ than vice versa 😉

You only receive a refund if MSC offers that option on your sailing. 

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

We just took advantage of the cruise flex /48hr flexible booking policy 

We moved 1/8 Seashore to 11/12 Seashore. 

The all in drinks and WiFi was available on that sailing.
We did not get our OBC transferred to new ship as it was a VC voyage 5%+15% credit to our original sailing date.
New sailing date did not fall under that promotion 

Just so everyone knows who may be thinking of using the cruise flex. 

You DO NOT get a FCC when you use Cruise flex.
You have to have a new cruise date chosen before you call.
You will have the same booking # on your new chosen cruise as you did on the original cruise that you’re cancelling. 

If the price is more you owe them. If it’s less you will be given an OBC in that amount that is non refundable. 

Our new cruise was about $200 more so we owe them which considering their CS issues I prefer to owe them $ than vice versa 😉

You only receive a refund if MSC offers that option on your sailing. 

I'm sure you'll keep an eye on the 5+15 and when it comes up you can probably get it?  That time of year is usually pretty low priced.  Since it's old money, maybe they'd just give you OBC instead of the discount.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, kj_connections said:

Is anyone worried about Omicron and canceling an upcoming cruise?  My sailing is March 20th and my final payment is in a few days and I do not know what to do.  Will cruise lines cancel cruises?  Will countries ban international travel?

On 12/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Reenie75 said:

If the cruise cancels or restrictions say Canadians (I'm Canadian☺) refund or credit for another cruise most likely would happen. We are sailing March 5th.

I cancelled our 1/16 cruise and rebooted for later in the year; itinerary was changed and the ports have all been cancelled with two, Honduras and Mexico.  Not paying that much money for this cruise.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Reenie75 said:

If the cruise cancels or restrictions say Canadians (I'm Canadian☺) refund or credit for another cruise most likely would happen. We are sailing March 5th.

I WISH MSC would cancel the 1/16 cruise so we could get a refund; the itinerary was changed drastically to ports we have no interest in visiting.