Possible Ban on Non-Essential Travel

DHP1

Starting a new topic on the below.  

December 14, 2021

Regarding the call between and the premiers tonight. Hearing: Must be vaccinated to enter. No non-citizens. Advisory against non-essential travel. Feds will also push provinces to enact domestic measures including limiting Christmas gatherings, even family.

Posted this on the other thread before realizing a new thread had been made.

Unless they ban all international travel it really doesn't mean anything.

All this does is affect travel insurance as from what I've read in here it's based on the government of Canada's travel warning level.

Many Canadians were cruising July to November when the risk level was higher.

20 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

All this does is affect travel insurance as from what I've read in here it's based on the government of Canada's travel warning level.

We were wintering in Florida when the pandemic hit....got an email from our health insurance provider telling us our coverage would be cancelled in 20 days....loaded up the car and drove home....I don't think anyone wants to travel in the US without health insurance.....

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

We were wintering in Florida when the pandemic hit....got an email from our health insurance provider telling us our coverage would be cancelled in 20 days....loaded up the car and drove home....I don't think anyone wants to travel in the US without health insurance.....

There are probably A LOT of people that travel without health insurance. Or travel insurance.

We are all on this website because we are smart and want to learn as much as possible before our next vacation, and are willing to put forth the time and effort to get all the correct information.

I'm on two Facebook groups for cruising (one for my cruise, one for Canadian Carnival cruisers). There are some 'interesting' questions that make me think that insurance is the furthest thing on their mind.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

There are probably A LOT of people that travel without health insurance. Or travel insurance.

We are all on this website because we are smart and want to learn as much as possible before our next vacation, and are willing to put forth the time and effort to get all the correct information.

I'm on two Facebook groups for cruising (one for my cruise, one for Canadian Carnival cruisers). There are some 'interesting' questions that make me think that insurance is the furthest thing on their mind.

The complex we were staying at in Florida had a lot of Canadians staying there....they all headed home early because of the insurance cancellation....I remember driving up I95....not much traffic but a lot of the traffic that was on the road had Ontario and Quebec plates....cars full of grumpy Canadians heading back to winter early.....I can't speak for everyone....I can only say if I can't get health insurance that covers travel in US, I won't be going there....soooo....let us in on the 'interesting' questions?....sounds intriguing....:-)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

The complex we were staying at in Florida had a lot of Canadians staying there....they all headed home early because of the insurance cancellation....I remember driving up I95....not much traffic but a lot of the traffic that was on the road had Ontario and Quebec plates....cars full of grumpy Canadians heading back to winter early.....I can't speak for everyone....I can only say if I can't get health insurance that covers travel in US, I won't be going there....soooo....let us in on the 'interesting' questions?....sounds intriguing....:-)

When it comes to travel insurance, you need to break it down between trip cancellation and medical insurance.  I agree 100% that I would not travel to the US without medical insurance.   I believe that the change to avoid non-essential travel does not affect my medical insurance, which to me is the most important part of the insurance.   My flights can be cancelled and I will get a credit, along with the cruise, so trip cancellation is a bit less important than in normal times.

As a result, I do not think the change that will be announced tomorrow by the federal government will affect my decision.  I will confirm my understanding with Blue Cross tomorrow, but I asked that specific question before I purchased the insurance.  Also, I read through the contract and it makes no mention of exclusions for government travel restrictions in the case of medical expenses.   It does have exclusions for the travel cancellation/interruption part of the coverage due to " Known, predictable, or ignored circumstances", which Covid or a travel advisory would be examples of it.

Now if they initiate a hotel quarantine period when you arrive back in Canada, that will change things...

• Like 3

As just announced, So far looks like it will be the advisory against non essential international travel and continued testing, etc. Doesn’t look like travel bans will be enforced just yet. Blue cross still covers medical under travel advisories. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-advise-citizens-against-non-essential-international-travel-due-to-omicron-variant-1.5707466

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

As just announced, So far looks like it will be the advisory against non essential international travel and continued testing, etc. Doesn’t look like travel bans will be enforced just yet. Blue cross still covers medical under travel advisories. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-advise-citizens-against-non-essential-international-travel-due-to-omicron-variant-1.5707466

We have blue cross ontario.. Where does it say that? "Still covers medical".. That's the one thing that would stop us.

2 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

We have blue cross ontario.. Where does it say that? "Still covers medical".. That's the one thing that would stop us.

We took their emergency medical coverage benefit for medical and it covers cruises, covid and advisories if any. If you go up their FAQ page, they outline in detail. Does not cover trip cancellation.  Link and snapshot below:

https://on.bluecross.ca/coronavirus-updates

Do you cover COVID-19 if government advisories have been issued?

Emergency Medical Care benefit

Yes, if you meet the pre-existing medical condition requirements of your contract. For example, if you tested positive for COVID-19 or had symptoms before the effective date of your contract, you will not be covered for this illness. However, while the travel advisories of the Government of Canada do not affect your coverage, we recommend that you follow government and health authority recommendations.

Trip Cancellation or Interruption benefit

No. Trip Cancellation or Interruption Insurance does not cover situations that were known at the time the insurance contract was purchased or the trip was booked. We consider COVID-19 to be a known situation since March 12, 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity offers this guarantee - should we still try to get more health coverage?  Trip interrupt / cancellation won’t do anything because of the current advisory, just thinking of the health side:

Safe Passage Home

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required*.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scuppersisontheboat said:

Celebrity offers this guarantee - should we still try to get more health coverage?  Trip interrupt / cancellation won’t do anything because of the current advisory, just thinking of the health side:

Safe Passage Home

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required*.

I'm sure the number crunchers at the Royal group are hard at work calculating the projected cost of this 'benefit' with the new Omicron variant.  If this variant is as transmissible as it first appears we could be hearing a new cruising term in the near future, force majeure. 

So if you are relying on this 'benefit' to still be in-force when you cruise may  I suggest you  🙏 and  🤞

11 hours ago, K_e_short said:

It's wild.  
I kept reading the stories of Canadians going to the US during the pandemic and getting hospitalized, just shaking my head. 

I am willing to take a lot of risk travelling.  I would not travel without medical insurance.  The was my primary factor in cancelling my cruise when the pandemic first hit.  Once they put the travel advisory in place and our medical coverage was void, the trip was off. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

May I ask what the Canadian Carnival Cruisers Fb is?  I would like to join it.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Traveling without any health insurance or traveling without extra health insurance? Lots of people will have out of province/out of state health insurance plans with their employers/unions etc. 

39 minutes ago, nissach said:

May I ask what the Canadian Carnival Cruisers Fb is?  I would like to join it.  Thanks!

I hope the links works:

https://www.*****/2849956635269717

clearly the *** is to be replaced with the *****

I'm sure you can search for it as well - the title is Canadian Carnival Cruise Fans

Edited by K_e_short