CVS rapid antigen vs CVS rapid PCR test

mattswiss

30 minutes ago, jeno said:

We are currently scheduled for the CVS PCR (Rapid Test) with results in a couple of hours.  I’m wondering if that test is one of the above.  

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Test type: Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)

The above are taken directly off the CVS website.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crawford said:

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Test type: Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)

The above are taken directly off the CVS website.

My appointment-

For travel, be sure your destination accepts this test.

Test type: Rapid (PCR)

Required for most travel

Results within hours

This is from my confirmation email. We registered on the CVS site, but were routed to a community testing site from there. Confirmation came from CVS. So that explains the difference in what we are seeing. There were no rapid tests offered at CvS stores in our area.  Only PCR with 1-3 day results. 

Edited by jeno

23 minutes ago, jeno said:

My appointment-

For travel, be sure your destination accepts this test.

Test type: Rapid (PCR)

Required for most travel

Results within hours

This is from my confirmation email. We registered on the CVS site, but were routed to a community testing site from there. Confirmation came from CVS. So that explains the difference in what we are seeing. There were no rapid tests offered at CvS stores in our area.  Only PCR with 1-3 day results. 

As you say, I did check with CVS here in FL yesterday and found out they don't do the rapid test. 

I then checked with Walgreens & they do perform it (by appointment only and with a max of 4 days apt schedule). 

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

As you say, I did check with CVS here in FL yesterday and found out they don't do the rapid test. 

I then checked with Walgreens & they do perform it (by appointment only and with a max of 4 days apt schedule). 

CVS (Dade City, FL) did the Rapid PCR for my spouse and me two weeks ago.  Easy appt via the website.  Results texted within 48 hours.

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

CVS (Dade City, FL) did the Rapid PCR for my spouse and me two weeks ago.  Easy appt via the website.  Results texted within 48 hours.

At one time they were doing the Rapid PCR test here as well.

Strange they should stop now.

As long as Walgreens is doing it, they're just as convenient. 

2 hours ago, jeno said:

I ordered this test on January 27.  It said it would arrive Jan 29-31.  Today is February 1 and it says it hasn’t been shipped yet. Allow plenty of time. 

I just ordered these kits also yesterday Jan. 31, they shipped today Feb. 1, and is suppose to arrive tomorrow Feb. 2.  I think they just restocked recently, hopefully we will be receiving later expiration dates on these.  

2 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

We had Rapid test at CVS in Ponte Vedra FL for our Enchanted NYE cruise. It was easy and had results in about 3 hrs. 

I am using a CVS where I live in suburb of Atlanta  on Feb 10 for my next cruise before flying to Miami

How much you paid for your test at CVS?

Be sure to have a backup plan. Last cruise my wife and I got our COVID tests at Walgreens. She got her results back within 4 or 5 hours. I never got my test results back. I had to pay $125 to get my COVID Test done.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, cjpj said:

It is generally not acceptable for international air travel.

You can travel into the US with an antigen test but you need a PCR test to re-enter Canada. I hope that changes soon to an antigen test both ways. 

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

How much you paid for your test at CVS?

They took my Kaiser Senior Advantage HMO.  Was not sure if Kaiser would pay.  I went on line the other day to look at my claim history.  It was billed at $159.  Kaiser paid $112.  Not sure if there were any markdowns but so far I have not gotten an invoice and test was taken Dec 27.

Maybe that new rule that all  insurance companies have to pay for tests worked.  But I submitted my insurance again so see if they pay twice.

And I have another cruise March 13!

No one will take the ones the government are sending out becasue they are not proctored. Just for your own personal use to see if safe to go to school, family gatherings, etc.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:25 PM, chubbypiggy said:

If I buy the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test 3-pack kit for $99.99, can my family of 3 persons each use our own cell phone to get a personal virtual visit with an eMed Certified Guide who will help us properly administer the test and the third-party verifies the result? Will each of us be provided via our own email address with the official eMed Labs report in order to board our cruise? Or each of us needs to buy our own test kit?

Yes, you can use each of the 3 test kits for different people. You will each need to create your own account on the NAVICA app (download the appropriate version for your phone or tablet). When you start the test, the online proctor will need to scan the bar code on the individual test box (do not open until told to do so!) and then it will be linked to your NAVICA account for subsequent test results which you will receive almost immediately after the final step.

14 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

I just ordered these kits also yesterday Jan. 31, they shipped today Feb. 1, and is suppose to arrive tomorrow Feb. 2.  I think they just restocked recently, hopefully we will be receiving later expiration dates on these.  

I just got a 6 pack of these tests from eMed a couple weeks ago and they had expiration dates almost a full year out - so at least they seem to be through their old almost expired stock that they were sending out a few months ago.

16 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

They took my Kaiser Senior Advantage HMO.  Was not sure if Kaiser would pay.  I went on line the other day to look at my claim history.  It was billed at $159.  Kaiser paid $112.  Not sure if there were any markdowns but so far I have not gotten an invoice and test was taken Dec 27.

Maybe that new rule that all  insurance companies have to pay for tests worked.  But I submitted my insurance again so see if they pay twice.

No one will take the ones the government are sending out becasue they are not proctored. Just for your own personal use to see if safe to go to school, family gatherings, etc.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, Upper Bob said:

Yes, you can use each of the 3 test kits for different people. You will each need to create your own account on the NAVICA app (download the appropriate version for your phone or tablet). When you start the test, the online proctor will need to scan the bar code on the individual test box (do not open until told to do so!) and then it will be linked to your NAVICA account for subsequent test results which you will receive almost immediately after the final step.

Thank you.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:33 PM, Upper Bob said:

Thanks for this explanation.  Can you confirm that we don’t have to make a virtual appointment ahead of time? In other words after we set up NAVICA app and create our account that the proctor will be available?  Thanks for clarification, so much of this testing has involved making future appointments, wondering how this works with the NAVICA app.

6 hours ago, Augustina said:

Thanks for this explanation.  Can you confirm that we don’t have to make a virtual appointment ahead of time? In other words after we set up NAVICA app and create our account that the proctor will be available?  Thanks for clarification, so much of this testing has involved making future appointments, wondering how this works with the NAVICA app.

You do not need to setup an appointment in advance.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:10 PM, Eaglecw said:

Be sure to have a backup plan. Last cruise my wife and I got our COVID tests at Walgreens. She got her results back within 4 or 5 hours. I never got my test results back. I had to pay $125 to get my COVID Test done.

I have had mixed results with Walgreens also.

16 minutes ago, thisislou said:

Checking the CVS website, the same I used 3 times prior for cruises all of a sudden now says it will cost me $139 - what did I miss?

It looks to me that they dropped the question regarding travel (is this for travel purposes?).  In the past that was one of the first questions.  That 'yes' meant there was no charge.  Without that question you can end up answering no to all the questions and that means you don't qualify for a free test. 

51 minutes ago, thisislou said:

Checking the CVS website, the same I used 3 times prior for cruises all of a sudden now says it will cost me $139 - what did I miss?

Same here in CA. Insurance reimbursed me for the emed tests I ended up purchasing for the last cruise and the remaining ones I have are now expired 😞 so just placed another order.

9 hours ago, Augustina said:

As Coral said, no appointment necessary and you can take the test anytime 24/7.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, gardenbunny said:

Which type of rapid test, PCR or antigen? I assume antigen as rapid PCR is usually even more expensive.  

You can still get rapid antigen at CVS in Southern California if you can find an appointment. I was surprised that new appointments popped up in Seal Beach a few days ago. Maybe they got a batch of test kits. PS They also had the free N95 masks, just ask at the registers.

1 hour ago, mlgb said:

Which type of rapid test, PCR or antigen? I assume antigen as rapid PCR is usually even more expensive.  

You can still get rapid antigen at CVS in Southern California if you can find an appointment. I was surprised that new appointments popped up in Seal Beach a few days ago. Maybe they got a batch of test kits. PS They also had the free N95 masks, just ask at the registers.

I noticed the word travel was missing from when I did my first one Dec 28.  Thanks for confirming that I thought something was different.  We did rapid antigen - the one with results in hours vs days.

• Like 1