Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

27 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Thank you for this reality check.  This is so true.  I find the talk on these forums often adopts a predominantly negative view of circumstances and thrives on perpetuating unfounded speculation and rumour.  The reality of course is that only a tiny minority of those who cruise (a fraction of a percent) actually post on these boards, so they provide a very skewed insight into what is actually happening in the real world.

P and O currently operating cruises at less than 50 per cent capacity

You cannot possibly therefore describe what's happening in the real world as a loss of a "tiny minority" or a "fraction of a percent" of cruisers

Your personal interpretation of a reality check is far far from reality I'm afraid ?

People who post on here love cruising hence they joined the forum in the first place

Right now it's very hard for many not to be able to enjoy their regular cruise holidays without all these added risks and unknowns

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Fair enough. People like you are keeping the cruiselines in business now for which we’re all grateful. But it’s people like me and Jean, Selbourne and  Dermotsgirl to name just a few that they need to persuade to return to cruising if they want to keep going in the longer term. 

So true.  I thrive on facts, openness and honesty and facing up to reality.

So far, I haven't been too impressed  with P&O on those fronts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Thank you for this reality check.  This is so true.  I find the talk on these forums often adopts a predominantly negative view of circumstances and thrives on perpetuating unfounded speculation and rumour.  The reality of course is that only a tiny minority of those who cruise (a fraction of a percent) actually post on these boards, so they provide a very skewed insight into what is actually happening in the real world.

I post here, my husband doesn’t and my children don’t. Neither do my parents. Neither do at least 4 family groups who took the cruising plunge once we starting sharing our cruise experiences with them about 10 years ago. We’ve casually discussed cruising in passing with these groups over the last few months and nobody is in the least big interested at the moment. I stress, at the moment. We’re all hoping that things will change. In the meantime, we’ve all enjoyed some lovely breaks in the UK this year. Not being negative, just that’s what happening in our very real world. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I post here, my husband doesn’t and my children don’t. Neither do my parents. Neither do at least 4 family groups who took the cruising plunge once we starting sharing our cruise experiences with them about 10 years ago. We’ve casually discussed cruising in passing with these groups over the last few months and nobody is in the least big interested at the moment. I stress, at the moment. We’re all hoping that things will change. In the meantime, we’ve all enjoyed some lovely breaks in the UK this year. Not being negative, just that’s what happening in our very real world. 

Agree. Have done over 60 cruises, normally 6 per year, and love it. Just too risky at the moment but hoping to be back on board in 22. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Thanks for the update Megabear

So are you finding you are  generally allowed in the Port Areas only without need for testing?

Or this is just a nice exception

We would like that short escape from the boat as we've visited most of the Caribbean Islands a lot in the past

We have had no restrictions in any port or any testing until today.  People have been free to wander as they wish.  St Vincent required testing and an organised tour if you wished to leave the port.  We had no plans to leave at St Vincent as we have done most of the P&O tours here before.  We have spent time ashore enjoying the shops and hospitality of the locals.  There is musical entertainment ashore by two former Aurora band members who came home after she was laid up.  Had a great couple of hours enjoying their music and a couple of local beers. 

Tomorrow in Grenada we have to go on a tour to leave the port area but no test requirements.  We are waiting to hear if the beaches are open (they have to date been closed) before deciding on whether to tour or stay in the port area.  There are no restrictions or testing requirements for our remaining ports except tour required in St Kitts.

I can truthfully say apart from the mask wearing on-board and social distancing once ashore not had any problems at all.  In fact today those of us in the port had a sing song and be a couple enjoyed a socially distanced dance - the lady in question was 81 and a Tom Jones fan who couldn't resist It's Not Unusual!

I'm seriously thinking of booking another trip late January/February whilst onboard and the price so good!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

Pax going on the 35 night Caribbean cruise on Ventura on 3 January  have had an e mail stating that they need to have a booster to be able to go. It also appears that there is an option to cancel and have a refund. 

Already being discussed in " Booster needed for Caribbean " thread. 

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We have had no restrictions in any port or any testing until today.  People have been free to wander as they wish.  St Vincent required testing and an organised tour if you wished to leave the port.  We had no plans to leave at St Vincent as we have done most of the P&O tours here before.  We have spent time ashore enjoying the shops and hospitality of the locals.  There is musical entertainment ashore by two former Aurora band members who came home after she was laid up.  Had a great couple of hours enjoying their music and a couple of local beers. 

Tomorrow in Grenada we have to go on a tour to leave the port area but no test requirements.  We are waiting to hear if the beaches are open (they have to date been closed) before deciding on whether to tour or stay in the port area.  There are no restrictions or testing requirements for our remaining ports except tour required in St Kitts.

I can truthfully say apart from the mask wearing on-board and social distancing once ashore not had any problems at all.  In fact today those of us in the port had a sing song and be a couple enjoyed a socially distanced dance - the lady in question was 81 and a Tom Jones fan who couldn't resist It's Not Unusual!

I'm seriously thinking of booking another trip late January/February whilst onboard and the price so good!

Sounds great 

We love the areas next to the caribbean ports

Always great for a cocktail and music

8 hours ago, Cristaltips said:

Pax going on the 35 night Caribbean cruise on Ventura on 3 January  have had an e mail stating that they need to have a booster to be able to go. It also appears that there is an option to cancel and have a refund. 

I dont believe it is an open option, just the terms for those failing the new protocols.

interesting article today on USA Travel website

One of the MSC ships has an outbreak and the article says all those impacted were moved to balcony cabin quarantine which no doubt is better than interior cabin quarantine 

And there's comments from the CDC that some of the Caribbean Island have very limited resources to manage covid with so are refusing the ships entry to their ports when they inform them of their positive cases on board

Which I assume in turn negates the chances of being quarantined at these ports?

However, I guess that's going to put more pressure on the medical teams on the ships themselves  to manage multiple cases for multiple days

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It all gets worse really.  Have just taken the decision to now move my October 2022 cruise to 2023.  TA dealing with it.  So that's 2 in 2023 and nothing this next year.  We will do something else.

We have got 6 cruises/holidays booked for next year, so the calendar is getting pretty full. Shame really. All you folk cancelling may mean a few cheapies around. I suppose we could squeeze a couple more in.🤔

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:41 AM, Selbourne said:

I was under the impression that if you are quarantined you get at least the level of cabin that you paid for, so most will be balcony cabins. In fact someone on here reported that friends had been quarantined in a suite (and they weren’t suite passengers). Still not my idea of a holiday, even in a suite, but I don’t think that everyone gets an inside cabin!

The vast majority of quarantine cabins are standard balconys. There are a few suites caught within the quarantine areas. No one is supposed to be given an inside cabin for quarantine unless as a last resort. The only specific cabins allocated are disabled cabins if they need to quarantine a disabled passenger.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, tring said:

From when the draft of those Healthy Gateway rules were first published they were reportedly being followed by the UK and presumably other non EU countries in Europe as well as CLIA and the cruise lines.  As the cruise lines travel between different countries within Europe it had to be co ordinated procedures.

So yes, it applies to the UK.

Its a framework, its not law. Not every country is following every part of it.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, terrierjohn said:

Your comment would be fully acceptable if quarantine meant confined on the ship and brought back to Southampton, but being offloaded abroad is a different matter; especially if the covid strain leads only to mild illness or being assymptomatic.

Again, not P&O's call.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:52 AM, Swanseasailor said:

Hi Molecrochip while we still await confirmation on Omicron leading to milder illness it has been established that it is highly transmissible.

what would be the protocol should a mass breakout occur. If as anticipated it proves to be milder would passengers be able to remain onboard rather than be removed at next port.

And is there a set number of Omicron/delta cases on any cruise before the cruise would be declared unsafe and abandoned. 

The data has been available in the public domain since early this week however its only really today /late yesterday that the news outlets are running stories on it. Its all been Boris, parties and restrictions until now. I believe the official stats are 10% to 50% the strength of the Delta variant but significantly more transmissible.

There is a mass outbreak protocol. In short, go to a port and stay there. You can confine to cabin and carry on such as Diamond Princess but with better infection control measures to avoid transmission and creating new cases.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, bobstheboy said:

Thank you for your reply confirming social media reports of Covid on Iona. Your comments are dismissive of the seriousness to passengers, who are being put ashore on Spanish territory, isolated and have to fly home. Many, my wife and I included, do not want this and it is not the holiday we signed up for. You only mention the arrangements onboard, not what happens when you reach the first Spanish port.

If a Spanish port insists on you being offloaded then 100% of the arrangements are made by the Spanish authority. 

23 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

P and O currently operating cruises at less than 50 per cent capacity

This is not accurate. P&O's available capacity is up to around 70% however in the last few weeks there have been significant numbers of cancellations due to sickness / close contacts etc which have dropped actual sailed capacity. Also not every cruise is selling out of that 70% but thats not unusual in winter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

The vast majority of quarantine cabins are standard balconys. There are a few suites caught within the quarantine areas. No one is supposed to be given an inside cabin for quarantine unless as a last resort. The only specific cabins allocated are disabled cabins if they need to quarantine a disabled passenger.

So does that mean that passengers in an accessible balcony cabin could be quarantined in an accessible inside cabin? My wife is a full time wheelchair user and can only use a wetroom. The prospect of being confined to an accessible balcony cabin is enough to put us off cruising at present, but being confined to an inside cabin would be unbearable. You even get a window in a prison cell (so I’m told)!

16 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Again, not P&O's call.

The data has been available in the public domain since early this week however its only really today /late yesterday that the news outlets are running stories on it. Its all been Boris, parties and restrictions until now. I believe the official stats are 10% to 50% the strength of the Delta variant but significantly more transmissible.

There is a mass outbreak protocol. In short, go to a port and stay there. You can confine to cabin and carry on such as Diamond Princess but with better infection control measures to avoid transmission and creating new cases.

If a Spanish port insists on you being offloaded then 100% of the arrangements are made by the Spanish authority. 

This is not accurate. P&O's available capacity is up to around 70% however in the last few weeks there have been significant numbers of cancellations due to sickness / close contacts etc which have dropped actual sailed capacity. Also not every cruise is selling out of that 70% but thats not unusual in winter.

Happy Christmas Molecrochip and thanks for all the clarifications and information you have given over this year,

Barbara

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Again, not P&O's call.

Sorry didnt mean P and O were deliberately cruising at less than 50 per cent capacity. But rather  the reality is thats how many are choosing to cruise with them at the moment 

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Sorry didnt mean P and O were deliberately cruising at less than 50 per cent capacity. But rather  the reality is thats how many are choosing to cruise with them at the moment 

I think its the reality of how many are actually sailing. Britannia's Christmas cruise is only about 30% full but bookings were at 70% (+?) at the vaccine policy changed in the Caribbean. Even since then I don't believe that bookings dipped below 50% until cancellations and postponements started happening because of Covid. This particular cruise has had an amazing number of late cancellations.

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

So does that mean that passengers in an accessible balcony cabin could be quarantined in an accessible inside cabin? My wife is a full time wheelchair user and can only use a wetroom. The prospect of being confined to an accessible balcony cabin is enough to put us off cruising at present, but being confined to an inside cabin would be unbearable. You even get a window in a prison cell (so I’m told)!

So there was some rejuggling of quarantine zones back in September to ensure that accessible balcony cabins were included and available. Failing that a suite may be offered if available in the quarantine zone & suitable. Other options are available like offering an accessible inside with access to a balcony for fresh air. Suitable for some but not all, and probably not in your case, for which I really do understand.

The ultimate backstop is to quarantine in cabin. How that is done depends on location, whether you are a close contact or actually positive. Are the cabins in use next door etc. (i.e. is there are risk of you opening a door at the point a non-infected person walks past. Could those people be moved.

Its all on a case by case basis and the crew are very sensitive that you book an accessible balcony cabin for a specific reason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

So there was some rejuggling of quarantine zones back in September to ensure that accessible balcony cabins were included and available. Failing that a suite may be offered if available in the quarantine zone & suitable. Other options are available like offering an accessible inside with access to a balcony for fresh air. Suitable for some but not all, and probably not in your case, for which I really do understand.

The ultimate backstop is to quarantine in cabin. How that is done depends on location, whether you are a close contact or actually positive. Are the cabins in use next door etc. (i.e. is there are risk of you opening a door at the point a non-infected person walks past. Could those people be moved.

Its all on a case by case basis and the crew are very sensitive that you book an accessible balcony cabin for a specific reason.

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive reply to my question. I am sure that helpful information such as this might reassure those who are in a similar position to my wife but still willing to risk cruising in the current climate. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive reply to my question. I am sure that helpful information such as this might reassure those who are in a similar position to my wife but still willing to risk cruising in the current climate. Much appreciated. 

There has also been a push to ensure those booking accessible cabins are doing so for the right reasons. Its not about checking up or questioning any disability but ensuring that they are available for the correct people.

Any example given is someone who takes a collapsible wheelchair which they need on excursions or off the ship because they can't walk far. When the accessible cabins were available to book online, the number of people booking one for such a purpose shot up, when they can in fact use a standard cabin unlike a wheelchair bound person who cannot.

You'll note accessible cabins are now back to being booked via the contact centre.