Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Agreed. RCL obviously knew their target market in the US would not accept the testing regime imposed by Carnival.

Says a great deal about RCL - yet another reason to avoid cruising with them.

RC not telling the truth either according to this passenger

Claiming none of their positive cases had any symptoms

ICF - Not all cancellations are to 'play safe'.

I cancelled our January 3rd cruise because I couldn't risk testing positive onboard and they being off loaded on a Caribbean island.

As someone who doesn't fly how would I get home?  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I cancelled our January 3rd cruise because I couldn't risk testing positive onboard and they being off loaded on a Caribbean island.

Same here, a lot of people are more worried about being quarantined than they are of catching covid. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

That 100 per cent falls into my definition of playing safe?

I feel exactly same as you tbh I consider myself and my wife young and healthy enough not to worry about the risk of covid itself

But like you I'm not expecting to holiday in New Year now due to the other risks we face like a terrible quarantine hotel etc

Either way thats still playing safe and will reduce the number of positive cases as many more take same choices as us

You don't have to be scared of covid to change your plans and automatically play safe and reduce your risks accordingly

Most of us just want a straightforward happy holiday 

But we realise we cant guarantee it right now

We are booked to spend 4 days in London between xmas and new year

I'm pretty convinced there will be next to nothing left open for us to enjoy there even as close as that 

We've already had a message to say our booked boxing day brunch won't be operating

We've got tickets to a show that I doubt will operate on the 27th

I'm on standby to cancel everything and rebook for June tbh

No point going if the things we want to do can't happen

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That 100 per cent falls into my definition of playing safe?

I feel exactly same as you tbh I consider myself and my wife young and healthy enough not to worry about the risk of covid itself

But like you I'm not expecting to holiday in New Year now due to the other risks we face like a terrible quarantine hotel etc

Either way thats still playing safe and will reduce the number of positive cases as many more take same choices as us

You don't have to be scared of covid to change your plans and automatically play safe and reduce your risks accordingly

If I knew 100% that I would not be off loaded if I tested positive instead quarantining onboard, then I would gladly gone ahead with the cruise. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

If I knew 100% that I would not be off loaded if I tested positive instead quarantining onboard, then I would gladly gone ahead with the cruise. 

If I knew that we wouldn’t be off loaded,  I wouldn’t be so concerned about my February cruise. That scares me more than catching COVID 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pirate Pete 56 said:

I am booked on Britannia from New Years eve for a 2 week cruise. I am concerned that I may end up stuck onboard if none of the islands allow a 'sick ship' to dock. 

There is talk of the PM introducing a lockdown .Can I get a refund if the cruise is not cancelled?

I believe you will be able to get a FCC

Not sure on refunds unless cruise gets cancelled and even then think they will push for you to get FCC

Others will know more

2 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I think ships sail all year, particularly Fyffes and Geest. They take a few passengers.

We are due to join Ventura on 29th December.  We have three under 18s in our party and they are required to take a PCR test no more than 120 hours before departure.  Because of the Christmas closure at the test centre, the earliest they can get it to the centre is by courier on 27th with no guarantee it will be back by 29th.  As they will have to take a PCR test along with everyone else before boarding this seems to be an unnecessary hassle.

We know that Germany has shut its borders but P&O is still selling shore excursions to Hamburg!  With France and Holland also shut there are few alternative ports of call.  I am amazed that we have heard nothing from P&O.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Maybe our cruises will be OK because the case numbers have dropped for two days. Has Omicron already peaked so no need for travel bans.

I think  you may be right. Cruises are totally different to "normal " life. For a start,  every one has been vaccinated twice,  and will be tested again before boarding. Safer than Wetherspoons. 

I can see  P&O and other cruise lines requiring booster jabs by mid January,  by which time everyone will have had the opportunity to be  jabbed.

• Like 2

Quick update.  We are due Curacao tomorrow.  Announcement this evening asking if anyone had been in the "normal" African bogey list countries in last 14 days, apart from this no restrictions just to carry proof of vaccination.  All onboard relaxed and happy and being cautious but having fun.

From tomorrow we are down to Meridian restaurant only as no need for more with low numbers.  Just been told by an officer we chatted with that the next cruise with arrivals 31/12 and 01/01 still has 2,200 expected passengers and so far numbers through January look to be remaining stable. He stated the opinion that the refusal to drop Christmas cruise prices did not help the numbers for this cruise but head office did offer people option to change as far as he is aware.  

Message to ICF, yes everybody very comfortable and glad to be in the controlled environment. Mostly people are pleased that the PCR was insisted on by Barbados as it's a much stronger test.  Not heard anyone say they wished they hadn't come or felt unsafe.

For our part just heard that 4 family members now struck down with Covid at home. They are not the four who cruised on Iona who are in fine good health but these others have apparently caught it from the baby of the family  who now has her mum, grandma and great grandma sick. We still feel safer here!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update and good to hear any positive news at the moment Megabear. Not sure if you are stopping at Castries on your cruise but while we were there we were warned not to wear any bling as a guy had a necklace ripped from around his neck. I would go on an organised tour if going there again, we did not feel safe.

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Not heard anyone say they wished they hadn't come or felt unsafe.

I wouldn't expect anyone on board to say anything else Megabear providing they or contacts  don't test positive during the trip 

If everyone on board gets home safely without quarantine etc then they've all made the exact right decision and will have had a great break

The chances  of individual  problems remain very slim so vast vast majority of passengers will no doubt come home very happy, relaxed and tanned etc

The people not who wouldn't feel safe on board and/or not prepared to take the risk of overseas quarantine won't be on the boat in the first place. They've already made that choice

They have either postponed or not booked in the first place

Hence such low numbers for a cruise which would be full in the normal world

The low numbers will also help make the cruise much safer for those that have travelled

Hopefully the entire ship will stay covid free throughout the 14 days and everybody will remain glad they went ahead

If I had to predict then I imagine just a  handful will get unlucky during the 14 days but as I say vast vast majority will be fine  and just a handful will end up wishing they had stayed at home

Having said all that I'm sure more woukd have caught covid had they stayed in UK for 14 days. Albeit they would not be quarantining abroad if they caught it

Its catch 22 I guess. 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Technoman2 said:

Thanks for the update and good to hear any positive news at the moment Megabear. Not sure if you are stopping at Castries on your cruise but while we were there we were warned not to wear any bling as a guy had a necklace ripped from around his neck. I would go on an organised tour if going there again, we did not feel safe.

Thanks. Yes we are going to Castries and on tour. Well aware of safety risks there as unfortunately the necklace ripping happened to our friend in 2018.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having said all that I'm sure more woukd have caught covid had they stayed in UK for 14 days. Albeit they would not be quarantining abroad if they caught it

Its catch 22 I guess. 

Our news from home has gone from bad to worse! Another family group now has three members struck down!  My sister in law is in the original group and has been analysed and they all have Delta not Omicron.  They've been visited by COVID police (her words not mine) offering help and support, particularly for the single mum with her 15 month old baby.  The latter has received a warning for putting her rubbish out and told to store it for the next 8 days if she has no one to put it out.

The adults are all booster jabbed.

On the cruise side booster jabs for crew start next week apparently. I was told yesterday that so far no one has become ill with covid on any of the P&O Caribbean sailings although obviously this is only from the officer crew member we chatted with. 

Our only problem remains excursions changing.

• Like 4

I saw an interesting and balanced report on a certain social media site, relating to someone's experiences on last weeks Iona cruise.

They thought the ship was lovely, and food and staff excellent, and liked their cabin.

But thought Covid protocols were not adequate.

In summary

Lifts - no restrictions, people just pile in.

Dining - not socially distanced, if you had a table for two, another couple would be placed on the next table within touching distance.

Buffet - people skipping the washing and sanitising facilities, passengers helping themselves to food using shared tongs.

Masks - majority of passengers wore their masks 

Theatre - although they had to book, they found that people would come in and sit right next to them instead of spreading out around the theatre.

Sky Dome and Club house - busy venues, no masks

Testing - just a mere tickle up the nose -- the writer wondered if this was adequate.

They did speak to reception about their concerns, but not entirely reassured that they cared.

On the last morning the writer's husband woke up with a headache and sore throat As they had self disembarkation they got off the ship asap, and when they got home he tested positive on a LFT.

If this report is true ( I don't see why not, it is well written and many people commenting say their experiences were similar), then I think P&O urgently need to up their game on Iona.  When Omicron finds its way on board, they will likely have significant problems 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I saw an interesting and balanced report on a certain social media site, relating to someone's experiences on last weeks Iona cruise.

They thought the ship was lovely, and food and staff excellent, and liked their cabin.

But thought Covid protocols were not adequate.

In summary

Lifts - no restrictions, people just pile in.

Dining - not socially distanced, if you had a table for two, another couple would be placed on the next table within touching distance.

Buffet - people skipping the washing and sanitising facilities, passengers helping themselves to food using shared tongs.

Masks - majority of passengers wore their masks 

Theatre - although they had to book, they found that people would come in and sit right next to them instead of spreading out around the theatre.

Pretty much how things were on our recent Ventura cruise.  Although I thought that people spread themselves out in the theatre as well as in Havana and Tamarind.  Also, I don't recall anyone not wearing a mask, apart from maybe the odd person forgetting and rushing to put their mask once they had realised - myself included on one occasion! 

• Like 4

i am very surprised that the buffett is still self serve.  Also the design of P&O ships means there are many entrances to thre buffett and no-one to police sanitation.  RC have a single way into buffet and everyone HAS to wash hands or they not allowed in

18 minutes ago, Castle25 said:

i am very surprised that the buffett is still self serve.  Also the design of P&O ships means there are many entrances to thre buffett and no-one to police sanitation.  RC have a single way into buffet and everyone HAS to wash hands or they not allowed in

Iona's buffet was not self service in august except you could get your own tea/coffee. At busy times they had staff operating the tea/coffee stations.

• Like 1

I'm due to do a 35night cruise 3rd jan on ventura, it seems all the carribean islands are throwing up barriers currently with some expecting a test in the previous 24 hrs prior to arrival. As we are going to lots of Islands highly likely to cost a packet in testing for every one just to enjoy a few hrs ashore.

Booked this cruise a very long time ago, as as its so close to the date we wont be able to defer without financial loss into 5 figs.

However we really want  to go, and although the safety measures the cruise ships have adopted worked well for normal Covid, seeing some of the factual examples coming out from Norway, point to a fact that they are totally inadequate  due to current runaway transmissibility. Throw into the mix the length of cruise (cant easily get off if in incubation period, and fact that nearly everyone will be elderly and retired, I've real fears of total chaos). Think one major problems is the Caribbean is a few weeks behind the UK in people becoming infected, and by the time we sail there..might find all ports shut, and infection raging on board??? 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/world-news/omicron-super-spreader-party-norway-22368868