Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks

bubbadogmom

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

I would not feel that you are not being a good Canadian/global citizen if you decide to travel.  Dr.  Tam today said that we already have community spread.   So the chances of catching/spreading the virus may very well be as great by staying in Canada than from travelling.   It all depends on what you do when you travel.  If you are going on a cruise and plan to self distance, you are probably safer and have less chance of catching/spreading the virus than if you are walking around an indoor mall in Canada.

Both activities that are discouraged. Sigh.

Would love to hear about refund policies from different cruise lines for travel during the new advisory.  So far it appears that Carnival and Princess will issue a FCC and Oceania is refusing to do anything at all.  If you were set to depart in the next month and have decided to cancel please let me know what your experience is.  Thanks!

Even before the new advisory, we had cancelled 4 cruises due to leave in the spring. Various reasons including personal health, the exploding variant in Europe, port restrictions in the UK, and uncertainty about the Russia/Ukraine situation. The 3 Princess ones will take up to 6-10 weeks to get our money back. Viking had it in my account when I got up this morning. I was impressed! All were  deposits only as we had not yet passed final payment.

6 hours ago, mjox32 said:

So those of us with Cruises in the next 4 weeks.  Are you going?    As of this moment we still plan to go.  More stress... ugh  😩🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, edrussell said:

We are still planning on cruising on Jan 20, 2022.  Advisories not withstanding.  This doesn't come without a lot of thought and consideration.  It is our personal assessment of the risk.  I completely understand those who decide against it.

We’ve also assessed the risk, and are still planning to cruise on Dec 26. 

• Like 7

I'm glad to have found this forum.

We are scheduled to be on a Celebrity cruise starting Jan 3 from Fort Lauderdale. Today's travel advisory puts a damper in things but people were travelling during the last advisory just as well. This will be our first international travel since Covid and we really, really want to go.

We are NOT planning to cancel unless some more restrictions or outright travel bans are put in place. We understand the risks but will be super cautious on the ship, including wearing a mask indoors (even if no one else is).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigtony22127 said:

We are NOT planning to cancel unless some more restrictions or outright travel bans are put in place. We understand the risks but will be super cautious on the ship, including wearing a mask indoors (even if no one else is).

This. We will be wearing our masks at all times unless we are physically putting a drink or food in our mouths. Without exception. We bought new n95-level masks just for the occasion.

• Like 4

We're scheduled to cruise in three weeks. My concern isn't about catching omicron, but that by the time my cruise rolls around, the rules are going to be clamped down harder and it won't be a voluntary travel restriction anymore.

Look at the comments on this forum. 80% or more have no intention of changing their holiday plans. I imagine it's not that different in the general population either.

And to be clear, this is not a criticism of those people. Most of us have followed the rules, got our shots, been patient as life finally started getting back to normal, and the rug's suddenly been pulled out from us right at the holidays.

So the voluntary restrictions are going to be ignored by more people who don't want their Christmas ruined for a second straight year. And then the restrictions are not going to be voluntary. And I think that's going to happen I before the calendar turns to 2022.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, gubby said:

Even before the new advisory, we had cancelled 4 cruises due to leave in the spring. Various reasons including personal health, the exploding variant in Europe, port restrictions in the UK, and uncertainty about the Russia/Ukraine situation. The 3 Princess ones will take up to 6-10 weeks to get our money back. Viking had it in my account when I got up this morning. I was impressed! All were  deposits only as we had not yet passed final payment.

I congratulate you on cancelling your booked cruises, as I had done too)!

In my view,as a (retired) 'Front Line' R.N., I would advise against anyone travelling internationally, (as well as provincially) for the forseeable future; (until a Omicron 'specific' Vaccine has been developed for administration, presumeably late next Spring!

BTW, I was in our local Costco Wholesale yesterday and there were three LARGE vboxes of the 'Marketplace' approved 'MedSup Canada KN95 Masks', from whcih I purchased 1 box of 20 masks for $7.99 + hst!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I congratulate you on cancelling your booked cruises, as I had done too)!

In my view,as a (retired) 'Front Line' R.N., I would advise against anyone travelling internationally, (as well as provincially) for the forseeable future; (until a Omicron 'specific' Vaccine has been developed for administration, presumeably late next Spring!

BTW, I was in our local Costco Wholesale yesterday and there were three LARGE vboxes of the 'Marketplace' approved 'MedSup Canada KN95 Masks', from whcih I purchased 1 box of 20 masks for $7.99 + hst!

Thanks for the Costco tip. We will go over this morning to check.

• Like 1

Cancelling is a personal choice for so many different reasons - for us, it is mostly based on our employer's rules and our level of safety.  Based on reviews of cruise life and safety measures I feel pretty safe to cruise.  If we have to quarantine after our cruise we would have to cancel as we're not willing to waste 2 additional weeks vacation to sit at home.

I am confused by the number of people cancelling because of the Advisory being implemented again when the Advisory to not take ANY cruise has never been lifted.  If we were all taking the Cdn Gov't advise there would be no bookings to cancel in the first place.  

I also wonder if anyone has experienced travel shaming?  When we planned a trip to Punta Cana in October we got a lot of comments and looks - like we were being irresponsible.  We genuinely felt guilt right up until the Advisory was lifted and we didn't feel like a criminal leaving the country!  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, melbrook said:

I am confused by the number of people cancelling because of the Advisory being implemented again when the Advisory to not take ANY cruise has never been lifted. 

I suspect that it's not the re-instated advisory per se but the fact that some insurance companies won't cover them with the advisory back in place.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, karebare22 said:

We’ve also assessed the risk, and are still planning to cruise on Dec 26. 

Us too.  No health issues, fully vaxxed, insurance still in effect, and sailing on NCL.  Feel pretty good about it, provided no new announcements come along to FUBAR it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, melbrook said:

I also wonder if anyone has experienced travel shaming?  When we planned a trip to Punta Cana in October we got a lot of comments and looks - like we were being irresponsible.  We genuinely felt guilt right up until the Advisory was lifted and we didn't feel like a criminal leaving the country!  

We were in Las Vegas back in Sept and then Riviera Maya in Nov.  Thankfully our employer(s) had no issues with it and we were transparent with them.  We followed all guidelines and were as safe as we could have been.  We also had plans in place in both cases should we have contracted Covid (we all had Covid back in April) and are fully vaccinated.  So from that standpoint there were no potential issues.  Most of our friends that we told never said anything about it.  With that said my wife did say to me on a few occasions that she definitely felt uneasy about both trips.  For me I didn't.  I do get how that feeling could crop up.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that it's not the re-instated advisory per se but the fact that some insurance companies won't cover them with the advisory back in place.

That makes sense but wouldn't a medical issue on a cruise also be voided by a No Cruise Advisory?   I am beginning to think I don't worry enough about my health coverage - we aren't spring chickens anymore!

• Like 1

We have had to cancel our cruise with Carnival in 23days. My wife works in LTC and because of the advisory and specifically calling out cruise ship she could face a 2 week quarantine before returning to work among other things.

Carnival was to say the least amazing about this. 

For those sailing I hope you have an adventure of a life time. For those who choose to cancel I hope your experience is as good as ours, as it has taken a lot of worry from us for the time being. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I believe you'll find that Princess has not changed their policy, and their website still says that they do cover hotel and meals (up to a limit) if you test positive at their on-shore testing site. Their web site is not laid out very well and you have to dig for the wording, but it is there.  Note that it appears you would have to pay for it yourself then get reimbursed.

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

I wish this eased my mind but it does not. I guess it depends on interpretation. One can test positive while still onboard and be “required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home” so I fear this might apply only to those who tested positive while still onboard. 

Is anyone aware of an individual who tested positive at the shoreside testing site and went on to have their quarantine expenses covered by Princess insurance?

2 hours ago, melbrook said:

Not really, although I do feel guilty sometimes about our choice and ability to travel these days.  I know not everyone is comfortable with that, everyone’s situation is different and I respect that. I did feel good about travelling in August though, when my strong anti-vax SIL left our family group chat after we posted pics of the great time we were having on our Rockies & Alaska cruise vacation. 😉

There is the risk of getting sick and dealing with the insurance implications and of course the medical implications of recovering from the virus.

There is also the real risk of being quarantined on the ship and having your vacation interrupted.  Omicron is easily transmitted and can spread quite easily in a closed environment like a cruise ship.  The challenge is once anyone tests positive for COVID, they must quarantine.  The risk is that should you have a rapidly spreading virus outbreak on a ship that significant numbers of crew and passengers will be forced to quarantine.  Anyone travelling must be prepared for this risk.

What is the risk that should a certain threshold of cases is reached that the voyage is terminated and returned to the nearest port and people are quarantined in a local hotel?  

Local news stations are reporting that Trudeau wanted more restrictions but the provinces pushed back, but more restrictions are coming Friday.  What is the risk that you will not be able to return to Canada when you need to?  What is the risk that while you are away even more restrictions are imposed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, melbrook said:

That makes sense but wouldn't a medical issue on a cruise also be voided by a No Cruise Advisory?   I am beginning to think I don't worry enough about my health coverage - we aren't spring chickens anymore!

That depends on your insurance company. In my case, my annual group policy with Johnson/Medoc provides COVID-related medical coverage, even with the two advisories in place. They won't cover cruise cancellation or trip interruption due to COVID, but all medical costs are fully covered. 

The Ontario modeling report today was startling. Data was a week old and the expectation is that Omicron is already the dominant strain in the province.

While outcomes may be better, given the highly infectious nature of the variant, sheer numbers may well overwhelm the health care system. For those of us in higher risk groups, airplanes and cruise ships seem to be a very bad idea. ☹️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

There is the risk of getting sick and dealing with the insurance implications and of course the medical implications of recovering from the virus.

There is also the real risk of being quarantined on the ship and having your vacation interrupted.  Omicron is easily transmitted and can spread quite easily in a closed environment like a cruise ship.  The challenge is once anyone tests positive for COVID, they must quarantine.  The risk is that should you have a rapidly spreading virus outbreak on a ship that significant numbers of crew and passengers will be forced to quarantine.  Anyone travelling must be prepared for this risk.

What is the risk that should a certain threshold of cases is reached that the voyage is terminated and returned to the nearest port and people are quarantined in a local hotel?  

Local news stations are reporting that Trudeau wanted more restrictions but the provinces pushed back, but more restrictions are coming Friday.  What is the risk that you will not be able to return to Canada when you need to?  What is the risk that while you are away even more restrictions are imposed?

All very good points.. 

I need to weigh those risks against slipping on the ice, I just want to be South so bad, but at what cost is the question at hand.  I wish I had the answer.

• Like 1