Move over offers or up sell offers

smj

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Move over offers or up sell offers

Are we talking about offers to upgrade cabins based on availability becoming available?  I'm in a Veranda for the 12/23 cruise on Riviera and have received a couple of emails over the past few days to upgrade (at full price, no discount) to a Concierge.  We had asked to be on the waitlist for that since there was no availability when we booked, but we decided we were fine with the Veranda.

I've noticed that quite a few levels have become available since the mask requirement came online.  Not sure if it is related to that, normal cancellations, or something else, but where the entire cruise was waitlisted last week, right now PH1-3, A1-3, and B1-2 have availability.  No idea how many of each are now available, however.

4 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

Are we talking about offers to upgrade cabins based on availability becoming available?  I'm in a Veranda for the 12/23 cruise on Riviera and have received a couple of emails over the past few days to upgrade (at full price, no discount) to a Concierge.  We had asked to be on the waitlist for that since there was no availability when we booked, but we decided we were fine with the Veranda.

I've noticed that quite a few levels have become available since the mask requirement came online.  Not sure if it is related to that, normal cancellations, or something else, but where the entire cruise was waitlisted last week, right now PH1-3, A1-3, and B1-2 have availability.  No idea how many of each are now available, however.

Generally an upsell refers to a reduced price to move up. 

Just now, ORV said:

Generally an upsell refers to a reduced price to move up. 

True.  And a 'move-over' refers to a sweetened deal to switch to a later sail date.  So it would be interesting to see what Oceania's approach is now on these two.  [In the past, I have been told, they never cut prices close to sail date but did offer sweetened deals to free up cabins in 'hot' categories.]

22 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

True.  And a 'move-over' refers to a sweetened deal to switch to a later sail date.  So it would be interesting to see what Oceania's approach is now on these two.  [In the past, I have been told, they never cut prices close to sail date but did offer sweetened deals to free up cabins in 'hot' categories.]

You might have been told wrong, just saying. 

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I might indeed.  What is your experience?

You might have noticed Flatbush mention more than once about certain TA's with "silent sales". These are reduced price sailings that are not advertised nor are they on the Oceania website. But it's kind of like the first rule of Fight Club. 

Also over the years have seen some really good offers for the cruises before or after one we've had booked if they have inventory. It does happen, just not to the extent of the Mass Market lines. 

Definitely not a "never" situation. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My sister and I received a fantastic move-over offer on our second O cruise.  Seems someone really wanted our concierge stateroom and O offered us an outside s/r +$$$$.

That equated to the cost we paid for the concierge to begin with; so in essence, we sailed for zero!  We couldn't beat that with a stick (as the saying goes!) so after discussing the offer, we accepted it!

Donna 

Something important I just realized I left out:  Prior to offering the great deal I mentioned, O did offer us move-overs to a couple of other cruises and some on different ships, all of which we declined.  Then they came up with the deal we accepted.

Edited by GeorgesGal
Added text

I would like to clarify my question. I consider an upsell offer as an offer to buy a higher category cabin at a reduced rate. I consider a move over offer to be an offer to move to a different cruise. Before COVID we often got offers. Some were great and some not so great. We are booked for Feb. I will let you all know what happens.

• Thanks 1

In the past, move over offers were typically made when Oceania had either oversold Guarantees, or needed to take booked cabins out of service for unexpected maintenance requirements.

A few years ago, Oceania wised up and rather dramatically reduced the number of Guarantees it sold, Therefore reducing the number of needed move over offers. With this, along with ships sailing with ~ 50% capacity, the needs to offer move overs to hugely absent. Unexpected maintenance needs can still occur on the few sold out ships.

• Like 1

In the past move over offers were more popular when they oversold the ship

Then they cut back the lists  so that was not happening as much

In the current covid environment  it is probably  less frequent now

Even if it looks like the ship is under sold  the may be using the vacant cabins for crew  that have to share  more than 2 to a cabin to keep the social distance  rule  for crew

Not sure how many share  1 cabin now on the O class ships

JMO