Travel insurance claim question

RSF Cruiser

I can’t seem to get a clear answer. I wonder if my situation has happened to others and what was your experience.

My husband is not feeling well and will see his doctor about getting a note to file a claim on our travel insurance so he can be reimbursed for losses from cancelling. If I still go on the cruise, do I have to pay the single supplement, or will Princess  consider the room already paid for since we have made our final payment? In other words, will he be reimbursed from the insurance company and I can go on the cruise at no additional cost?

Thanks 

If you have insurance (Princess Vacation Protection), you should be able to go on the cruise by yourself without paying for a single supplement.  

I'm not sure you can replace him with another person without them having to pay their share.  

38 minutes ago, iancal said:

Wouldn't you be better off calling your insurance provider for an accurate answer to our question???

Is it possible that the insurance company would not pay off if they knew the cabin was still being used?

49 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Is it possible that the insurance company would not pay off if they knew the cabin was still being used?

There is only one way to find out. 

Call the insurer and ask the question.

They are the ones that will be making the decision whether or not  to cut a cheque to satisfy/honor a insured's claim.

I should have thought the insurance would cover against cancelling the cruise.  In this respect normally that means cancelling the booking for you both.  If you sail alone I cannot see how you can claim against a cancellation.  When you think about it if you could have one person cancel and the other sail at no extra cost and the first person receive a refund for their half of the cruise fare, based on two persons travelling in a cabin it would revolutionise solo travellers.  They could obtain cancellation cover for any reason with one of them not wishing to sail then just before sailing collect the insurance money for the person not sailing and the remaining person would avoid the single supplement altogether.  Only your insurance company can definitively tell you what your options are.

Regards John

Keep in mind that unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, insurance companies have fairly strict criteria for what is required to cancel.  Not feeling well may not meet those requirements, unless there is a clear medical condition that meets the insurance company criteria.

Best talk to them first to find out if the insurance will cover canceling, if both must cancel, etc.

17 minutes ago, john watson said:

I should have thought the insurance would cover against cancelling the cruise.  In this respect normally that means cancelling the booking for you both.  If you sail alone I cannot see how you can claim against a cancellation.  When you think about it if you could have one person cancel and the other sail at no extra cost and the first person receive a refund for their half of the cruise fare, based on two persons travelling in a cabin it would revolutionise solo travellers.  They could obtain cancellation cover for any reason with one of them not wishing to sail then just before sailing collect the insurance money for the person not sailing and the remaining person would avoid the single supplement altogether.  Only your insurance company can definitively tell you what your options are.

Regards John

Get two people that normal travel solo and they could alternate who cruises and who cancels. 🙄

Just to be clear, I did talk with the insurance company and they would not answer until a claim had been filed. As I said in my original post, I’m interested in the experience others have had. Meaning what happened to you if one cancelled for a covered medical reason and the other went in the cruise. Please don’t tell me to contact the insurance company - I know that and did. Please answer only if you have experienced the situation I am asking about. 

44 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Just to be clear, I did talk with the insurance company and they would not answer until a claim had been filed. As I said in my original post, I’m interested in the experience others have had. Meaning what happened to you if one cancelled for a covered medical reason and the other went in the cruise. Please don’t tell me to contact the insurance company - I know that and did. Please answer only if you have experienced the situation I am asking about. 

I would expect that you will need to provide proof of actual loss of funds.  I had a friend who booked our two cabins through his TA and paid upfront.  When he couldn't go on the cruise for health reasons, the insurance wanted to know if we had reimbursed him yet for our stateroom.  We had to send in an affidavit under oath that we hadn't already reimbursed him for our cabin.

You may need to show that your husband's part of the fare was forfeited to the cruise line which would mean it's gone.

• Like 1

Used insurance once (wife broke wrist skiing).  To get coverage both people had to cancel.

However, I was able to discuss coverage with my insurance company prior to filing.  The answered my questions and told me exactly what information I needed to submit when I did file.

Somewhat amazed that your insurance company would not talk to you without a claim being filed.  Would not use that company again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Please answer only if you have experienced the situation I am asking about. 

Nobody on this forum can answer the question for you since you are not using Princess insurance and not naming the insurance company you are using and the type policy you purchased.

Only someone why has experience with the same (unnamed) insurance company you are using could provide a useful answer.

• Like 3

Generally speaking insurance companies do not like to discuss potential claims on the basis that someone might or might not make a claim.  If you need to make a claim you just do it not discuss maybe maybe not as they tend to think of this as disingenuous. 

Regards John

• Haha 1