Vaccinations

boozrcruzr

This may already be out there, but if you have to show a negative result 24 hours pryor to embarkation, and you are driving into Galveston on a Saturday,  basically a 2 day drive for us ,what are the chances of finding a testing facility let alone getting your results back that quick. I live in small town USA so I'm not sure how it all works. We've never been tested although had our vaccinations and booster. Just curious.

3 minutes ago, boozrcruzr said:

This may already be out there, but if you have to show a negative result 24 hours pryor to embarkation, and you are driving into Galveston on a Saturday,  basically a 2 day drive for us ,what are the chances of finding a testing facility let alone getting your results back that quick. I live in small town USA so I'm not sure how it all works. We've never been tested although had our vaccinations and booster. Just curious.

1.  order the emed test online or 2.  take test at the port if you can't find a spot to take the test elsewhere.  I saw people doing this in Galveston last month.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The testing requirement is up to 2 days prior (example: Sat cruise can test on Thurs), so book a rapid test appointment (at CVS, Walgreen's, etc) for first thing in the morning before you start your drive to Galveston.  Results are usually available within an hour.

What's the cost at places like Walgteens, CVS, etc?

33 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

1.  order the emed test online or 2.  take test at the port if you can't find a spot to take the test elsewhere.  I saw people doing this in Galveston last month.

'

THIS!!!! So simple and stress free.

Also you can test Day 2, Day 1 and Day 0 (day of cruise)

image.thumb.png.c6b1357b811be7bf8b7aed401a142992.png

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Thank  you jean87510. This may be an option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The testing requirement is up to 2 days prior (example: Sat cruise can test on Thurs), so book a rapid test appointment (at CVS, Walgreen's, etc) for first thing in the morning before you start your drive to Galveston.  Results are usually available within an hour.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Unless you have another reason to "hang" around Galveston (if you test positive), I would highly advise doing the rapid test (emed or drugstore chain), prior to leaving for the cruise.

P.S.  CVS opens appointments 13 days prior.  IIRC, Walgreen's opens 2 days prior.

Edited by Another_Critic

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it depends. Our CVSs open appointments 14 days in advance, and Walgreens - 5 days in advance.

And in my area Walgreens is 7 days; CVS is 14 days. 

Others on CruiseCritic have reported pharmacies canceling their tests at the last minute. A few have reported issues with their emed tests (like finding an empty bottle when you open the kit during teleconference). So best to have a backup plan.  For example, you might schedule a test at a pharmacy near home or along your route, and also yet still order and pack the emed tests as a backup.  Or if you decide to go with emed tests, order a couple spares in case there is an problem the first time.

I also recommend a BinaxNOW emed appointment test.  If you are on a 2 day drive, then you'll be at a hotel the night before the cruise, right?  Take the test in your hotel room.

My son has taken about 6 of these in recent months with work, travel, possible exposure, and they have always been quick and easy for him.  You can order the test kits and the appointment right from the Navica app on your phone. Have the test kits delivered before you leave home.  Then, do the test at the hotel.

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Others on CruiseCritic have reported pharmacies canceling their tests at the last minute.

yeap, that's the reason I made our appointments at CVS, and backup appointments at Walgreens, and another backup appt for the kid at another CVS. 🙂 We only needed the former.